Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

9/12" lift

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Master
tacomajack is on a distinguished road
tacomajack's Tacoma Gallery
9/12" lift

I have an 06 tacoma with a stage one procmp 6 inch, but i wanna go bigger. i was wondring what people were doing for a 12 inch. i was thinking 3 inch spacer and 3 inch body. Please give me your input.

Thanks,
-Tacomajack
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Wowzas... I've heard of 3" body + 6" suspension to get 9" -- don't know of anybody running 12" (or if it's even possible / safe).
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
pics of the existing lift kit would be nice. Im useless for input as I havent began on mine yet.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
BigToy is on a distinguished road
BigToy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 9" lift on my truck, 6" Fabtech suspension and 3" body lift. I've heard bad things about stacking lifts so I'd advise you do some research on it before you do it. Just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
That is a buttload of lift. Do you have a specific type of wheeling in mind or are you doing it mainly for appearance? That will determine how best to approach the issue and find something that'll work for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
GotLift has 6" ProComp and 3" spacers on top of that...

You probably COULD do 6" + 3" body + 3" spacer but it would most likely really suck! GL though and post pics!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin101 View Post
GotLift has 6" ProComp and 3" spacers on top of that...

You probably COULD do 6" + 3" body + 3" spacer but it would most likely really suck! GL though and post pics!
Yeah, i asked him a while back and this is what he did.

Like said, its probably possible but its going to be ridiculously tall IMO. Besides, you'll need some 37 or 39" tires to fill it out proportionally and tires that big are going to be really hard on the Toyota axles and you'd need to regear really low to maintain any power and driveability.

Im not even sure what the lowest these trucks have available because the front diff is exclusive to the current FJ, Tacoma, and 4runners. i'd say with tires that size you'd want 5.29 gears if they have them. That'll be another grand+install there too and the suspension lift will run 2500+installation for a 6" stage 2 kit, then the $250 3" spacers on top of it and the bodylift and labor for the install. Throw on some wheels(600-1000 probably) and some tires that large, I'd estimate this as being a $6000-8000 project!

DEFINATELY not somthing i'd do to my truck. I personally want a 6" but bigger than that is kinda pointless IMO. I think you need to think about this long and hard before going for it.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, just saw your truck is a PRERUNNER..... why would you do this on a prerunner? I guess it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt be offroad capable even if it was a 4x4; way too high of a CG.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
On top of it being hard on the axels, the 3" body lift is going to be hard on the cab mounts, and the tires fitted will beat the crap out of the steering rack.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
On top of it being hard on the axels, the 3" body lift is going to be hard on the cab mounts, and the tires fitted will beat the crap out of the steering rack.

X2! the steering rack is gonna have a hard time. Very high center of gravity!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Besides, you'll need some 37 or 39" tires to fill it out proportionally and tires that big are going to be really hard on the Toyota axles...
This is a huge thing. Even with the 9.5" lift and 37" tires that rear axle looks sketchy. If you're going all-out with that much lift it might be worth it to upgrade the rear axle while you're at it.

Your description says you have a prerunner so at least you won't have to worry about the front differential gearing. Get a Ford 9", gear it steep, and it'll survive and help keep your engine and tranny alive.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What he said^^^^^^^
BUT, that steering rack isnt gonna like trying to turn 37"+ tires for long.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What he said^^^^^^^
BUT, that steering rack isnt gonna like trying to turn 37"+ tires for long.
Mmmm...hydraulic ram-assist steering
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
NorCalKD will become famous soon enough
NorCalKD's Tacoma Gallery
My question just like everyone else is WHY? I dont think you realize how unsafe and unreliable it would be.

How about you save your money and time.

Straight axle it, throw a T-case in it, and then lift the hell out of it.

Just my $.02

Kyle
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Mmmm...hydraulic ram-assist steering
Ooooo yeah!