Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3leaf aal questions

Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
DPCardoza is on a distinguished road
DPCardoza's Tacoma Gallery
3leaf aal questions

Ive got a question about installing a wheeler 3 leaf progressive aal. The instructions say it will work with and without the overload leaf. Any opinions out there as to which one is better than the other. Other than height, is there any advantages or disadvantages to either. I planned on putting 5100's in the front but have no immediate plans to do anything to the rear shocks.
Cheers
Darren
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on carrying heavy loads, I'd leave the overload in place. If not, leave it out for more flex.

For daily driving, the overload being there will not have any affect.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you plan on carrying heavy loads, I'd leave the overload in place. If not, leave it out for more flex.

For daily driving, the overload being there will not have any affect.
Mostly installing it because I'm buying a 3900lb/550lb tongue weight trailer soon. No off roading at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
Mostly installing it because I'm buying a 3900lb/550lb tongue weight trailer soon. No off roading at all.
That AAL might not have been my first choice if that was the reasoning behind the purchase. It's a progressive AAL so initially is squats quite a bit under load. With that kind of tongue weight, you'll be on the overload leaf with this AAL or damn close to it. It'll handle the weight, but you'll be ass-low when towing.

Are you going to be using a weight distributing system?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I had one and I really liked it. I didnt tow or haul anything heavier than a 2wd quad though. You will want to get extended brake lines with those leafs too.

You might have been better off getting some firestone air bags.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
I have airbags already. My goal of the progressive aal is to raise the truck up a bit, level it out but not make it so rigid when unloaded.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
For your purposes I would leave the over load in. I am learning that the progressive aal offers a nice ride but doesn't do that much for a load. I installed an Icon 1.5" progressive aal, basically the same thing, and left the overload in. At first I got about 2.25" after 800 miles it settled to 2" I expect it to settle more. As of right now I have the stock rear Billy shocks from my sport but I will be upgrading them shortly to the OME rear shocks. I have a feeling that my stock pack and AAL will give me about 40,000 miles or less (less than two years for me) until it will be replace with a dakar pack. I think with the air bags you should have a nice set up for towing and loads.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have airbags already. My goal of the progressive aal is to raise the truck up a bit, level it out but not make it so rigid when unloaded.
then you are gonna be good to go. I had a single AAL at first and thought my truck rode very stiff in the rear so I switched to the wheelers 3 pack and 5100's and it was a huge inprovement in ride quality. so much smoother. I did not use the OL leaf though.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have air bags then the only reason you'd leave the overload in place is height. You shouldn't ever be sitting on the overload with the air bags.