Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best lift kit for Prerunner

Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
abcdleines is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
abcdleines's Tacoma Gallery
Best lift kit for Prerunner

Posted this on the ToyTec page but thought it would be better here,so...Have a 2012 DCSB Prerunner with a Leer 180. Need to lift her up a little. Not so much for off roading, though I will take her on fire roads to do a little target practicing, but for easier access into the cab. I'm 6'3" , 280#. Once in, I am very comfortable. So after reading post after post after post, I'm still confused. Here is what I would like for my truck. 2 to 3 in lift, little better ride quality and NOT having to change out uppers and lowers. Last question, will I need to get a wheel alignment when all is said and done. Please remember this is for a PRERUNNER not a 4WD. Thanks all, love my truck and this forum. Brett
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Spindle lift will maintain the same ride without haveing to get new LCA's and UCA's.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
A spindle will lift you about 4" up front, and what ive read suggests you may still need new uca's. At best it will keep the same ride quality you have now, it wont improve it any. You sholdnt need to replace your lca's for any of this tho.

If you dont want to replace your uca's, then you need to stay under 2.5" up front, 2" to be safe. You can get that done in a variety of ways, the most popular option on here for that being the bilstien 5100's, but again, they will likely not make your ride quality any better, and may be slightly worse, opinions vary. Pair those with an aal (add a leaf) in the back.

You will prolly need an alignment and thats usually done when you get new tires put on, unless your not getting new tires, in which case a lift with 265's will look kinda odd, so unless you do spindles or uca replacement you may not need one, not sure tho.

You could also use *gasp* spacers and blocks, but if youve already searched on here you know that option is not recommended and will definately result in a worse ride.

If your gonna lift at all tho, save up and do it right from the start imo.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles FTW
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
A spindle will lift you about 4" up front, and what ive read suggests you may still need new uca's. At best it will keep the same ride quality you have now, it wont improve it any. You sholdnt need to replace your lca's for any of this tho.

someone please correct me if im wrong, but with spindles, and only spindles you do not need new UCAs

If you dont want to replace your uca's, then you need to stay under 2.5" up front, 2" to be safe. You can get that done in a variety of ways, the most popular option on here for that being the bilstien 5100's, but again, they will likely not make your ride quality any better, and may be slightly worse, opinions vary. Pair those with an aal (add a leaf) in the back.

You will prolly need an alignment and thats usually done when you get new tires put on, unless your not getting new tires, in which case a lift with 265's will look kinda odd, so unless you do spindles or uca replacement you may not need one, not sure tho.

YOU ALWAYS NEED AN ALIGHMENT AFTER LIFTING YOUR VEHICLE, NOT FROM PUTTING NEW TIRES ON.

You could also use *gasp* spacers and blocks, but if youve already searched on here you know that option is not recommended and will definately result in a worse ride.

If your gonna lift at all tho, save up and do it right from the start imo.

SEE BOLD.

spindles are best bet for a prerunner, but its 4 inches of lift
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I vote for a revtec 3" with a toytec 3/4" top plate spacer
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Spindles... But yes you DO NOT need new ucas. But people figure since they are already installing the spindles to get them. I believe the camburg ones are the ucas at this time who wont work properly, somebody else will guarantee this.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
Right, so op, yes you need an alignment.

I searched this board about the uca / spindle thing already and I found answers both ways that were less than definitive, so id like to hear more about that myself. With the cost of spindles tho, new uca's on top of that was what turned me off to that option over the ome kit.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Almost there

I ran OEM components with my Camburg spindles, zero issues.

Uniball upper arms and a good coilover will allow you more than factory travel if your looking to be offroading. Otherwise just the spindles with factory components will give your prerunner a great lift.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
well since he said he wanted around 2" of lift why the fuck is everyone saying get 4" spindles???

he also never said he wanted to maintain stock ride quality either
Quote:
little better ride quality
so, OP, if money is not an issue then get a nice set of coilovers and adjust to the height you want. If you are on a budget get some 5100's and set them at 1.75" and get 1/4" spacers

for the rear just get a 1.5" AAL and replace the rear shocks with rear billys as well.

/thread
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Almost there

My bad guys and OP did not realize OP was inquiring about 2-3" lift
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
My bad guys and OP did not realize OP was inquiring about 2-3" lift
x2. Didnt really read the thread thoroughly. well 2-3 is all based on budget i guess
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Almost there

best bet is Bilstein shocks for either 1.75 or 2.5", for a set of 4 shocks your under $300 and install is easy as can be!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
abcdleines is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
abcdleines's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
well since he said he wanted around 2" of lift why the fuck is everyone saying get 4" spindles???

he also never said he wanted to maintain stock ride quality either

so, OP, if money is not an issue then get a nice set of coilovers and adjust to the height you want. If you are on a budget get some 5100's and set them at 1.75" and get 1/4" spacers

for the rear just get a 1.5" AAL and replace the rear shocks with rear billys as well.

/thread
Thank you Zombie but went on to ToyTec website, what set of coil overs?? A few different ones for the Tacoma. Thanks, Brett
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Almost there

will you be happy with 2" or would you be more happy with 1.99"?

If you want adjustablilty get the coilovers. If you are happy with a specific set lift, then get bilsteins or OME.

Also to add, you say 2-3". Say you get a set-up for 2" of lift and your not happy...then your stuck UNLESS you get an adjustable set of adjustable coilovers.

Likewise, say you get a 3" coil/shock combo like OME...then your not happy and want 2, your stuck again UNLESS you got an adjustable coilover.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdleines View Post
Thank you Zombie but went on to ToyTec website, what set of coil overs?? A few different ones for the Tacoma. Thanks, Brett
If I was to buy a set of coilovers today I would get a pair of Icons non-resi.

I have heard only positive reviews on them! I had a set of Fox 2.0 C/O's with the little adjustable 8 way "clicker" and to me that was just a gimmic that did nothing.

From the type of driving you said you will be doing you wont need an external resi on your C/O's.

here are the 5100's. LOTS of people run these bc they are budget friendly and are a good upgrade over stock. with these you can get either .85", 1.75", or 2.5" of lift on the front of your truck. The rears wont lift but will just be a nice upgrade over stock.
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Call and ask for Sonny, I think he gives a TW discount.

here are the ICON C/O's. go with the standard travel ones unless you plan on getting new upper control arms
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05updonahoetacoma.htm
again, call and ask if they are offering a TW discount. the worst they can say is "no"
With these you can get anywhere from 0"-3" of lift.