Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Sway Bar bushing replacements

Old 08-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Sway Bar bushing replacements

I found some still new bushings laying around in my tool box today when I was seeing how to get the strut off, I got them from Pepboys a while back but they seem brand new. Anyhow when I put in a set on one sid (driver), I go to the other side (pass) and finish that side, put the rims back on and drop it, I noticed that the driver side top bushing is torn some. When it happened the first time, I looked at the bushing and it tore some nasty, enough for me to not trust it again lol. I don't know why this is happening, this is the second one and I BARELY got finished tightening the bolt for the other side. I put it all back on for now in case I have to get my ass somewhere, but is this okay? I made sure that the bushing sat in the grooves properly and tightened the bushings down all the way to the end of the threading.

Did I do something wrong?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
You need to post pictures of what you are attempting to describe, because you are as clear as mud.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

this is what I was talking about. I don't know why it did that twice. am I not supposed to tighten the bolt too much? I don't want it coming loose though, etc. when I removed the stock ones, the bolt seemed very tight on the joint thing on the lca. is it okay to ride like this? I do a lot of city traveling, no off roading what so ever on this truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Sway Bar bushing replacements-500.jpg  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
What are the bushings made of? I've never seen a poly bushing do that...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

when I got these, they the package said it was for sway bars. I used to use these on my old dakota and blazer with no problems. I still have the stock ones, I took them off mainly cause I saw some dry rot on one of them, in particular, the driver side upper bushing.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
Did I do something wrong?
Yes. You left the swaybar on the truck.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #8

the bottom ones are fine, it's just that side I guess, not sure wtf is going on. I might replace the top ones with the stocks that were on the bottom. I'll snap a shot of how the stock top bushings looked like when I took them off. They also looked as if they were squished in there. The stock bottoms don't look at all that bad.