Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is causing my Dakars to become misaligned ?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #61
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
50/50
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #62
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
50/50
If it is actually broken , how dangerous is it to drive ?

I am going out of town tommorow and my wife will be using my truck .
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #63
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What are the chances of the centre pin being broken ?
I've sheared them on full size trucks but it was from hitting fairly unmovable objects at speed , plus aren't those dakar pins a foot long ? (exaggeration of course)

I would think most the leafs would be shifting some if sheared but ya never know

1 leaf shifting (the same leaf) maybe not such a big deal, 2 leafs somethings up, didn't even think to ask if maybe broken leafs also
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #64
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
As far as driving it, if its been like this for awhile & shes not hauling anything or offroading I'd say she'd be alright if she really needs to just get from point A to point B & back again.....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #65
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Doug ,

I looked for broken leafs and couldn't find any signs of breakage

If the pin is broken , how dangerous is it for her to drive ?

Edit : just saw your second post , thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #66
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Well I say "OK" Only because when mine sheared I had the usual leaf shifting like you'd suspect with this event but didn't actually check it out thoroughly for about a week & it sheared right at the end where the head drops into axle...
Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #67

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well I say "OK" Only because when mine sheared I had the usual leaf shifting like you'd suspect with this event but didn't actually check it out thoroughly for about a week & it sheared right at the end where the head drops into axle...
I'm only gone till Saturday night , so hopefully it's fine , not like she is an F1 driver or an offroader
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #68
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
HEY , just remembered that my rightside axle DID shift backwards a bit, you could see if both U bolts have shifted (angled forward or backwards) or measure the left & right side axle closest to the wheel to a fix location on frame (cross member maybe)

EDIT: Deal with it when yya get back.....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #69

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Doug

If it falls apart on her before I get back I'll have my solicitor forward the lawsuit details on to you for review
Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #70
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Thanks Doug

If it falls apart on her before I get back I'll have my solicitor forward the lawsuit details on to you for review

noted & reported...
Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #71

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OK .

So today we got it on the hoist , disconnected the rear shock , dropped the axle , and everything looked fine .

The centre pin is not broken , it was fully engaged in the axle hole , the nut had not backed off at all .

The centre pin was pretty rusty but that didn't suprise me at all .

The only odd thing that we found was that , as soon as we seperated the leaf pack centre pin from the axle location hole , the leaf pack wanted to move about 1" toward the tire and it took considerable leverage to re-align it in order to put it all back together .

Not sure what that is all about , maybe the shackle mount is bent and this is putting a " roll " through the leaf pack , front to rear , and that is resulting in the leaf misalignment ?

IDK

Anyways , not sure if it was just a bunch of rock grit grinding away in the pack or U bolt mount , but the noise is gone for now .

Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #72

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone with a bent shackle mount had a similar misalignment issue ?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #73

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
i've seen this happen, not on a tacoma though, only on old wheeling trucks that are bashed against rocks without regard, did you bash that good or what?
No bashing , but I ran some pretty heavy firewood loads before I got longer bumpstops

Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #74
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Have the axle shims helped with whatever you put them in there to help (assuming driveling vibration)? If not, how about just removing them to take that out of the equation?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #75

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Have the axle shims helped with whatever you put them in there to help (assuming driveling vibration)? If not, how about just removing them to take that out of the equation?
Not a bad idea

Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #76
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Oz my dakars make a clunk too. Only after I flex them a good bit. They'll do it for a few days then quit. I thought it may be a dry bushing. I never took it apart to look though.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #77

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Oz my dakars make a clunk too. Only after I flex them a good bit. They'll do it for a few days then quit. I thought it may be a dry bushing. I never took it apart to look though.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #78
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I've never noticed if they were out of alignment. I'll have to check that out.