LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ICON NEW PRODUCT!!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #41
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
His BAMF skids are made of 1/4 inch steel, it's takes a LOT of force to bend these things. The amount needed to wreck these skids would do serious damage to your truck regardless. There is nothing wrong with how he designed the cam bolt protection, if it gets bent back, the back of the plate would come in contact with the end of the cam bolt, that's it. If you managed to damage the cam bolt with the skid, chances are the amount of force needed to do that kind of damage would have rendered having a skid a moot point, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
Nothing is going to be perfect because when you armor one piece you then make another area the wink link.
Not trying to argue here. I have seen his skids after one day on the trails. They were demolished. I sent Jerry a PM telling him what I though of the design and how I would fix it. I said I would keep my trap shut.

Not until I just spoke to a member who purchased them and found out he never changed the design did I now speak up.

No other LCA skid manufacture puts the LCA skids 1/2" from the LCA. It's simple physics. There is a reason all skids go flush to the OE members no matter what skid they are. If you want to relying on some thin grade 5 bolt to hold your skid on a 5k truck at speed hitting something have fun with that.

Ill unsub now so you can all flame away. Just remember I tried to help everyone before you guys even knew of this issue and I told Jerry the ones he already sold could of been given spacers so theirs don't break.

Now flame on
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Honestly then i would just replace the LCA's all together no skids are going to protect you at high speeds like that the force will be transferred to the LCA anyway you look at it. I have been thinking of designing a replacement LCA for the mid travel guys i think TC has one for you guys don't they?
I dont drive at the speed a lot of these other guys do. i dont like to push my truck to hard to the point of breaking since its still my daily driver.

lol some of these guys seem to really push their trucks to the limit.

i just like the idea of extra protection so i know it will handle more than what ill put it through and im sure it will handle what i put it through i just like peace of mind.

yea i like the TC ones but they are 1500 bucks haha

i know i know

"you have to pay to play"

theres also lsk goin for about 1000 right now but no one has jumped on the group buy really.

i just need to bite the bullet and start saving
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #43
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Not trying to argue here. I have seen his skids after one day on the trails. They were demolished. I sent Jerry a PM telling him what I though of the design and how I would fix it. I said I would keep my trap shut.

Not until I just spoke to a member who purchased them and found out he never changed the design did I now speak up.

No other LCA skid manufacture puts the LCA skids 1/2" from the LCA. It's simple physics. There is a reason all skids go flush to the OE members no matter what skid they are. If you want to relying on some thin grade 5 bolt to hold your skid on a 5k truck at speed hitting something have fun with that.

Ill unsub now so you can all flame away. Just remember I tried to help everyone before you guys even knew of this issue and I told Jerry the ones he already sold could of been given spacers so theirs don't break.

Now flame on
geez boyd, you're so controversial...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #45
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

Now flame on
No need to flame everyone has their opinion I have seen the skids take plenty hard hits without anything but a scratch. they were designed for rock crawling not rock bashing/slash bouncing. And ramming the lca's into the rocks is not the smartest thing to do with whatever skids you have.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
I dont drive at the speed a lot of these other guys do. i dont like to push my truck to hard to the point of breaking since its still my daily driver.

lol some of these guys seem to really push their trucks to the limit.

i just like the idea of extra protection so i know it will handle more than what ill put it through and im sure it will handle what i put it through i just like peace of mind.

yea i like the TC ones but they are 1500 bucks haha

i know i know

"you have to pay to play"

theres also lsk goin for about 1000 right now but no one has jumped on the group buy really.

i just need to bite the bullet and start saving
Then the BAMF skid should suit you just fine. I think the problem with XXXX's statement is that there is no way to validate that statement, saying "they were ruined after one hard run", is bullshit, did he impact the same rock with the same force on his skids and get a better result? No, then it's subjective crap, there are plenty of guys on here who are tickled with these skids. I have the very first pair on my truck, I understand the philosophy behind the design and also understand that it's not meant to be a battering ram, not ICON's, not anyone's. If you shear a bolt off the it would probably mean you didn't bend or break your LCA. Those LCA's are flimsy and rely of they way they are bent for strength rather than the thickness of the steel, they are bolted at each corner of the skid and essentially make the LCA much stiffer. Frankly I think if you wreck a skid, you were doing something you shouldn't have in the first place.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #47
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Then the BAMF skid should suit you just fine. I think the problem with XXXX's statement is that there is no way to validate that statement, saying "they were ruined after one hard run", is bullshit, did he impact the same rock with the same force on his skids and get a better result? No, then it's subjective crap, there are plenty of guys on here who are tickled with these skids. I have the very first pair on my truck, I understand the philosophy behind the design and also understand that it's not meant to be a battering ram, not ICON's, not anyone's. If you shear a bolt off the it would probably mean you didn't bend or break your LCA. Those LCA's are flimsy and rely of they way they are bent for strength rather than the thickness of the steel, they are bolted at each corner of the skid and essentially make the LCA much stiffer. Frankly I think if you wreck a skid, you were doing something you shouldn't have in the first place.

haha ahh piece of mind again lololol

ya i wonder how hard people were driving to break spindles and lcas and stuff.

then i see videos of people jumping stock trucks and driving them like they are long travel race trucks.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #48
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I have been thinking of designing a replacement LCA for the mid travel guys i think TC has one for you guys don't they?
I don't recommend it. LSK just built a OE length LCA, and the group buy flopped.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
I don't recommend it. LSK just built a OE length LCA, and the group buy flopped.
i wish beefy LCAs could be cheaper.

i dont know what goes into them that makes them expensive.

is it the material or are you paying for the quality of welds?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
LSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to behold

LSK's Tacoma Gallery
CNC cutting, bending, material, uniballs, hardware, it all adds up. This isnt even factoring in overhead. We lost money building the first batch. It did do a lot toward R&D for our LT kit.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #52
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
here's some pics for you guys. saw this set up in person today at the expo. looks great (this was on a 2012 tacoma)

and 2 more new products from icon. bolt on hydro bumps and OE replacement rear bypass shocks

Definetly a weird set up like they just threw it together fast with the double bumps up front , running stock leaves even the strike pad in the rear looked to be brand new and never touched .
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #53
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Definetly a weird set up like they just threw it together fast with the double bumps up front , running stock leaves even the strike pad in the rear looked to be brand new and never touched .
none of the products are on the market yet... R&D is still taking place
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #55
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Shit forgot that explains it . I remember after I posted that the shocks looked a bit worn and other parts looked new .
yeah. the 4runner in the video was there too... i just didn't take any pics because the tacoma had the wheels off so people could see everything

icon only puts out quality stuff. their specialty is bolt on, OE replacement stuff.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #56

im pretty interested in that rear shock.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
CNC cutting, bending, material, uniballs, hardware, it all adds up. This isnt even factoring in overhead. We lost money building the first batch. It did do a lot toward R&D for our LT kit.

ahhh duh. haha
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #58

Quote:
it'll be a pretty penny for the pair... i'm guessing $1200-ish

but the ability to run a bolt on rear bypass isn't currently available
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
it'll be a pretty penny for the pair... i'm guessing $1200-ish

but the ability to run a bolt on rear bypass isn't currently available

fo sho
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #60
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The rear leafs have the Icon AAL.
I'm thinking this rear setup is going to run over $2,500 new.

$220 for the AAL
$1,600 for shocks
$400-600 bumps
$200 can mounts (probalby understaed)
$100 strike pad

Quote:
If they are the Icon Omega's then they will be about $800+ per shock

Omega