LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear suspension moron in need of assistance

Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Rear suspension moron in need of assistance

I tried sifting through the multiple threads on rear suspension and nothing has come close to answering my questions. Most of them cover lifts and getting extra height. I'm pretty well versed on what's going on under the hood and around the vehicle, but when it come to the drive line and suspension, I'm pretty damn ignorant. Here's my scenario.

I was under the truck a few weeks back torquing my loose u-bolts and I noticed the OEM 3-leaf pack was flat. No curve to it at all. I found out the previous owner did a lot of towing with the truck so I guess he wore out the rear suspension. I don't have any odd bouncing or anything of the nature to suggest everything is dead, but I'm guessing it's a matter of time before the flat leafs kill the rear shocks. My plan is to put 5100s all around, reuse the stock springs up front, and set the billies at 1.75. I want to replace the flat rear leafs only I'm not looking for a major lift. I'd like to keep it as close to stock height as I can. Or at least level. No funny car stance. I realize I'll get some lift with a new leaf pack but I'm trying to keep it as level as I can. This is strictly a street vehicle. I don't off road and I don't tow. I haul things from time to time, but that's about the extent of it.

What options do I have available for the rear? I'm guessing a set of all pros or dakars will have too much of a lift in the rear and give me that dragster look I'm trying to avoid. I've read that wheelers makes a 5-leaf set that might be up my alley. I'm just completely clueless about this stuff and I'm open to suggestions. Can any of you suspension gurus give me a hand?

TIA
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
You could just re-arch the leafs you have on there now.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You could just re-arch the leafs you have on there now.
I've thought about that. Having the packs refurbished. But I'd like to add a little strength for when I haul if at all possible. That would mean an AAL. After the cost of refurb and an AAL, it's probably easier to just replace the packs.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I think alcan makes custom leaf packs, give them a call and tell them what you want.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Deavers makes leafs with ~1.5" of lift, right?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your eyes out and you might find someone getting rid of their stock pack. Otherwise I like the custom leaf pack idea.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I actually have 2x TSB pack with 1.5in add-a-leaf sitting in my storage unit. They had about 22k miles on them, many offroad, before being taken off the truck. They're still in serviceable condition.

Interest? I could ship through Fastenal and get you a quote sometime this week if so.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I actually have 2x TSB pack with 1.5in add-a-leaf sitting in my storage unit. They had about 22k miles on them, many offroad, before being taken off the truck. They're still in serviceable condition.

Interest? I could ship through Fastenal and get you a quote sometime this week if so.
Thanks but I'm preferring to go aftermarket. I don't want to be in the same boat 60K miles from now.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
jandrews, I am interested in your spring pack. PM sent
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
PM replied.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
I did a little research into the Alcan and Deavers sets. Though they meet the height requirements I'm looking for, they reduce the weight capacity of the truck. I still need to be able to haul stuff. Looks like these sets are more for off-road and racing. It looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with something like an allpro standard set.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
I did a little research into the Alcan and Deavers sets. Though they meet the height requirements I'm looking for, they reduce the weight capacity of the truck. I still need to be able to haul stuff. Looks like these sets are more for off-road and racing. It looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with something like an allpro standard set.
Alcan and Deaver will custom make any carrying capacity you need.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
CRU, I suggest for your needs one of two things.

1) Contact "4WD" a member here for the suspension you want.

2) Go to a local to you "Spring Shop" and talk with / have built exactly what you need.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
Just go with the Standard leaf replacement from All Pro Offroad. The 3" Standard leaf pack will give you the extra height needed to work with the fronts, are a great stock replacement, and they are not pricey either. I purchased the "Expedition" leaf pack from them but may step down to the "Standard" Pack because I never haul anything and the rear rides stiff. The All Pro leafs are good quality. I would like Custom Alcan leafs for my setup but they are a little pricey for me.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05taco...omaleafsprings
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you want stock height and better ability to handle loads, check out air bags. This is the easiest solution by far and cheaper than a new leaf pack. They are also adjustable to the load you're carrying.

Next option, talk to 4WD, he slips other leafs into a stock leaf pack to build up a leaf pack. The downside, it's a little guess and check but it's cheap and, when you get it right, you'll have a nice, smooth riding truck with the load capacity you want.

Last, and most expensive option, have Alcan custom make you a leaf pack. This will cost you between $5-600 but they can make you a custom leaf pack to your specifications. You'd need to give them the 'normal load' which is whatever you carry all day every day, the max load and the ride height. They'll figure out how to make it work.

Also, one thing to realize is that the stock Tacoma leaf pack is pretty flat anyways. It doesn't have a nice arch like other trucks. I was able to tell that my leafs were shot because I was planted on the overload leaf full time.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you want stock height and better ability to handle loads, check out air bags. This is the easiest solution by far and cheaper than a new leaf pack. They are also adjustable to the load you're carrying.

Next option, talk to 4WD, he slips other leafs into a stock leaf pack to build up a leaf pack. The downside, it's a little guess and check but it's cheap and, when you get it right, you'll have a nice, smooth riding truck with the load capacity you want.

Last, and most expensive option, have Alcan custom make you a leaf pack. This will cost you between $5-600 but they can make you a custom leaf pack to your specifications. You'd need to give them the 'normal load' which is whatever you carry all day every day, the max load and the ride height. They'll figure out how to make it work.

Also, one thing to realize is that the stock Tacoma leaf pack is pretty flat anyways. It doesn't have a nice arch like other trucks. I was able to tell that my leafs were shot because I was planted on the overload leaf full time.
Great info. Thanks Pugga. And thanks to everyone else. Looks like I have a lot to think about.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
CRU, Going to a local spring shop and having one leaf added to your existing spring pack should run around $300 installed. You tell them what you want, they build it and install it. You drive away with exactly what you want.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
CRU, Going to a local spring shop and having one leaf added to your existing spring pack should run around $300 installed. You tell them what you want, they build it and install it. You drive away with exactly what you want.
Wholly Sheet Batman, a $300 AAL?!?!?!

I'd use 4WD's method long before I shelled out that kind of money for a 'custom' AAL.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Pugga, I agree with you. But if he does not have the tools, time and location, then a local shop is the next best thing to 4WD method, You can also have a shop make exactly what you want and install it yourself, cost is usuallly $50 a spring, so $100+U-bolts etc.. This will be Amertican steel, whatever thickness and length you choose. This is not China steel like so many of the AALs.

I am trying to give him all of the options for him to make a choice that best fits his needs and budget.