LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Screw this Forum! (Lift Kits)

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Screw this Forum! (Lift Kits)

For making me spend my money!

Day 0 - When I first saw lift kits on toytec I thought I could get a lift for less than 250-300 dollars (spacers).

Day 1 - Spacer lifts are the devil

Day 2 - I need 5100's with stock coils (preloaded) or OME springs set at 0" with AAL.

Day 3 - Understood the advantages to OME coils...I need at least 700 dollars for new coilovers and AAL to do the job right.

Day 5 - Realized that rear AAL may be stiffer ride than I'd like, so... started researching new leaf packs

Day 7 - Considering a new leaf pack and realizing that I'm going to have to spend 1000+ for a quality lift kit, new coilovers and new leaf pack in the back for the best ride quality. (Hoping I won't need UCAs as well)

Future - Realized I need tips to convince the wife that 2.5" is worth 1000+ dollars.... (Christmas Bonus?) and that spending 4x the amount I thought we'd spend in the beginning is somehow OK

Seriously though - I'm convinced that my plan for the front suspension will provide a good ride. BUT, I'm concerned that AAL will be a stiff ride. Are Dakar leaf packs > OME shocks with 1.5" AAL (or Billy's with 1.5" AAL)? Is it worth the extra 300 dollars for smoother ride on 99.9% highway driving?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't do much off-roading, and only haul things once in a while. My main concern is preserving a 'near stock' feel of the truck when there is no load in the bed. I don't have plans to add a winch, cap, tool box, etc. in the back. Only a tonneau and maybe a bed extender
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
So this is day 8? Dont forget about ucas... hahaha.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

That's right, haha.

Yeah I want 2.5" of lift to avoid UCAs.... I'm hoping OME shocks or Billy's set at 0" with 885 coils without the top spacer will give me 2.5"

REALLY don't want to get UCAs unless I need to
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I've learned that if you work in "safety" or a variation of the word when discussing a major purchase with the wife it is easier to get her to agree to the purchase. Recently I have purchased a new helmet for use when riding my road bike that was $255. I mentioned that I needed it due to my concerns for "safety" which was true in this case. I then purchased new tires for my mountain bike. I had wrecked earlier in the week and I mentioned to my wife that new tires would make me feel "more safe" when riding the trails.

Try this when discussing your lift purchase.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #6

I feel safer knowing that my tacoma looks cooler than other tacomas...think she'll buy it?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Day 8 - Lift kit installed, can't get proper alignment
Day 9 - Find out I really do need UCA's, join group buy for LR UCA's and spent another $375.

It's a long known and proven fact. Join TW = Spend lots of $$ on things you never knew you needed
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
I feel safer knowing that my tacoma looks cooler than other tacomas...think she'll buy it?
LOL! Good Luck
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Day 8 - Lift kit installed, can't get proper alignment
Day 9 - Find out I really do need UCA's, join group buy for LR UCA's and spent another $375.

It's a long known and proven fact. Join TW = Spend lots of $$ on things you never knew you needed

%$^@
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's right, haha.

Yeah I want 2.5" of lift to avoid UCAs.... I'm hoping OME shocks or Billy's set at 0" with 885 coils without the top spacer will give me 2.5"

REALLY don't want to get UCAs unless I need to
You should be able to avoid aftermarket UCA's with a 2.5" lift. Running stock wheels and tires?

The single AAL should ride just fine especially on pavement. I've had a single AAL since 2008 and I never had any rough riding issues.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
%$^@
Yep, that's why I stayed under 2" of lift
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, the adjustable Bilsteins from Toytec will be fine.

Unless you will be hauling alot, the AAL would be your best option. New leaf packs can be as stiff/stiffer than AAL.

And with all that, you have only spent $320 (Front adjustable shocks, nuts/bolts, and rear AAL.) Even if you only adjust for an inch of lift, it is still enough to clear a little larger tire than stock. Since you won't haul much and don't do much offroading, it will suffice for your needs (Looks only).
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
You should be able to avoid aftermarket UCA's with a 2.5" lift. Running stock wheels and tires?

The single AAL should ride just fine especially on pavement. I've had a single AAL since 2008 and I never had any rough riding issues.
Plan is to run 32.5" tires - maybe on 18's, or 17's not sure. Good to hear about AAL...i'm thinking of getting AAL and IF ride is poor, buy leaf packs - AAL is only 80 bucks instead of 400 for leafs

Quote:
Yep, that's why I stayed under 2" of lift
I MAY shoot for 2.5, and hope it all works out. (don't install the top plate spacer). If I need UCAs even with 2.5", I'll just say screw it, buy the UCA's and put the top plate spacer in to get 3" lift.

*Crosses fingers*
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
An another note, obviously a replacement leaf pack would be your best option but, since you have a nice, new 2012, an AAL would probably be more than sufficient. When I upgraded, I found someone selling a new TSB leaf pack, inserted an AAL into the leaf pack and have been running it for about 1.5 years. They haven't sagged a bit, the ride is great and it was a lot less expensive than a leaf pack replacement. I'm using the Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL and have been very happy with the results. The AAL gives you 1.5" of lift without the overload leaf, 2" with the overload kept in place. The AAL is around $185 and comes with new U bolts.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Cowboy View Post
IMO, the adjustable Bilsteins from Toytec will be fine.

Unless you will be hauling alot, the AAL would be your best option. New leaf packs can be as stiff/stiffer than AAL.

And with all that, you have only spent $320 (Front adjustable shocks, nuts/bolts, and rear AAL.) Even if you only adjust for an inch of lift, it is still enough to clear a little larger tire than stock. Since you won't haul much and don't do much offroading, it will suffice for your needs (Looks only).

You're right, I could probably get by with that...

however, I'd like to get rear shocks to avoid over-extending the stock rear shocks in the event that I do top out.

And front coils are optional, but from what I've read, they seem worth it. Pre-loading the stock coil results in less up-travel - so i don't want to be bottoming out all the time in the front either.

That's where the extra $$ comes in, I'd like to do this right the first time
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga is right. The AAL is going to be your best option and I think you will be pleased with it. On my above mentioned price, that didn't include new U-bolts ($69). Still puts you only being out of pocket $400. Plus, if my memory is correct, your truck should have come with 17" wheels right? Lots of options there with that size (paint stock wheels, new wheels, or leave stock). I was satisfied with my stock TRD wheels as no one around me has them.

"You're right, I could probably get by with that...

however, I'd like to get rear shocks to avoid over-extending the stock rear shocks in the event that I do top out.

And front coils are optional, but from what I've read, they seem worth it. Pre-loading the stock coil results in less up-travel - so i don't want to be bottoming out all the time in the front either.

That's where the extra $$ comes in, I'd like to do this right the first time "

I would go with OME then. But the adjustable Bilsteins would be fine for a mall crawler.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
the Icon AAL Pugga described comes with new center pins, and U bolts

$199 IIRC for everything
Very interesting...I'll have to look into this - I'm intrigued.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
the Icon AAL Pugga described comes with new center pins, and U bolts

$199 IIRC for everything

Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
BOONDOCKSAINT is on a distinguished road

BOONDOCKSAINT's Tacoma Gallery
That's funny as Hell. Maybe because I'm experiencing the same thing. I started out only wanting to level out the front end, my thinking I need spacer's read post after post that they are junk get billy's 5100 (me what the Hell are billy's). Learned about billys, but now you need after market coils not to preload and aal if you do that to avoid the bro lean. (Me preload, aal, bro lean WTF! I just want my front end level didn't know I was going to need a language class in addition.) Start learning all the terminology billy's, eibach, OME, aal, and uca's and start to realise that what started out as me just trying to get a look for aesthetic reasons that may cost me $200 is now closer to $900. All I do is read myself into circles on this site when all I want is my truck level. (Me F it stock it is) or until a read another post or get a suggestion and change my mind............again :-/
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #20

Is there a discount available at DSM or Toytec?

Products Discussed in this Thread