Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Old Man Emu Suspension Question (2012 Taco)

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Makin' it Hail
Kylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 89D EOD
Name: Rick
Kylsix's Tacoma Gallery
Old Man Emu Suspension Question (2012 Taco)

I've been shopping around for OME suspension and lifts, I found some good stuff on what I'll need, but I was looking for information more specific to a 2012 Tacoma, which seems to be limited still. Everything I have seems to apply to Gen 1's, not Gen 2's.

I'd like to put a 2.75" OME lift on my 2012 Taco. What exact parts do I need to accomplish a 2.75" lift? Any idea how much it might cost?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
As long as your are looking at 2nd gen you are getting the correct information. Sounds like you will want the 885 coils. They should give you about 2.5" of lift up front. If you want to get to 2.75" you would need an 1/8" top plate space but I don't think anyone makes one. You could go with a 1/4" top plate space but that would put you around 3" up front. You can also do the trim packer to help with the drivers side taco lean. As for the rear you can go with an 1.5" or 2" AAL either single leaf or progressive 3 pack OR you can go with the full Dakar leaf spring with the OME kit. There is a thread that has the average lifts achieved with the Dakar pack.

As for price...I found the whole kit for just over $1000 with free shipping from Scott at Truck-Add-Ons (vendor on this site) but I ended up going with 884's (just under 2" of lift up front) and an Icon progressive 3 pack for the rear (got 2" because I left the over load leaf in).

Also when you get the front up around 2.5" or more you may need to go with new UCA's.

Good Luck...
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
As long as your are looking at 2nd gen you are getting the correct information. Sounds like you will want the 885 coils. They should give you about 2.5" of lift up front. If you want to get to 2.75" you would need an 1/8" top plate space but I don't think anyone makes one. You could go with a 1/4" top plate space but that would put you around 3" up front. You can also do the trim packer to help with the drivers side taco lean. As for the rear you can go with an 1.5" or 2" AAL either single leaf or progressive 3 pack OR you can go with the full Dakar leaf spring with the OME kit. There is a thread that has the average lifts achieved with the Dakar pack.

As for price...I found the whole kit for just over $1000 with free shipping from Scott at Truck-Add-Ons (vendor on this site) but I ended up going with 884's (just under 2" of lift up front) and an Icon progressive 3 pack for the rear (got 2" because I left the over load leaf in).

Also when you get the front up around 2.5" or more you may need to go with new UCA's.

Good Luck...
Whenever someone asks this question I'm going to copy & paste this info.. Good stuff
Old 08-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Search 885 coils.
Tons of info around here. Some can get kind of confusing, but it should all clear up. I have read over many many threads on this topic, and have finally made my decision. I am pulling the trigger this coming week. Woot!
You can always call toytech. I did and they confirmed what I had suspected, and he helped me make up my mind. Real nice helpful guy I talked to.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Whenever someone asks this question I'm going to copy & paste this info.. Good stuff
Yeah I read about this stuff until my eyes were bleeding so I gotta share what I learned...
Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Makin' it Hail
Kylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 89D EOD
Name: Rick
Kylsix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good Luck...
That's awesome info, thanks man. If I understand correctly, you don't lift the front end as much?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylsix View Post
That's awesome info, thanks man. If I understand correctly, you don't lift the front end as much?
It depends on the look or function you want. I like my truck to have a little rake and I had no need to go any higher up front.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I read about this stuff until my eyes were bleeding so I gotta share what I learned...
X2 I did the same, good stuff none-the-less.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Hang on, I saw this done in a cartoon once!
mdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mdkingen's Tacoma Gallery
I went the old man emu route on my 2012 regular cab. I went with 884 springs with no 1/2 inch spacers as it is a regular cab and it shoved the front end up 2 and 3/4 inches. I was told not to worry about uca's until I get to 3 inches and I have had no problems what-so-ever, aligned just fine. I did an A.A.L. in the rear and it is very stiff and a little too high for my liking. I would go with a new leaf pack next time or maybe just a 1 inch block. Purchased through toy tec and it was $850.09 with coils and struts assembled.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
bsmith123 is on a distinguished road
bsmith123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkingen View Post
I went the old man emu route on my 2012 regular cab. I went with 884 springs with no 1/2 inch spacers as it is a regular cab and it shoved the front end up 2 and 3/4 inches. I was told not to worry about uca's until I get to 3 inches and I have had no problems what-so-ever, aligned just fine. I did an A.A.L. in the rear and it is very stiff and a little too high for my liking. I would go with a new leaf pack next time or maybe just a 1 inch block. Purchased through toy tec and it was $850.09 with coils and struts assembled.
looks nice i have and need the double cab but love the single cabs---first truck Ive seen with the same wheels as me but I have Duratracs on mine

well I ordered the same lift---I have a shell on the back and DC so I hope the aal isnt too stiff, I could have waited and got the full leaf and will wind up ponying up extra for lack of patience

One thing I will try though ---on my fj40 my rear leaf pak was the hell creek 4 inch and it was horrible stiff---took 2 leaves out and went rolling over some whoops and put some weight in the back---after that the back dropped and I put 1 leaf back in and it rode like a champ after that

or I might just try putting weight in--my 40 was so stiff it was like no suspension so I went a little more drastic

so now I am a believer in what has been said many times that putting some weight in and flex'in a bit can make a huge improvement--hope that tames the AAL lift as well

kinda regret not getting the dakar leafs but also kinda sucking wind through my teeth at the rate of spending on my truck---I know everyone here can relate
Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Just a word of advice to the OP as I tell everyone this...

Do not waste your time or money on a diff drop...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
COMPLETE OME SUSPENSION SYSTEM WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED for 05-CURRENT TACOMA:1110.00 Includes NitroCharger front and rear shocks, 885 front coil springs, Dakar rear leaf springs w/ bushings, front trim packer, driveline bearing drop kit and u-bolts! Normally we'd supply 885 front coils but if you have another preference let us know. The price is the same regardless of which coils you choose.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
Quote:

Good Luck...

the wheelers listing does not claim a 2.5" lift.
in fact, the description for 885 coil states

Lift Info:
05+ TACOMA:
- Provides approximately 1.75″ lift on a stock Tacoma 4◊4 with no Bull-Bar or Winch.

It seems nobody makes longer coils that will provide 3" lift on a 4x4 2nd Gen. and all say to add spacers to get the full 3" lift, knowing how bad spacers are, this completely defeats the purpose of getting the spring.

eibach only provides 1.6" lift on 2nd gen, and toytech sells spacers to get the 3" lift.

actually, the same eibach coil provides a 3"lift on first gen. without spacers so I'm thinking they just never designed or manufactured newer springs for the 2nd gen and just sells the original/old springs as is and tell you to add spacer or bump up the 5100 to 0.85 to get 3" (1.6" + 0.85" + 0.5" spacer ) on 2nd gen. Seems to me like paying a lot and not getting an optimal solution.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You'll get 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" lift from 885's
Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You'll get 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" lift from 885's
this is directly from old man emu website.
http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-...sion-selector/
I consider this information "authoritative". 50mm is about 2" lift.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #16
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah , I know

You'll get more like 2 1/2" , everybody does