Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is causing my Dakars to become misaligned ?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have also noticed a bit of axle wrap since I installed the axle shims too
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #22
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
If you're up to it Oz , get that sucker in the air (with jack & stands, not go out & jump it..haha) remove the Ubolts, drop the axle far enough to seperate from springs (go a couple inches) get a couple good "C" clamps & clamp tight as hell on each side of centerpin, get vice grips & grip the hell out of the bottom of centerpin to hold it still because you're going to re tighten the pin, those shims are thin & give some under tightening sequence , sometimes this gives a false sense of torque (feels tighter than its actually getting) after re torquing I'd run another nut behind it & snug it tight, re assemble , see if this stops your leafs side to side" movement
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
If you're up to it Oz , get that sucker in the air (with jack & stands, not go out & jump it..haha) remove the Ubolts, drop the axle far enough to seperate from springs (go a couple inches) get a couple good "C" clamps & clamp tight as hell on each side of centerpin, get vice grips & grip the hell out of the bottom of centerpin to hold it still because you're going to re tighten the pin, those shims are thin & give some under tightening sequence , sometimes this gives a false sense of torque (feels tighter than its actually getting) after re torquing I'd run another nut behind it & snug it tight, re assemble , see if this stops your leafs side to side" movement
Thanks Doug

Just about to get under there and check it out , but I was thinking about it last night and basically came to the same conclusion as you just posted . My axle shims are the old style that Toytec used to sell that are slotted instead of tight to the centre pin like the new ones .

The job I am working right now has me up and down an unfinished fire road that has gotten pretty bad in some spots which is putting some flex and a lot of bounce / rattle through the truck .

I wondered if maybe the shim on that side had just backed up a little relative to the axle , thus allowing some slack .

I will have both packs out to install new shackles and the OME AAL soon , I will add the second nut as you suggest at that point .

Thanks for the responses gentlemen
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #24

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
maybe while you have things apart you could swap in the later style of shims to get rid of the possibility of these things moving.
I believe I will
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #25

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
So , as it turns out the U bolt torque was the culprit .

The driver's side , which was the problem side , had 3 of the 4 below the 90 ftlbs , we set them to when installing the axle shims , one nut was really loose .

I loosened them all slightly , realigned the leafs as best I could , and re-torqued them , this time to 100 ftlbs

The passenger side bolts were under 90 ftlbs as well , but for some reason this leaf pack had no side to side movement , I did the same routine to this side , loosen slightly and re-torque to 100 ftlbd .

The noise seems to be gone aside from one slight click / clunk that I attributed to the driver's side leafs just moving slightly back to their neutral position after my manipulation of them .

Thanks for all the responses .
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd run your road a couple more times and re-torque em.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #27

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I'd run your road a couple more times and re-torque em.
Will do
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
So this is the mysterious notorious clunk?

Glad you left me hanging yesterday
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #29

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
So this is the mysterious notorious clunk?

Glad you left me hanging yesterday
You didn't answer me when I said I was going to light my truck on fire so I took matters into my own hands with a little help from these good peeps
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You didn't answer me when I said I was going to light my truck on fire so I took matters into my own hands with a little help from these good peeps
whatever..... I was busy and said call me

keep crying wolf and one day no one will answer your calls for help
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
whatever..... I was busy and said call me

keep crying wolf and one day no one will answer your calls for help
Peter and the Wolf ?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #32

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OK , so the fucking clunk is back , checked the U bolt torque and it was still fine

Checked for broken leafs

No rocks caught between the leafs

Next ?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #34

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
is it possibly your shocks?
Pretty sure it's the leafs , I can almost feel a bind and release when the clunk happens

It occurs when the truck is turning with some flex , loading that side of the rear

My other thought was it could be that the front leafpack bushing is dried out or seized
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
it doesnt do it on bumps?hows the leaf spring bushings and torque on the bolts
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #36
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I've been noticing a clunking during flex too. I keep nothing in the bed. I actually thought I ripped my brake line out at first. I may have to check my leafs tomorrow or maybe I'll just check out the f150 eco boost I've had my eye on
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #37
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure it's the leafs , I can almost feel a bind and release when the clunk happens

It occurs when the truck is turning with some flex , loading that side of the rear

My other thought was it could be that the front leafpack bushing is dried out or seized
take some 3/4" flat bar stock maybe 1/8" or 1/4" thick and 4 strips for each side. Measure the thickness of your leaf pack then add an inch or so for a bolt top and bottom. Basically you are making a clamp to hold the together. I had the same problem with mine except I have stock leaf packs. Made the clamps and put them on and they have not moved since.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
Commie is on a distinguished road

Navy: FRC West
Name: Andrei
Commie's Tacoma Gallery
How do you take apart the rear end? Do you jack up the entire truck and drop the whole rear axle or do you just jack up one side at a time and do it that way? If youre doing just one side at a time you might not be getting everything to sit right especially with the axle shims since they angle the rear diff. Try dropping the entire back end and tigten everything the same amount of turns. Also if its a really loud clunk and happens when you are flexed maybe it is you shocks extending out all the way and they could be too short for the amount of lift that your springs give you
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #39
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
OK , so the fucking clunk is back , checked the U bolt torque and it was still fine

Checked for broken leafs

No rocks caught between the leafs

Next ?
as stupid as this sounds, whats the condition of the rubber pads on the upper shock mount? and how are the bushings on the bottom?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #40
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
some of my clunks come from my silencers/rubber pads that stick the leafs together coming unbound on big turns or when I flex it out

though idk how the dakars are