Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LCA Ticking Sound???

Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
who makes polly bushings?
i dont think anyone does
I'm sure energy has something that would fit...

http://energysuspension.com/index.htm
Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Or could try to have the dealer replace under warrenty
there you go....
just bring it in and make them do it....
tell them u herd it on a road trip stopped by a mech. and he told you bushings are shot....and to take it to dealr
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
who makes polly bushings?
i dont think anyone does
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I'm sure energy has something that would fit...

http://energysuspension.com/index.htm
Page 71 here:

http://energysuspension.com/assets/f...on-catalog.pdf

Energy makes a front end control arm bushing kit for FJ Cruisers.

Guess what uses the same front LCAs as an FJ Cruiser?

I would call Energy Suspension first and make sure this kit includes LCA bushings. UCA replacements are popular on these trucks. LCAs, not so much. Before you drop your hard earned cash, I'd make damn sure they have the right parts for the application.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a spare set of LCAs myself so I can at least keep the truck driveable while I do a bushing swap...
Me too
Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
try this before moving and taking off stuff. wet the whole front end with water or spray what you think it is with WD-40 let it sit and try it...if it's still popping try spraying something else that you think moves, i had the same problem and i did that with all the bolts nuts joints everything and i found out it was my strut where it goes in the other one the seal was making it pop wired but a cheap way before you remove the cams and have to take it to get it aligned again.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm voting no to the bushings being bad. The cams may be seized but I doubt this is your noise. Your cam tabs would most likely be bent if you wheel and they are seized. Every time you cycle the suspension the tabs would move if this was the case.

How old are your shocks and how are they mounted? Heim, bolt with rubber bushing?

My truck makes a very similar noise (with new LCA bushings) and it's the heim on the lower shock mount of my Kings. I need to replace it but if I keep it lubed it's fine for a week or so depending on rain/mud.

Quote:
Page 71 here:
http://energysuspension.com/assets/f...on-catalog.pdf
Energy makes a front end control arm bushing kit for FJ Cruisers.
Guess what uses the same front LCAs as an FJ Cruiser?
I would call Energy Suspension first and make sure this kit includes LCA bushings. UCA replacements are popular on these trucks. LCAs, not so much. Before you drop your hard earned cash, I'd make damn sure they have the right parts for the application.
Never seen them before and I looked all over when I replaced mine. I surely book marked that link and will make sure I pay attention to the outcome should someone buy these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
try this before moving and taking off stuff. wet the whole front end with water or spray what you think it is with WD-40 let it sit and try it...if it's still popping try spraying something else that you think moves, i had the same problem and i did that with all the bolts nuts joints everything and i found out it was my strut where it goes in the other one the seal was making it pop wired but a cheap way before you remove the cams and have to take it to get it aligned again.
This is always a great idea and how I tracked down my noise after I checked the torque of everything.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #28

I'm not even sure the bushing is bad...it's definitely flexing some, and the ticking could just be the rubber catching and sliding as it moves down the cam bolt while the bushing flexes.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My LCA's made a similar noise but it was due to the bolts being under torqued
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Call bomb squad for the ticking sound dah
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not even sure the bushing is bad...it's definitely flexing some, and the ticking could just be the rubber catching and sliding as it moves down the cam bolt while the bushing flexes.
Or the through bolt binding on the inner metal sleeve
Old 08-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #32
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The bushing rubber was fused to the sleeve by superman at the factory. No way in hell could it be loose IMO. I had tons of pressure trying to get mine out for 2 weeks with zero to show for it.

The bushing can't really go bad unless the rubber is totally degraded or the bushing sleeve seizes to the bolt or the cam sleeve. Mine were seized, but the rubber was A OK...until I cut it
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My LCA's made a similar noise but it was due to the bolts being under torqued

this would do it for sure. whats it supposed to be 100 or 110# I think
Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I'm voting no to the bushings being bad. The cams may be seized but I doubt this is your noise. Your cam tabs would most likely be bent if you wheel and they are seized. Every time you cycle the suspension the tabs would move if this was the case.

How old are your shocks and how are they mounted? Heim, bolt with rubber bushing?

My truck makes a very similar noise (with new LCA bushings) and it's the heim on the lower shock mount of my Kings. I need to replace it but if I keep it lubed it's fine for a week or so depending on rain/mud.

Never seen them before and I looked all over when I replaced mine. I surely book marked that link and will make sure I pay attention to the outcome should someone buy these.

This is always a great idea and how I tracked down my noise after I checked the torque of everything.
I have Icons they are coming up on a year old. I just sprayed down my cams to see if that is where the sound is coming from. My cam tabs are not bent and they do not move, however, Firestone bent my alignment tabs on this side a while ago and paid Toyota to replace them with TC ones. I can not remember if this is when the noise started or not. It very well may be, as I used to think that the sound was because of my caster was at 3.0. Obviously that was all in my head
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Check the torque and post a pic of the tabs.

For reference rubber was fine with little play and the sleeve was seized in the front and the bolt in the rear.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #36

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #37

Quote:
That's a good option. I've had my LCAs clunk at me before because alignment guys left 'em loose. Never had any ticking, but see no reason why it couldn't occur just as easily.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #38
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Signs of improper torquing and seized sleeves (don't ask)

then the issue leads to constant alignments followed by welding work to stop the need for constant alignments

should look like this

Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check the torque and post a pic of the tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
HOLY LOOSE CAM BOLT BATMAN!!!! The cam bolts were pretty loose. I tightened them to 100 ft/lbs and the clicking is gone. Or it was the WD 40 I sprayed earlier, but I doubt it. Thanks again guys, the only thing is I moved a tab a bit, I put it back the best I could. Oh well...looks like I need to go to Firestone and get my alignment done again. Thank good for the lifetime alignments! This is probably my 6th one!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #40
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The cam bolts were probably loose from your previous trip to Firestone.