Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Knocking at Full Turn

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Knocking at Full Turn

I noticed that I have a knock or clunking noise when I turn my wheels all the way and hit a dip on the road. Occasionally, I will get the clunk with the wheels straight and going over a bump following by a dip at low speed. What could be the cause of this?

2WD
Unlifted
Stock Wheels, tires, and suspension
20,000 miles
No Offroading
Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I won't be of help, but rest assured that my truck makes the same noise. I've climbed under the front end many times and find nothing loose or rubbing. Bugs me too.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Word. Mine does that to.

Also when I just start my truck up and drive away when I turn my wheels (or straighten them) I get interesting "veeeeeeeeeeew!" noise.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
mine does it too.. i thought it was something hitting skid plates i seemed to notice more after i put the front diff drop on and the skids didnt mount up the same way......
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
could possibly be a bad or loose cab mount. i got a bad front driver side one in my 04 now.......and turning sharp to the driver side and going over a bump.....you can feel it banging around.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
bump stop?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Word. Mine does that to.

Also when I just start my truck up and drive away when I turn my wheels (or straighten them) I get interesting "veeeeeeeeeeew!" noise.
At least I have something else to look forward too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
could possibly be a bad or loose cab mount. i got a bad front driver side one in my 04 now.......and turning sharp to the driver side and going over a bump.....you can feel it banging around.
How do I check that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
bump stop?
it happens when the wheel is at the bottom of the travel and it sounds like a knocking. I wouldn't expect that for a bump stop.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I noticed that I have a knock or clunking noise when I turn my wheels all the way and hit a dip on the road.
This noise could be the steering stop. Normal.
Quote:
Occasionally, I will get the clunk with the wheels straight and going over a bump following by a dip at low speed. What could be the cause of this?
Souds to me, this is the shocks topping out. Not a big deal, and faily normal.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This noise could be the steering stop. Normal.

Souds to me, this is the shocks topping out. Not a big deal, and faily normal.
OK. Thanks. If you want you can come over to my place and try to fix it with your nail gun.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK. Thanks. If you want you can come over to my place and try to fix it with your nail gun.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
littleschipper is on a distinguished road
littleschipper's Tacoma Gallery
Dry Bushing?

I have the same problem. The left front suspension 'knocks' when it's transitioning between unloading and loading the suspension. In other words, when I start moving from a stop and the front suspension 'lifts' I hear a subtle knock. Then when I decelerate and the front suspension is 'loaded' or compressed, I hear it again. Not every time but most of the time. Can't hear it if the radio is on. It sounds like one of the control arm bushings could be dry or sticking. I've had this problem before on a 1977 Chevy Monza Sypder and the dealer had to replace the control arm bushing. I haven't looked at my Taco manuals yet to review the suspnsion layout but I do have an appointment Friday with the dealer so they can look at it, it's still under warranty. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
alexlies is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
alexlies's Tacoma Gallery
i just have the same probablem today. i got my dad to back up slowly doing full turns left to right and finally saw that my back bushing on the a arm was sliding over and knocking when it turned it slides like a half inch everytime back and fourth. also realized my steering thing in the middle that pushes them either way slides about a quarter inch back and fouth also. so i dunno something for you guys to check out with two people.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Should've Known Better

Well, I took it to the dealer and guess what? They couldn't hear it or find anything wrong. The service manager drove it too and couldn't hear it. I knew this would happen, it wasn't making the noise when I took it in and now it's back. Like the previous post I hear it mostly when the wheel is turned and moving at slow speed. However, I'm not brave enough to crawl under there when someone is driving it, slow or not. Has anyone heard of a TSB on this?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I get interesting "veeeeeeeeeeew!" noise.
haha mine does that too. I love that noise. Not sure if its a good thing, but I like it.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
power steering pump? at full lock, the pump goes into a recycle mode (or something like that and makes more noise than normal.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Not Power Steering

It's definitely not the power steering at full lock. I try to never turn to full lock and the noise can be heard with just a slight turn of the wheel. I hate the noise the power steering makes at full lock, it makes me cringe....