Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LCA Ticking Sound???

Old 08-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
LCA Ticking Sound???

I have an 09 DCSB TRD OFF RD w/ 47,200 miles on it. So my left LCA is making a cracking sound when I turn the wheel as well as hit bumps. I have narrowed it down to where it bolts to the alignment tabs. Any idea what could be making it do this...I have included a clip so you can see what I am talking about. The sound starts at about :10 sec

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to add...it only does this when the weight is on the wheels. When jacked up, it does nothing....

THE FIX FOR MY ISSUE WAS I NEEDED TO TORQUE MY CAM BOLTS TO 100 FT/LBS!!!

http://youtu.be/g5PqhDce_3Q
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i cant view the vids, but it may be your bushings
Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
i cant view the vids, but it may be your bushings

Truck only has 47k on it
Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Seized LCA bolts / bushings / cams would be my guess

Very common problem
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Truck only has 47k on it
yeah but look at your signature picture. you wheel, bushings go bad.

if thats where the noise is coming from id take it apart and see whats going on. it can be any of what oz said. thats what i would go after.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
I love your mom!

Oh yeah forgot to add...it only does this when the weight is on the wheels. When jacked up, it does nothing....
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Could be bushings, could also be related to steering since wheel turning is involved. Seems to only make noise when the wheel is being turned...
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
def lca bushings
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
I love your mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Could be bushings, could also be related to steering since wheel turning is involved.

I origanally thought steering, but nothing from there. I had someone turn the wheel as I was under the truck. It was def coming from the LCA due to sound and vibration
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Also should it be moving front and back like that?
There's a little flex in bushings. That's why they're there. Yours seems to have a little more than normal.

Bushing's probably done. That's a good place to start the diagnostics anyway...you can replace them with OEM, but I believe Total Chaos has a urethane kit for their OEM replacement LCAs that would fit and likely last much longer than the OEM rubber...

Getting them out is the bitchy part. You basically gotta cut 'em outta there.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
I love your mom!

Quote:
There's a little flex in bushings. That's why they're there. Yours seems to have a little more than normal.

Bushing's probably done. That's a good place to start the diagnostics anyway...you can replace them with OEM, but I believe Total Chaos has a urethane kit for their OEM replacement LCAs that would fit and likely last much longer than the OEM rubber...

Getting them out is the bitchy part. You basically gotta cut 'em outta there.
or save up for TC LCA
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
I would say lca bushings but i would have to see it for myself. Bullshit ass rubber bushings
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Just like jan said poly bushings are the shit
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So can the tierods may also be causing the clicking?

I just get one clunk when im backing out of my driveway
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
I love your mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
Just like jan said poly bushings are the shit

Yeah but getting the others out are a B*TCH!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
or save up for TC LCA
Your call. Helluva lot cheaper with a few hours extra labor to replace the bushings.

Got a spare set of LCAs myself so I can at least keep the truck driveable while I do a bushing swap...

Quote:
Yeah but getting the others out are a B*TCH!!!
Hacksaw. Punch. Press. With the right tools, it's not too terrible. Doing it without a press would be annoying, but still possible.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

who makes polly bushings?
i dont think anyone does
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
So can the tierods may also be causing the clicking?

I just get one clunk when im backing out of my driveway
thats how it starts
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
I love your mom!

Quote:
Your call. Helluva lot cheaper with a few hours extra labor to replace the bushings.

Got a spare set of LCAs myself so I can at least keep the truck driveable while I do a bushing swap...

Joo bring to shoe creek?