Notices

Front end feels loose after lift.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Bee22971 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: VCMO
Name: Garth
Bee22971's Tacoma Gallery
Front end feels loose after lift.

Hey guys I need some advice. I installed a set of King 2.5 C/O and DSM UCAs on my 2011 Taco and my truck feels loose. I bought the kings from a fellow member and they looked and road great for about a month. However, now I'm noticing that my steering wheel really moves with the grooves of the road and the front end feels loose in rough wind. I have duratrac 285s on stock rims with 1.25 spacers.

I've done some searching on TW and haven't found a answer that has corrected the issue yet. I haven't tried tightening my "wheel bearing" as suggested in on thread posted recently.

Have any of you had this issue before and know what to do to correct it?

I apologise upfront if this is posted in the wrong section but since it happened after my lift I thought it might be cause by the C/Os or the UCAs.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
alignment lately ?

possibilities:

...tire pressure settings too high

...alignment is off, castor settings are too vertical

...worn rack mounting bushings (common thang)

...inner tie rod play (outer also, but rarer)

...steering rack pressure guide has worn or has play (internal)

...steering rack "end" guides have become worn (look for leakage next)

...worn upper or lower ball joints
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
alignment lately ?

possibilities:

...tire pressure settings too high

...alignment is off, castor settings are too vertical

...worn rack mounting bushings (common thang)

...inner tie rod play (outer also, but rarer)

...steering rack pressure guide has worn or has play (internal)

...steering rack "end" guides have become worn (look for leakage next)

...worn upper or lower ball joints
Op just go down this list and see what you need these are all the things you gotta look at
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Go through the front end and torque everything down . All the said stuff above too.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Someone suggested your wheel bearing was loose and needed tightening?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
My alignment was done maybe a month ago when i got new tires. My alignment printout had me in the green. However, I only had 2.3 & 2.4 degrees caster. My truck has 13k miles and the steering wheel has little to no play. But when I'm @ highway speeds and it's windy or the road sucks my front end feels loose.

Tomorrow I'll start the project and run down the list of suggestions. Thx 4 the help.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Someone suggested your wheel bearing was loose and needed tightening?
I was doing some research and another guy had a similar problem and the TW member suggested to "tighten your wheel bearings." It reminded me of my old army days when we use to send the new pvt to go find blinker fluid. It made me laugh so I figure I would add it.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee22971 View Post
I was doing some research and another guy had a similar problem and the TW member suggested to "tighten your wheel bearings." It reminded me of my old army days when we use to send the new pvt to go find blinker fluid. It made me laugh so I figure I would add it.

I was going to say he needed to get slapped.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like caster. Might want to get it checked at a different shop.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Here are my alignment numbers:

R side
Camber .3
Caster 2.6
Toe .02

L side
Camber .4
Caster 2.5
Toe .02

Front
Total toe .04
Steer ahead .00

Tire pressure is 76psi cold and the tires say 80psi

Any additional thoughts?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
76psi? That's got to be one rough ride.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
TacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really nice
Air Force:
TacoLife08's Tacoma Gallery
Yikes, the tires say 80 because that's the maximum. But never fill them that high for everyday driving and especially when the road sucks. Drop that down to the 30-35 range ASAP

P.S. Your Alignment is perfect
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
I want to thank everyone who provided suggestions. I found the culprit. The passenger side uca was bad and had significant play. After throwing on another set of ucas and re-alignment the truck drives great again.