LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Compression Adjusters... Worth It?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Compression Adjusters... Worth It?

I'm currently in the market for a set of King coilovers. Wondering if the extra $300 for the compression adjusters are worth it. Say I have them cranked for 3" of lift and set the compression all the way soft, is the ride really going to be any softer? I know preloading the spring makes the ride more stiff. So, how exactly does this work?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
For daily driving I doubt you would feel much difference, the shock is just not cycling enough. I see it as fine tuning your compression offroad....whoops, jumps etc. so you don't bottom out at speed. You could prob re-valve them until you're happy for a lot less.

Just my .02 as I've never played with compression adjusters.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Shit, I could be wrong.......I hear the rear fox's that have them are sweet. Hey you'll be the first if you do get them!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

^ No one on here is running these? Makes me want them even more! haha
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I have them, but I have not been able to put them to the test yet... too hot in the desert for me . are you going oem length or longer?
if going oem, I recommend checking out this thread first. might save you some money, and/or still make it worth your while to get those adjusters
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the link.

I would like to get extended length, but I don't see that as an option for the compression adjustable Kings.

Also, does DSM charge extra for changing springs? I'd like to go with a 650 spring rate.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about the shocks you're looking at specifically but having the ability to adjust the compression dampening is awesome on motorcycles. I don't know what kind of range of adjustability they give you on a truck but on a bike it helps control how much the suspension dives in a corner, how fast the suspension can cycle when on rougher roads or rougher tracks. It basically controls how quickly the suspension can uptravel when you hit a bump. If you have no need to adjust this, meaning you don't need to change your suspension characteristics often or drastically, there's no need to pay the extra money for it
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but the adjusters are for fine tuning, but definitely not a replacement for shock valving to your needs.

I participated in the group buy months ago, and dont recall dsm charging me for opting for 650# coils. they normally come with 600# coils, iirc. my fronts are extended length, I think because of the adjusters.

if I were you, I would definitely go the route of that thread, and get 6" kings up front, as you will gain slightly more travel. I think the ext length oem fronts come with a taller eyelet, but doesnt affect oem travel.

mo travel = mo better

fwiw, I like my 650# coils. Im all stock up front(no winch, plate bumper), and not running a sway bar either. I've got the passenger side collar all back out to combat the taco lean.