Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

stress off my cv boots?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
South Carolina Member
tjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant future

Name: TJ
tjgraner09's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation stress off my cv boots?

hey guys as some of you know i have some billy 5100s coming soon(they should be here tuesday or wednesday ) but im trying to understand somethings. The reason i bought them is to get rid of the spacers i have. The only reason i wanted to get rid of the spacers is to take the stress of my cv boots. With the 5100s, will they take the stress off of them? so i can replace them and i wont have to worry about them any more
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgraner09 View Post
hey guys as some of you know i have some billy 5100s coming soon(they should be here tuesday or wednesday ) but im trying to understand somethings. The reason i bought them is to get rid of the spacers i have. The only reason i wanted to get rid of the spacers is to take the stress of my cv boots. With the 5100s, will they take the stress off of them? so i can replace them and i wont have to worry about them any more
setting the 5100's at 2.5 will be where you need it for your truck, but you may still have a little stress on the cv's. do you have 4x4?? if so.....get a diff drop from toytec....round $25 or so, and it'll help with that.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't go over 2.5" or 3" you should have no problems with your CVs. How big of spacers do you have now?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
South Carolina Member
tjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant future

i have 3" spacer and both the inner boots are ripped so im planning on buy new boots and i guess im going to have to buy a diff drop and yes i have a 4x4
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
setting the 5100's at 2.5 will be where you need it for your truck, but you may still have a little stress on the cv's. do you have 4x4?? if so.....get a diff drop from toytec....round $25 or so, and it'll help with that.
now now will...cmon

youre better than that

he has cv axles...of course he's 4wd
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i have 3" spacer and both the inner boots are ripped so im planning on buy new boots and i guess im going to have to buy a diff drop and yes i have a 4x4
definitely get the diff drop....it'll help man. new boots are a good idea too......unless you can get cv's complete for cheaper somewhere.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
now now will...cmon

youre better than that

he has cv axles...of course he's 4wd

.................oh yeah!! long day there donuts!!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
South Carolina Member

Quote:
definitely get the diff drop....it'll help man. new boots are a good idea too......unless you can get cv's complete for cheaper somewhere.
well i found a set of cv axles for like $215 idk if i want to spend that much i might just get the new set of boots...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
well i found a set of cv axles for like $215 idk if i want to spend that much i might just get the new set of boots...
yeah....i believe i'd get the boots too man.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Quote:
boots are cheap...complete axles are in the $200 range...

if the axles themselves arent busted and just the boots ripped...and you have any sort of mechanical skill...replace the boots...possibly even look into the extended boots for lifted trucks (i think downey and allpro sell them)
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
South Carolina Member

Quote:
boots are cheap...complete axles are in the $200 range...

if the axles themselves arent busted and just the boots ripped...and you have any sort of mechanical skill...replace the boots...possibly even look into the extended boots for lifted trucks (i think downey and allpro sell them)
yeah the axles arnt busted so i could just buy the boots right? and i really dont have much of mechanical skill... so idk if i could replace them myslef
Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
yeah the axles arnt busted so i could just buy the boots right? and i really dont have much of mechanical skill... so idk if i could replace them myslef
im betting you can change them...it shouldnt be terribly hard...let me find the writeup...ive got it saved somewhere

boots are cheap...you can buy stock or extended...that would help with them not tearing again
Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
like i said before.......bring the truck over here....we'll do it man.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
South Carolina Member

yeah well next check(next thursday) ill be buying new cv boots... anyone have the aftermarket ones and out of those which is the best???
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

heres one writeup at CT
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=113

long travel boots here
http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504frontsuspension/282
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Chassi...riveTrain.html

side note...downey has good prices on CV axles...but ive heard places like autozone's are super strong and last much longer than OEM ones
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
South Carolina Member

Quote:
heres one writeup at CT
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=113

long travel boots here
http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504frontsuspension/282
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Chassi...riveTrain.html

side note...downey has good prices on CV axles...but ive heard places like autozone's are super strong and last much longer than OEM ones
thanks dude yeah one of my friends said go to autozone but if i buy them will i need to buy new cv boots as well???
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
thanks dude yeah one of my friends said go to autozone but if i buy them will i need to buy new cv boots as well???
new cv's im pretty sure come with boots already on them, since there is grease inside already.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

yep...when you buy a new axle it comes preassembled and ready to kick your ass during install
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
South Carolina Member

so which is easier to install?? the boots or the whole new axle
Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
so which is easier to install?? the boots or the whole new axle
whole new axle...because you still have to remove the axle either way...and with a new one you just pop it in...changing a boot has a whole bunch of extra steps...