1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway Bar bushing replacements

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 07TacoRidah, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I found some still new bushings laying around in my tool box today when I was seeing how to get the strut off, I got them from Pepboys a while back but they seem brand new. Anyhow when I put in a set on one sid (driver), I go to the other side (pass) and finish that side, put the rims back on and drop it, I noticed that the driver side top bushing is torn some. When it happened the first time, I looked at the bushing and it tore some nasty, enough for me to not trust it again lol. I don't know why this is happening, this is the second one and I BARELY got finished tightening the bolt for the other side. I put it all back on for now in case I have to get my ass somewhere, but is this okay? I made sure that the bushing sat in the grooves properly and tightened the bushings down all the way to the end of the threading.

Did I do something wrong?

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    You need to post pictures of what you are attempting to describe, because you are as clear as mud.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    damn, okay, will be posting when I have a chance, it's too hot out right now. Will be snapping shots and posting via TW Live.

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    this is what I was talking about. I don't know why it did that twice. am I not supposed to tighten the bolt too much? I don't want it coming loose though, etc. when I removed the stock ones, the bolt seemed very tight on the joint thing on the lca. is it okay to ride like this? I do a lot of city traveling, no off roading what so ever on this truck.

500.jpg

5. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC TRD Supercharger URD 2.2 and 7th
    What are the bushings made of? I've never seen a poly bushing do that...

6. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    when I got these, they the package said it was for sway bars. I used to use these on my old dakota and blazer with no problems. I still have the stock ones, I took them off mainly cause I saw some dry rot on one of them, in particular, the driver side upper bushing.

7. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yes. You left the swaybar on the truck.

8. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    the bottom ones are fine, it's just that side I guess, not sure wtf is going on. I might replace the top ones with the stocks that were on the bottom. I'll snap a shot of how the stock top bushings looked like when I took them off. They also looked as if they were squished in there. The stock bottoms don't look at all that bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top