Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Thinking of lifting

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of lifting

Thinking about this:
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58653&category_id=64&option=com_v irtuemart&Itemid=53

How hard is the install on kit like this? Do I need any specialty tools?

Just wanting a lift to later put 285's on.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If thats a "Top plate" spacer lift, It will destroy your ball joints, and if you off road, you may break your shock, or your CV's.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Well Hell LOL

So would 5100's work better in the front & do an AAL in the back?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
Well Hell LOL

So would 5100's work better in the front & do an AAL in the back?
Correct!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
I had a 3inch Top plate spacer on mine for about a year. It didnt destroy my ball joints, break a shock or bust my C.V's
It gave a harsh ride and didnt do that well off road but if your only looking for looks and looking to upgrading later than I dont see a problem with it, everybody starts somewhere

The kit is very easy to install and can be done with just a floor jack and some hand tools
Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
6 Double 5 3 2 1

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
That's the thing....it's not going to be for looks.....but I'm not a die hard wheeler.....just like to go hunting & end up places I shouldn't at times
Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
I had a 3inch Top plate spacer on mine for about a year. It didnt destroy my ball joints, break a shock or bust my C.V's
It gave a harsh ride and didnt do that well off road but if your only looking for looks and looking to upgrading later than I dont see a problem with it, everybody starts somewhere

The kit is very easy to install and can be done with just a floor jack and some hand tools
Top plate spacers dont affect the ride or make it more stiff. I think you had a Pre load spacer.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #9

"Top Plate" spacer, goes on top of the shock/spring/top plate. It usually comes with longer studs to attach to the stock location. You dont have to separate the spring from the shock to install these. "Pre Load" spacers go inside the spring/shock assembly. You have to compress the spring and remove the top plate to install them.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed this on the Toytec website. I believe it's a new option... looks like a good deal to me, if only I could afford it right now
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
"Top Plate" spacer, goes on top of the shock/spring/top plate. It usually comes with longer studs to attach to the stock location. You dont have to separate the spring from the shock to install these. "Pre Load" spacers go inside the spring/shock assembly. You have to compress the spring and remove the top plate to install them.
So, why is one worse than the other if they both "lift" the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
I just noticed this on the Toytec website. I believe it's a new option... looks like a good deal to me, if only I could afford it right now
Yeah, they added it about a week ago or so. Looks like a pretty sweet package...
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Yeah, they added it about a week ago or so. Looks like a pretty sweet package...
Cool. Considering what it would cost to buy the coilover kit, 5100's from DSM, an add-a-leaf, and then the time that it would take to disassemble my stock coils and reassemble the toytec coilovers, it definitely seems like a sweet deal... especially if you get the 10% discount from Neubs Time to start saving up.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
So, why is one worse than the other if they both "lift" the truck?...
A Top plate spacer lengthens the shock/spring combo. By doing this with stock UCA's, shocks, and CV's, it puts alot of stress on them. Mostly the ball joints. 06Bluez broke his front shock with this combo. When I removed his UCA's, I found that his ball joints were completely shot after only haveing the lift on for 5000 miles. And he doesnt do any hard off roading.
As the Preload spacer fits Inside the spring/shock, the length is the same. The spring is "Preloaded" thus giveing a more stiff ride.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A Top plate spacer lengthens the shock/spring combo. By doing this with stock UCA's, shocks, and CV's, it puts alot of stress on them. Mostly the ball joints. 06Bluez broke his front shock with this combo. When I removed his UCA's, I found that his ball joints were completely shot after only haveing the lift on for 5000 miles. And he doesnt do any hard off roading.
As the Preload spacer fits Inside the spring/shock, the length is the same. The spring is "Preloaded" thus giveing a more stiff ride.
Oh, I see now...

Thanks for setting me straight!!