1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL Questions for '05 TRD DCSB

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by timebak, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    timebak

timebak [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northeast Missouri
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    ICON Progressive AAL's, Bilstein 5100's, Hunter Side Steps, AFE Pro Dry S filter, Carbon Filter removed, Undercover bed cover, Seat Saver camo seat covers, Weathertech mats F&R, Console organizer, heavy duty mud flaps.
    I've read the sticky for AAL install for 2nd Gen and didn't find the answer to these questions: I've got an '05 Taco DCSB TRD 4x4 with non-TSB springs and need to do AAL's or helper springs.

1) I've seen the AAL kits on eBay that have either 20" or 32" leaves. Which one do I need? What's the functional difference between the two different lengths?

2) Most kits I've seen for my truck do not have new U-bolts. Do I need them or not?

3) Are there any of the kits (or suppliers) on eBay that I should avoid?

BTW: Part of the project is going to be installing a full set of 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports. I'll get the kit that's made for 1 to 2" of rear lift.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Usually the longer the smoother with an aal but why not get the icon progressive 3 leaf aal from DSM? Or a tacoma specific aal from some place like toytec.

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    timebak

timebak [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northeast Missouri
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    ICON Progressive AAL's, Bilstein 5100's, Hunter Side Steps, AFE Pro Dry S filter, Carbon Filter removed, Undercover bed cover, Seat Saver camo seat covers, Weathertech mats F&R, Console organizer, heavy duty mud flaps.
    greenrustic and wolfpack: Y'all sold me on the Icon progressive. Ordering the 5100's and Icons from DSM today.

Thanks guys, you gave me exactly the info I needed. My truck mod budget is very tight and I have to make the right choices the first time. This is a great forum.

Tim

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    You've made a wise choice my friend. Good luck.

5. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    timebak

timebak [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Northeast Missouri
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Weekend before last I got my new ICON progressive AAL's and all four Bilstein 5100's installed. WOW!! What a difference in the way my rig rides now. I live on a very rough road and used to get beaten to a pulp with the stock springs and shocks. Ride is much more controlled and smooth. Thanks for the great advice on the ICON progressives.

I started with the rear axle and quickly discovered that I needed an impact wrench to get the stock U-bolts loose in a reasonable amount of time. My impact wrench is in Alabama, so off to Ace Hardware I went and returned with the top-of-the-line Craftsman pneumatic impact wrench and a large set of metric impact sockets. Made quick work of that job and was very handy for the rest of the project. No problems installing the AAL's and rear shocks, except that I had to use a saws-all to cut off the top shock mounting stud due to salt rust.

For the front-end, I used the method I found on this site where I didn't have to use a spring compressor to get the struts apart and back together. Worked like a champ, once I got the sway bar removed, which was no problem with the new impact wrench. I measured after finishing the rear end and determined that I needed to set the front shocks for .85" lift, which would level out the truck perfectly with the new AAL's and rear shocks. Again, worked perfectly. Truck looks great with the slightly higher and level ride now. Took it to the alignment shop and they had to tweak the toe-in a little. Caster, camber and everything else was perfect, so marking everything before loosening worked like a champ also.

This is an awesome site. Thanks for all the good advice guys!!

Products Discussed in

To Top