Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ICON NEW PRODUCT!!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
the only thing that has me worries is if the second shock wont fit with maxtrac spindles
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure they left the stock lca out of the picture on purpose . LOL .
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
If I remember right the LCA SKID is what mounts the second shoock, not the LCA itself. So the only thing in my mind that could happen is the weld failing between the skid and the LCA. And that doesn't worry me very much. Welds is strong. I could be wrong though, it's happened once before.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
The OE LCA's are poop. That's why Toyota just swaps them out if you need bushings or a BJ. I have seen (on the web) more then a few fail and when I say fail I mean the tube around the bushing totally tore in half due to stress cracks similar to a LT kit some people have had the same issue with.

IMHO I would never rock stock LCA's if you plan on truly beating your rig at high speed.

If it's just for looks then it sounds like the perfect mall crawling kit.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
JeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
JeremyGrey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post

boner
Stock spindles? Probly the first thing to snap like a twig
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #27
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Hey one of you guys in here might know, why isn't 4WD's can'd do spindle lifts, what is different on the spindle?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Hey one of you guys in here might know, why isn't 4WD's can'd do spindle lifts, what is different on the spindle?

my only guess would be the angle of the cv if you put in a lift spindle
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Basically, the outer cv and axle will go through the LCA if you keep the OE suspension geometry. 2wd spindles keep the OE geometry, and bolt right up.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
here's some pics for you guys. saw this set up in person today at the expo. looks great (this was on a 2012 tacoma)

and 2 more new products from icon. bolt on hydro bumps and OE replacement rear bypass shocks

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #31

Hmm Un sure on the skid. I want second shock but I like how the bamf skid protects the lca better.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmmm that looks interesting. im liking those rear bypass
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #33
Brewsy is on a distinguished road

Name: Carlos
Brewsy's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks also have knobs for adjustment, this is new also right?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
here's some pics for you guys. saw this set up in person today at the expo. looks great (this was on a 2012 tacoma)

and 2 more new products from icon. bolt on hydro bumps and OE replacement rear bypass shocks
why did they add another stock bump stop under the original one? somethings goofy

Quote:
Hmm Un sure on the skid. I want second shock but I like how the bamf skid protects the lca better.
The bamf skid is of poor design IMHO. That steel that protects the "cam" will only bend under any impact and cause more damage most likely + his skids have poor tolerances and are spaced back 1/2" - 3/4" from the LCA or at least the first 70 he made in his group buy were. The first rock you touch shears the mounting bolts because of the huge gap. IMHO the LCA skid should have super tight tolerances so it can be welded to the LCA for superior protection. This will also allow the bolt on guys to not sheer mounting bolts should they impact anything because the force will be directed into the LCA not rest solely on the bolts holding it.

I would bet my paycheck the Icon skid would far outlast a Bamf skid any day unless the Bamf design has been changed. You can clearly see the Icon skid is flush tot he LCA.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
why did they add another stock bump stop under the original one? somethings goofy

The bamf skid is of poor design IMHO. That steel that protects the "cam" will only bend under any impact and cause more damage most likely + his skids have poor tolerances and are spaced back 1/2" - 3/4" from the LCA or at least the first 70 he made in his group buy were. The first rock you touch shears the mounting bolts because of the huge gap. IMHO the LCA skid should have super tight tolerances so it can be welded to the LCA for superior protection. This will also allow the bolt on guys to not sheer mounting bolts should they impact anything because the force will be directed into the LCA not rest solely on the bolts holding it.

I would bet my paycheck the Icon skid would far outlast a Bamf skid any day unless the Bamf design has been changed. You can clearly see the Icon skid is flush tot he LCA.

lol you turd!

now im even more unsure of what i want haha
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

I thought about what you said when you Pmed me about it and I'm leaving the skids the way they are. I would much rather have the bolts as a failure point then the LCA It self. With over 200 sold and one "failure" and from ramming rocks at that something is bound to give. In this case it was the bolts and the alignment of his LCA's was still spot on so I feel they did their jobs. I myself would much rather replace a .25c carriage bolt then get the alignment redone. Yes everything has a failure point and putting skids on your truck does not turn it into a battering ram. Honestly if your bashing your LCA's into rocks you need to chose your lines better. I still feel my skids have the most coverage on the market today but thanks for the opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I thought about what you said when you Pmed me about it and I'm leaving the skids the way they are. I would much rather have the bolts as a failure point then the LCA It self. With over 200 sold and one "failure" and from ramming rocks at that something is bound to give. In this case it was the bolts and the alignment of his LCA's was still spot on so I feel they did their jobs. I myself would much rather replace a .25c carriage bolt then get the alignment redone. Yes everything has a failure point and putting skids on your truck does not turn it into a battering ram. Honestly if your bashing your LCA's into rocks you need to chose your lines better. I still feel my skids have the most coverage on the market today but thanks for the opinion.

good point

i dont rock crawl. but going through the washes in the desert can be a rock dodging event especially at speed when you get human head sized rocks in the middle of your path.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
good point

i dont rock crawl. but going through the washes in the desert can be a rock dodging event especially at speed when you get human head sized rocks in the middle of your path.
Honestly then i would just replace the LCA's all together no skids are going to protect you at high speeds like that the force will be transferred to the LCA anyway you look at it. I have been thinking of designing a replacement LCA for the mid travel guys i think TC has one for you guys don't they?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
His BAMF skids are made of 1/4 inch steel, it's takes a LOT of force to bend these things. The amount needed to wreck these skids would do serious damage to your truck regardless. There is nothing wrong with how he designed the cam bolt protection, if it gets bent back, the back of the plate would come in contact with the end of the cam bolt, that's it. If you managed to damage the cam bolt with the skid, chances are the amount of force needed to do that kind of damage would have rendered having a skid a moot point, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
Nothing is going to be perfect because when you armor one piece you then make another area the wink link.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post

I know keeping loose tolerances makes for quicker production and less issues with fitment from customers but IMO I don't see any use for them if they aren't made to hit rocks without shearing bolts. If it can't take a hit whats the purpose of them? Bling?

My TC skids have been on for almost 3 years and have bashed off of plenty of stuff including many rocks. Craig's BAMF LCA skids were highly "damaged" and falling off after one hard run.

We can agree to disagree on this one.