Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is causing my Dakars to become misaligned ?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What is causing my Dakars to become misaligned ?

Recently I've noticed the leafs in my driver's side pack have become noticeably misaligned at the ends , and when I turn sharply they sound like they are binding up and making a clunk .

Two of the U shaped retainers look as though they are limiting the side to side action as they have worn paint off the leafs where they are rubbing on them .

WTF
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
hmm...got a pic?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
hmm...got a pic?
Too dark right now , I'll have to snap one tomorrow .
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked your u bolts? Re torque?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i don't think I've seen this happen, i might not be much helped, all i got is check u-bolts? but I'm curious to why it would mis-align
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Have you checked your u bolts? Re torque?
I have that on my list of things to check in the morning

Thanks for the reply
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Normal..you should see mine after nearly every run in the rock crawler and just about most leafsprung crawlers im out with. I use a 5lb mallet to teach em a lesson on where they need to stay at lol. Dumb question time..are your u-bolts properly torqued? And I mean at the proper torque values with a torque wrench?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i don't think I've seen this happen, i might not be much helped, all i got is check u-bolts? but I'm curious to why it would mis-align
It seems really odd , they seem like they really want to move side to side , funny thing is I think this may have started soon after I installed my axle shims , however the passenger side pack is dead true
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Normal..you should see mine after nearly every run in the rock crawler and just about most leafsprung crawlers im out with. I use a 5lb mallet to teach em a lesson on where they need to stay at lol. Dumb question time..are your u-bolts properly torqued? And I mean at the proper torque values with a torque wrench?
normal for the monkey crawler yes, but i don't think the OZ is out climbing massive boulders, just beat them back in place eh?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
A good rule of thumb/reminder for me is to check them every oil change/tire rotation.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am checking the u bolt torque in the morning , with a torque wrench , lol

I had them at 90 ft lbs after the axle shim install .
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
A good rule of thumb/reminder for me is to check them every oil change/tire rotation.
I had axle shims installed about 2 months ago , we had them torqued correctly then .
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Forgot that there just aren't any trails in canada..just potholes and snow.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
if you do a lot of hard wheeling i've heard of this happening (not dakar specific, just to leaf packs in general) my buddies solution was to get them re-lined up, grind a groove lined up with the center bolt and throw a nice weld down the groove to hold everything together.
so far, he hasn't had any more issues

good luck
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
normal for the monkey crawler yes, but i don't think the OZ is out climbing massive boulders, just beat them back in place eh?
No massive boulders

or snow yet this year
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Forgot that there just aren't any trails in canada..just potholes and snow.
lol

Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I realigned them with a C clamp and a peice of 1/2" steel , but they have become misaligned again .

hopefully it's just a u bolt torque issue
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
now I'm about to go check mine
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard it happen to dakars, but have seen alcans. The solution, whack em back in place and re torque to a higher ft lb. I don't know about dakars but you can get more retainers/clips to hold them in place, but it will take out some of the flex.