LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox Shox OEM Replacement Issues

Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
mountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stefan
mountainprimat2's Tacoma Gallery
Fox Shox OEM Replacement Issues

I figure I would throw it out to you guys to see if anyone has some ideas to rectify my situation.

So I have a 3 inch setup with an Allpro leafs and Fox Piggybacks in the rear and Fox 2.5 coilovers in the front with Total Chaos UCAs and LCAs. Because of the fact that the Allpro leafs lift the rear a full 3inches, the front sags quite a bit with the 2.5s at "0" ride height adjustment. When I crank the ride height up an inch and a half in attempts to match rear height, the ride sucks and is super stiff. Going over seams in the road and speed bumps results in a super loud "Clunk" or "Bang." It almost sounds like the shock is soo compressed that on the other side of the bump, the suspension punches down to full extension, thereby "Clunk." I know this is putting some significant stress on the CVs and struts in general.

I have order the front diff drop and the swaybar relocation from Toyotec and plan on cranking the coilover back to an inch of ride height as my angles are super steep right now and know that can't be good.

Are there any other ideas to achieve the desired ride height without sacrificing the ride quality and durability of these parts that arent cheap parts. I'm calling Fox today to pick their brains but perhaps YOU GUYS HAVE THOUGHTS?

Thanks guys......
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Coilovers are meant for 2.5" and even then the ride sucks. People get heavier coils but I think that is meant more for heavy bumpers. If it was me I would have stuck to 1.5 or even 2.25" rear lift.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send the diff drop back, its worse for the truck than leaving the truck alone.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainprimat2 View Post
Ok, I'm all ears.....the reasoning behind that?
Mine is not cranked up like yours cause my rear leaf is only 1.5":

and here is the reason why a 2nd Gen shouldn't run diff drop:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It doesn't drop the diff apparently it rotates it. Do a quick search on diff drop and you should be able to come across a few threads about it. I'm mobile right now sp it would take a while.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
unclear if you have the swaybar relocate block or it's on order, if it's not installed that may be your clunk.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Almost there

Just take the sway bar off, off-road your ride quality will be night.and day difference
Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #10

Worst case is trade your expo or take some leaf out.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Just take the sway bar off, off-road your ride quality will be night.and day difference
Or this forget the sway relocate and the diff drop. The set up sounds good, no reason you shouldn't be able to match the front ride height with the back AP 3" leafs.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
mountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Mine is not cranked up like yours cause my rear leaf is only 1.5":

and here is the reason why a 2nd Gen shouldn't run diff drop:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Yeah thats what I want mine to look like, not cranked all the way down. That way I'll actually get the travel I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
unclear if you have the swaybar relocate block or it's on order, if it's not installed that may be your clunk.
Havent installed it yet, it is on order with the front diff drop, which is going right back after really reading the aforementioned thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
The problem is that I'm on the road 90% of the time. I might take it off for s#*ts an giggles to check out the ride quality. I know my buddies XJ is way more plush and heavenly without the sway bar
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Clunk is probably the sway bar hitting the coil overs, take it off. The on road ride is kinda nice actually

Edit: Look in there for paint missing on the coil overs...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
Clunk is probably the sway bar hitting the coil overs, take it off. The on road ride is kinda nice actually

Edit: Look in there for paint missing on the coil overs...
Now you got me thinking.....it had crossed my mind, but what are the downsides of taking the sway bar off besides being able to flip the truck more easily....lol
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #17

Quote:
I know I should know this but "expo"? Yeah a leaf might be nice to take out.
I thought you have the All Pro Expo 3" leaf if not the it isn't a problem with the a standard All Pro 3" you should be able to remove a leaf or two granted if your sway bar trick doesn't work. Even then if you raise it full 3" the rear will still be higher.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
I thought you have the All Pro Expo 3" leaf if not the it isn't a problem with the a standard All Pro 3" you should be able to remove a leaf or two granted if your sway bar trick doesn't work. Even then if you raise it full 3" the rear will still be higher.
It is the standard pack as I heard the expo pack is 3 1/2'' which is crazy. Should still be able to take a leaf out I would think. I'm just concerned about over extending the CV joints, I know it is inevitable but with the swaybar off its almost guaranteed, No?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
It is the standard pack as I heard the expo pack is 3 1/2'' which is crazy. Should still be able to take a leaf out I would think. I'm just concerned about over extending the CV joints, I know it is inevitable but with the swaybar off its almost guaranteed, No?
Yep your CV will limit you. We are stuck with mid travel, drop bracket and SAS. Like stated worst case is trade your AP for something with less lift or take some leaf out if you want to go that route.