Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

what springs for my 5100's

Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
what springs for my 5100's

i have 5100's with stock sport springs.

i wanna get different springs to put on so i dont have to have so much preload cause its currently at 2.5

what do you guys recommend?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
OME 884's work well which is what I run with a top plate spacer for a full 3" lift. They seem to work well with the 5100's,
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
885's
x2.............im gonna run a 1/4" inch spacer on the right and 1/2" on left for the taco lean and get as close to 3" as possible.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
885's
x2. 884's for just over 2" of lift, 885's for closer to 3" of lift with your prerunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
Eibachs from toytech are designed to work with the 5100's
That they are... but they're a stiff coil and have to be preloaded to get 2.5" of lift.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrom32 View Post
Sorry to be a noob but what does he mean by to much preload? I just got my 5100's in the mail and am going to install them soon with factory coils at 1.75". Will I be ok with that?
Preload is compression added to the coils before putting them on the truck. The 5100's have 4 settings, 0, .85, 1.75 and 2.5. At 0, that's no preload. Any of the other settings pre-compress the coil to provide lift but the trade off is you essentially have a stiffer coil.

For the SR5 and TRD Sport coils, the preload isn't as bad. TRD Off Road coils are progressive so when you preload them, they become much much stiffer than stock and can make for an unpleasant ride. Safety-wise, you can preload any of the coils to 2.5. For ride comfort, I wouldn't preload TRD Off Road coils past the 1.75 setting.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
Eibachs from toytech are designed to work with the 5100's
I just requested the shop that's doing my lift get these for me. At first the manager seemed pretty reluctant seeing as Eibach only sells them to Toytec. After calling his buddy over at Eibach though, he wouldn't let me order any other spring.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry to be a noob but what does he mean by to much preload? I just got my 5100's in the mail and am going to install them soon with factory coils at 1.75". Will I be ok with that?
.85 with the Eibachs is the most. 0 with the OMEs
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
I just requested the shop that's doing my lift get these for me. At first the manager seemed pretty reluctant seeing as Eibach only sells them to Toytec. After calling his buddy over at Eibach though, he wouldn't let me order any other spring.
Why wouldn't be let you get any other spring? Did he give a reason? Sounds like he just fell for the sales pitch hook, line and sinker... There are a lot of other options out there as good or better than Eibachs.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why wouldn't be let you get any other spring? Did he give a reason? Sounds like he just fell for the sales pitch hook, line and sinker... There are a lot of other options out there as good or better than Eibachs.
Well after he said they could only get them from Toytec, I assumed he wouldn't want to so I asked what he'd suggest that he could get from his suppliers. He said something along the lines of, he spoke to Eibach and even though it's more of a pain in the ass getting them from Toytec, "they really have something that works" as the springs are made solely for Toytec. I'm in no way saying others are inferior, I would've gone OME in a heartbeat, just interesting to hear a salesmen support the harder/more spendy option after he did some research.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have an 05' SR5. . .I think im going to go to 1.75" only because thats what is close to matching the rear height right? And that means the SR5 coils should be okay?
Yes, they'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
Well after he said they could only get them from Toytec, I assumed he wouldn't want to so I asked what he'd suggest that he could get from his suppliers. He said something along the lines of, he spoke to Eibach and even though it's more of a pain in the ass getting them from Toytec, "they really have something that works" as the springs are made solely for Toytec. I'm in no way saying others are inferior, I would've gone OME in a heartbeat, just interesting to hear a salesmen support the harder/more spendy option after he did some research.
I was just curious of his reasoning. I have Eibachs, they're a decent coil for the money but I wouldn't omit others, I just found a good price on them
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed very little diff. In ride quality from 1.75 with sr5 coils to 0 setting and 885s for what it's worth