1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's... set at .85 and rides rough. Why?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by buddyfixit, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    buddyfixit

buddyfixit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 Avid Lightbar "super taco"
    TRD air filter, Predator Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Avidoffroad Lightbar, B.A.M.F. lightbar, Rearview Mirror Bracket, Console Organizer, CH Holster in dash, More to come...
    Well, after installing my bilstien 5100 shocks I have noticed that the ride is much stiffer than before. If I put the shocks at the stock setting, "currently at .85" setting, will the ride not jolt me as much? I dont really care if there is any lift, just a smooth ride. If any one can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

2. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD air filter, Predator Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Avidoffroad Lightbar, B.A.M.F. lightbar, Rearview Mirror Bracket, Console Organizer, CH Holster in dash, More to come...
    I saw that one coming! I got that right. I had read 100s of threads on the subject prior to purchase and installing these 5100's. I was hoping to improve the ride over the stock shocks. Currently I want to put the stock shocks back on the front its so bad.

3. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    My biggest complaint is driving anywhere between 20 and 50 mph bumps shake the whole front end. Im actually shopping tundras cuz of the whole mess. 0% for 72... hard to resist.

4. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Did you install different springs?

5. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    Perches correct and everything torqued to factory specs.

[​IMG]p

6. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stock SR5 springs

7. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    Dealership aligned it following monday.

8. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Get a set of OME 883's and put the 5100's on the lowest setting. Thats what I have now and the truck rides way better than the stock springs compressed.

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    If its just the way these shocks ride at .85 setting I will change it to 0. I couldnt care less if theres any lift. I just thought that the ride would have improved over the stock tokicko shocks.

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:

So is the 883 a stock height spring? I cant remember if its a lift spring or not.

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    It will give you about 1.5" of lift.

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Didn't realize you had the non-billies before. You're not driving a caddilac bud. You're driving a truck, they're supposed to be stiffer, that way when you put weight on them they smooth out. You probably wouldn't have noticed a difference if you had a TRD in the first place. I think my truck rides beautiful, maybe a tad stiff, but Im willing to bet your booty gonna be hurtin if you rode in mine :)

13. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    This is my 3rd tacoma and I have rode quite a few in my day. This is just not cool for my 20K mile current model year truck. I guess Im just too old for this type of truck now. Too bad, I have always loved them and their reliability and resale value.

14. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    buddyfixit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    I had installed the rears the day they arrived and did the fronts several weeks later. I use a cattle guard nearby to test the before and after feel. The rear were a HUGE improvement. Fronts not so much. If its a matter of them being "preloaded" from the .85 setting I will keep them on and set at stock 0.

Products Discussed in

To Top