Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is causing my Dakars to become misaligned ?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #41
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
take some 3/4" flat bar stock maybe 1/8" or 1/4" thick and 4 strips for each side. Measure the thickness of your leaf pack then add an inch or so for a bolt top and bottom. Basically you are making a clamp to hold the together. I had the same problem with mine except I have stock leaf packs. Made the clamps and put them on and they have not moved since.
There is 3 clamps per pack on the Dakars
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #42
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
as stupid as this sounds, whats the condition of the rubber pads on the upper shock mount? and how are the bushings on the bottom?
I'll check that too
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #43

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie View Post
How do you take apart the rear end? Do you jack up the entire truck and drop the whole rear axle or do you just jack up one side at a time and do it that way? If youre doing just one side at a time you might not be getting everything to sit right especially with the axle shims since they angle the rear diff. Try dropping the entire back end and tigten everything the same amount of turns. Also if its a really loud clunk and happens when you are flexed maybe it is you shocks extending out all the way and they could be too short for the amount of lift that your springs give you
Not at anywhere close to full flex , and I have the OME N182 shocks designed to go with the Dakars
Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #44

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Monkey ,

The top shock bushing rubbers look good , no tears , not squished out , not sure how I would know about the bottom without removing the shock
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #45
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
There is 3 clamps per pack on the Dakars
are they bending and seperating? thats what happened to the ones on my stockers
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #46

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
are they bending and seperating? thats what happened to the ones on my stockers
Nope

A couple seemed rotated a bit , but I straightened them out
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Monkey ,

The top shock bushing rubbers look good , no tears , not squished out , not sure how I would know about the bottom without removing the shock
I only mentioned the bushings because mine were completely shot on the bottom and had quite bit of play. I hadn't ever noticed that play in the bushings before because everytime I check over the truck I always have it up in the air. The droop against the shock had the right amount of pressure on it to make it seem like everything was good.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #48

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to check the torque values on the shackles and front mounts .

Heard a couple clunks this morning , same thing , turning while slightly flexed , loading the driver's side .

Is it possible for the mounting bolts to be seized in the bushing sleeves similar to what occurs to the LCA bolts ?

How can I tell if the shackle mount is bent ? On a level surface should it be absolutely plumb relative to the frame ?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #49
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My rear shackle mounts look like this. // \\
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #50
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
leaf spring mis-alignment is commonly caused by a loose centering bolt.
Replace that with a grade 8 cap bolt... red loctite that...
and torque the hell outta it.
Dakars suck IMO... as they only have three u brackets to help keep the individual leafs in alignment.

tho' "U" bolts can become loose and be blamed.
they do little to maintain alignment of the leafs in a spring pak.

A thunk or clunk at the rear, during acceleration or braking
is commonly associated with axle wrap...
and the driveshaft's "slip shaft" lacking lubrication...
grease that... and see if it goes away or is minimized.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #51

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My rear shackle mounts look like this. // \\
My driver's side one looks a bit //
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
leaf spring mis-alignment is commonly caused by a loose centering bolt.
Replace that with a grade 8 cap bolt... red loctite that...
and torque the hell outta it.
Dakars suck IMO... as they only have three u brackets to help keep the individual leafs in alignment.

tho' "U" bolts can become loose and be blamed.
they do little to maintain alignment of the leafs in a spring pak.

A thunk or clunk at the rear, during acceleration or braking
is commonly associated with axle wrap...
and the driveshaft's "slip shaft" lacking lubrication...
grease that... and see if it goes away or is minimized.
Thanks for your reply

I will be replacing / retorquing the centre bolts soon .

How many U brackets do you think would be appropriate for the leaf packs ?

The clunk doesn't occur during accel or braking and I'm quite certain is not axle wrap related .
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #53
Power Top

Have you torqued the bed bolts. Mine come loose all the time even with the addition of red locktite. I know when they are loose because I will hear a clunk noise, especially the closest one up front closest to the cab. Sometimes they can work themselves loose enough that you can grab the corner of the bed and actually lift it up some.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #54

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you torqued the bed bolts. Mine come loose all the time even with the addition of red locktite. I know when they are loose because I will hear a clunk noise, especially the closest one up front closest to the cab. Sometimes they can work themselves loose enough that you can grab the corner of the bed and actually lift it up some.
I'll add that to the list of things to check

Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #55
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Have you checked your u bolts? Re torque?
I had a similar problem with my leafs becoming mis-aligned. I had to over-torque them to get them to stay in place. (Not dakars, just an AAL)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My Dakars already have 4 clamps per side and they are already limiting the side to side action

I checked the front bushing and shackle bolts , they check out for torque and don't seem seized in the bushings

I have to get the pack out as a few of you suggested and check the centre pin bolt
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #58

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post

FYI , my 2nd gen ones have 4 , 2 forward of the U bolts and 2 rear
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #59

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What are the chances of the centre pin being broken ?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #60

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
That's a question not an observation ^^