Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Camburg ball join uca questions

Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
PupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant future

Name: Rod
PupuleUlua's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg ball join uca questions

Hi yall I got a few questions as to these camburg ball joint uca's? From what I understand benefits are low maintenance, quieter ride and best lower cost. Only thing against these is having to press oem ball joints in the assembly. I'm not a firm believer in reusing old parts and I believe oem ball joints only come as an assembly with the upper control arm at a hefty price. I heard some people have successfully installed moog ball joints while others had problems and camburg doesn't recommend them. Any one here has experience on these parts or knowledge on purchasing oem ball joints ala carte? I really like the looks of these compared to light racing uca's and main goal would be trying to get bolt on replacement saving time on install being this my only vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Camburg ball join uca questions-taco_bj_uca.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering the 2 same UCA. Basicaly is LR UCA ball joint replacable. Does anybody have experience with the Camburg UCA with OEM or aftermarket upper ball joint?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you just go with the uniball instead of the bj style?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The Ball Joint UCA is low maintenance, quieter ride and $300 lower cost than the uniball
Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post

this...^^^

I have only had to replace my uni-balls once in 2 years and it's a breeze. Costs something like $80 for (2) 1" FK stainless uniballs now if you look hard.

Here's a thread on it, but the pics are fubar. Sorry http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post2804791

and for people claiming low maintenance thats negligible. I had to replace my LCA BJ once just like my UCA uniballs so...........
Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
PupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Would be another option but trying to see if theres ppl out there with info on these. Only downside of uniballs is higher cost, possible noise and not sure which sets comes stainless steel being close to salt water for corrosion
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
For me the problem with uniball is sea salt and road salt from November to April. Lots of salt, salt and more salt and than add more salt.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupuleUlua View Post
Would be another option but trying to see if theres ppl out there with info on these.

Only downside of uniballs is higher cost,

possible noise
and not sure

which sets comes stainless steel being close to salt water for corrosion
A higher price is what you get with a superior joint so no helping that one.

They are only noisy if you do not maintain them by dripping some tri lube on them every month or so.

I listed the brands I know have stainless in the link and before you buy just call and ask.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Uniball noise is not noticeable with the windows up. Leaf spring squeaking, on the other hand...
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
bjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brian
bjasper's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great thread, I was thinking about saving the money and buying the ball joint UCA, but I want Uni Balls. There are a couple on Wheelers, which would you recommend, FK's or Aurora's?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasper View Post
This is a great thread, I was thinking about saving the money and buying the ball joint UCA, but I want Uni Balls. There are a couple on Wheelers, which would you recommend, FK's or Aurora's?

Aurora's = chrome (poop)
http://aurora.thomasnet.com/item/rod...9|1076|3001300

FK = Stainless (good)

Chrome is harder so if your in a dry environment like the desert guys they are best. If your not in the desert I would assume the chrome is a major downfall for the rest of NA.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going with the balljoint UCA because I will only have an inch of preload on extended travel shocks. other than strength, i don't see why I should pay $300 more for a uniball setup.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
A higher price is what you get with a superior joint so no helping that one.

They are only noisy if you do not maintain them by dripping some tri lube on them every month or so.

I listed the brands I know have stainless in the link and before you buy just call and ask.
Ty XXXX and others with there input.
But still looking if there are info for oem ball joints ala carte and ppl that have these.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
I'm going with the balljoint UCA because I will only have an inch of preload on extended travel shocks. other than strength, i don't see why I should pay $300 more for a uniball setup.
I have sen plenty of pics of carnage after a OE style BJ failed. Not good when your tire flops under the truck on the highway...not good at all.

I have yet to see a uniball failure and they usually get beat harder then people with OE balljoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupuleUlua View Post
Ty XXXX and others with there input.
But still looking if there are info for oem ball joints ala carte and ppl that have these.
NP. Wish I knew someone rocking them. Everyone I know that doesn't have a uniball has Light Racing.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I like my burg bj's but they still squeak at times.....not sure if it's the ball joint or the bushing on the arms but I lube them when it happens. The design of having the cup open and acting as a bowl is a poor design IMO. If you can't fab a greasable dust cap (like mine), I'd either go with the LR or a uniball arm.

PS - These have moog's in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Camburg ball join uca questions-imag0110.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
All-Pro sells a dust cap for its 1.25" UCAs. Wonder if they'll work with the Camburgs?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The cup is prob closer to a 1" or just smaller? AP's uca's look nice with that dust cap!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg's uniball UCAs have 1.25" cups like All-Pro's. You think Camburg's balljoint UCAs have a smaller cup?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
bjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brian
bjasper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Aurora's = chrome (poop)
http://aurora.thomasnet.com/item/rod...9|1076|3001300

FK = Stainless (good)

Chrome is harder so if your in a dry environment like the desert guys they are best. If your not in the desert I would assume the chrome is a major downfall for the rest of NA.
Thanks, I was thinking of going with FK's anyway.