1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3'' Spacers - A word of caution

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Ktaco, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Hey,

So as some of you may know, I recently found that both my Toytec coilovers were shot. My yearly MVI is due this month, and I needed something quick, easy, and cheap to regain my lift to clear my tires.

Thankfully, I had been saving my old shocks for whatever reason, so I ordered up these to use with them : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/96-04-Toyota-Tacoma-96-02-Toyota-4Runner-3-Lift-Leveling-Kit-2WD-4WD-PRO-/220934406622?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ATacoma%7CYear%3A2003&hash=item3370b781de

I got the chance to install them yesterday. First off, they do provide pretty close to the 3'' of lift as advertised. About the only other good thing I can say is it's nice to have my stock quality of ride back, and all the mysterious creeks, moans, and pops I had were gone.

Now for the bad stuff. These spacers are just too big. I realize they have to be to achieve the 3'' of lift, but unless you plan on pure street driving, this is not the lift for you. The spacers change the geometry of the suspension in such a way that the top of the spindle where the ball joint is actually sits inside to the coil when the truck is lifted off the ground. So much so that I was thinking there is no way even when the truck is sitting on the ground, that the ball joint is going to clear the coil. Furthermore, the added length now dramatically changes the axle angle when the truck is lifted. You can barely spin the wheel because the axle binds so badly.

I was discouraged to say the least. When you lower the truck to the ground the ball joint pops out of the coil and all is good. However, any kind of situation where the shock extends, whether it be from a large bump or in a trail that requires some articulation, that ball joint/spindle is going to be sent right back into the coil. Any situation where the front tire is off the ground in 4x4 and your going to blow your axle.

For now, it's going to have to do. It's a lot safer to be driving to work now then it was with my 2 busted coilovers. I knew these kind of spacers were not for off-road use, and I wasn't expecting to use them for that purpose. I was not expecting to see the kind of mess I did with them installed though. The worst part is I don't know if my truck will even pass MVI with these on. As soon as they put the truck on the hoist and see that my ball joint is sitting inside my coil it's going to raise some questions.

I have emailed the seller about this. I am not bashing this particular seller or product, as there are lots of different ones out there that I'm sure would all cause the same problems. I do think it would be wise for them to list **Not for off road use** or something along those lines.

So, if you are just driving to McDonald's or in my case to work and back, and want something to clear larger tires, this my work for you. If not, than spend the money and get something worthy of being on our Toyota's.

I leave you with some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    Well if that's the case, maybe this will help the minority or users who did not know what to expect.

As I stated I knew spacers were not a good way to go. I know whats going to happen if I do any kind of off roading. If you seen the state of my coilovers, then you know that I needed something fast.

I'm sure lots of people have heard about spacers not being good, as I have heard and read about them many times. It never hurts to have more photo evidence to back up the claim.

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    But they look great at the mall :D

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yeh I don't know, not like I'm trying to defend the spacers or anything. Just figured I'd make a thread that may help some people out when deciding on lifts.

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
  6. Sep 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    Thank You. Good to know. My neighbor has those on his 1 gen 4x4. Hope he's careful .

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    tacotrd647

tacotrd647 Resident "dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Ridgeway, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    KMC Enduro Wheels, 265/75/16 toyo open country at2
    I have that exact spacer installed on my truck and my a-arm angle isn't that gnarly!:eek:

I'm a pre runner though...

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Just to clarify, the pictures were taken with the truck lifted off the ground, and the suspension fully extended. That's not how it looks when the truck is sitting on the ground.

9. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    tacotrd647

tacotrd647 Resident "dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Ridgeway, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    KMC Enduro Wheels, 265/75/16 toyo open country at2
    No, I understand that.

With mine off the ground I have a good inch between spindle and spring.

Products Discussed in

To Top