1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camburg ball join uca questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by PupuleUlua, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Ya, their not very big and at full droop most 1.25" burgs hit Icons coils and mine dont.

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    Thread revive... Where can I purchase ball joints for the camburgs

3. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Moog Part # Part # K80811

Toyota OEM does not sell the UCA Ball joint, you have to buy the entire UCA.

The Camburg UCA you describe is designed to accept the factory ball joint (BJ) after you remove the BJ from your existing arms.

There are aftermarket Moog units available, but Camburg does not recommend them. Huh? Why would you not design your arms to accept aftermarket BJ replacements???

I measured .025" clearance between the Moog units OD, and the Camburg arm ID, did research on BJ design, and determined this is the design minimum required, and therefore should work. For added clearance I heated up my camburg arms in the oven to 400F, and put the ball joints in the freezer, to gain some additional clearance of about .004-.005", expecting to rapidly install the BJ with a rented BJ removal/install C-clamp tool. That did not work out for me, as I did not have a decent vise to hold the install tool, but in theory should still work. I did get them installed at room temperature, and I noticed it is super critical to get the BJ to press in absolutely perpendicular to the bore. In my case, the one unit went in a bit crooked, and it broke a small portion of the camburg arm on the exit side of the bore. It won't affect its usability, as there was plenty of metal holding the BJ in place, but I learned the lesson. (I too ended up with the sliver of material being shaved out of the arm when pressing in the BJ, as described in the link below, but did not have the failures pictured)

Camburg could also have chamfered the exit side of the bore diameter to prevent this as well. The entry side is chamfered to allow you to line up the start.

See this thread from another forum on potential problems:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...with-Camburg-Ball-Joint-UCA-Install-06-Tacoma

4. Sep 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Dcarlin

Dcarlin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl Cab 4x4 Sport
    As the OP of the link in the previous response to this thread, I'm pleased to report that the Moog units have successfully been installed into my Camburg UCA's ( Johnny at Wheelers pressed them for me ). Ride quality is great and the alignment specs they facilitated are worth the price of admission. I'm running fresh 255/80 km2's on FJ alloys with no rub whatsoever. Tracking, admittedly thanks to the alignment, is dead true and bump compliance has been outstanding. Aside from my initial issues pressing the BJ's in, these units and my purchase thereof were a piece of cake. They've run smooth and quiet and compliment the Icons well. Hope my $0.02 can aid in your collective decisions. NOTE: Following several lengthy discussions with the folks at Wheelers, I'd say the only reliable way to press these units with a typical rental press would be to freeze the BJ and use an intermediate "slug" like a large socket or similar to ensure that the force of the press doesn't bear on the center of the BJ ... This is how I cracked mine.

5. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    That's a great idea to have wheelers install them just in case. I have the moog bj's on mine and they're great (they were already installed when I bought them).

Products Discussed in

To Top