Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bub Built Trac Bar installed .... no more axle wrap

Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Bub Built Trac Bar installed .... no more axle wrap

I got around to installing my trac bar today.

With the flexy alcans and the S/C I was always battling axle wrap issues and some slight vibes.

The one piece drive shaft took care of the take off shake, but I always had a driveline vibe at WOT when the pinion would turn up. ..

not anymore.

This is a nice little bolt on design and totally eliminated my issues

The beefy brackets bolts to the diff once you swap out 5 of the studs for the supplied longer ones

the front shackle mount bolts to the cross member directly next to the carrier bearing. I did have to trim the CB mount a bit to ensure enough clearance for the shackle (1/4" or so).

The bar is very stout with 1.20 wall DOM. The shackle mount allows full suspension travel without binding ( including articulation).

It hugs the driveshaft pretty well too. It would actually protect is from damage as well. ( it hangs about 1/4" below the DS.,

Its a pretty straight forward install and I would recommend it for anyone who has soft rear springs and some added power. The also have a weld on version that you can weld mounts to the rear axle housing if you wanted to do it that way,

Justin
Old 08-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
bout time :P
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
bout time :P
maybe a new record. I have been moving it around the garage for the past 4 months lol

Justin
Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

understandable. im still slowly gettin the crawl box finished up. Nick did a great job on the shift boots he made for me. i just have a crossmember that needs to get fabbed up
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
understandable. im still slowly gettin the crawl box finished up. Nick did a great job on the shift boots he made for me. i just have a crossmember that needs to get fabbed up
Nick does good work. I need to go see him about a headliner for my car...
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i had one on the MonkeyCrawler and it worked great until i was hung up on a rock..tore the bracket from the housing ripping out a few studs along with it. i also twisted a rear axle and busted an output shaft from the tcase..all pretty much at the same time
Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
Nick does good work. I need to go see him about a headliner for my car...
yeah, i also got the console lid done and he gave me a great price. kinda want to get my arm rests done now
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
i had one on the MonkeyCrawler and it worked great until i was hung up on a rock..tore the bracket from the housing ripping out a few studs along with it. i also twisted a rear axle and busted an output shaft from the tcase..all pretty much at the same time
Not gonna lie, I laugh everytime I see you post the name "MokeyCrawler". I get a big smile and giggle to myself. Hehe MonkeyCrawler.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!

Keep an eye on it...I stayed away from the Budbuilt for my traction bar because I had worries about tweaking the studs, loosening the nuts, and possibly causing differential leaks/alignment problems.

Re-torque 'em sometime soon and let us know if anything crops up.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Looks good!

Keep an eye on it...I stayed away from the Budbuilt for my traction bar because I had worries about tweaking the studs, loosening the nuts, and possibly causing differential leaks/alignment problems.

Re-torque 'em sometime soon and let us know if anything crops up.

This is the third budbuilt Bar I have had ( one on my 99, one on the X, and this one)

I had a diff leak on the X, but I did not let the diff drain for very long when swapping the studs.

I learned a few lessons

I let the diff drain over night, and I clean the threads with brake clean before I install. I use liberal loctite and i put a bead of high temp black RTV around the stud before I put in the spacers, then let that dry for the day before I refilled it.

I think I will be ok on this one

Factory spec is 18 ft lb for the nuts.

When it comes time that I really beat on this thing. I will probably make my own weld on mounts and just built a new cross member for the front mount ( I dont use the stock one to mount anything to other than this bar).

but thats further down the road. This should do the trick for now

Justin