Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rubbing (bad bearing) noise

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
B727Doctor is on a distinguished road

B727Doctor's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing (bad bearing) noise

Hi all,
I recently installed a spacer(leveling) kit in the front and since, my truck got this wierd noise coming from the front, this noise seams to be more noticable beteween 30 and 50 miles per hour. If I switch it in 4x4 it goes away. My dealer has no ideal what is going on and they also had this problem before and disapear as soon as they removed the spacers. I have air lift for the rear to keap things level, pls can someone help?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How many inches lift is it?

Did you have an allignment done after the lift?

What kind (brand) lift is it? Are you running the original shocks/struts?

I would jack up the front end. Crawl around underneath and look around at stuff, paticularly the front diff & axle shafts, front drive shaft. Spin the front wheels by hand and listen/feel. Have someone else spin the wheel by hand while you look around underneath at the diff/shafts etc.

Look at your CV boots and the driveshaft angles....

Depending on how LARGE the lift/leveing kit is, this can put a lot of pressure on the CV angles.

Got any pictures?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How many inches lift is it?

Did you have an allignment done after the lift?

What kind (brand) lift is it? Are you running the original shocks/struts?

I would jack up the front end. Crawl around underneath and look around at stuff, paticularly the front diff & axle shafts, front drive shaft. Spin the front wheels by hand and listen/feel. Have someone else spin the wheel by hand while you look around underneath at the diff/shafts etc.

Look at your CV boots and the driveshaft angles....

Depending on how LARGE the lift/leveing kit is, this can put a lot of pressure on the CV angles.

Got any pictures?
What she said.

Also, when do you hear the noise?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
B727Doctor is on a distinguished road

B727Doctor's Tacoma Gallery
It is a 3" leveling kit spacers, not sure of the brand.
Yes, I got the allignement adjusted.
Last week I lifted the truck on a hoist and check everything, both wheels turning on and off the 4x4. My body had a probe to check for bad bearing and noises and we were not able to find it. I dont have pictures cause it doesn't look god now, lifted with 16'' winter tires actually funny looking. I got the dealer(budy) to remove the spacer until I can figure out what is going on or somebody had the same problem. the noise started as soon that the kit was installed about 6 months ago and is getting worse, that's why it is being removed tomorow. It is getting expensive for the allignements.
Thanks, for the help
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
well i got the same thing.i put the 3'' lift on mine,every body on this site says NOT to do the spacer in the front because it puts to much stress on your front end.wish i would of found this site before i did mine.but as soon as my parts come in it will be off(the spacer).i ordered fox c/o with new uca to hopefully get rid of this issue.the one member (snowboarder) has somewhat of a fix,havent tried it yet.send him a pm and im sure he will get back to u.ive had mine on for 2 wks now and still not worse or better.i hated to spend the money right now but i dont like my stuff be messed up because of being to cheap and i think highly of my truck.you know what i mean.well best of luck to ya because i know my fingers r crossed for my issues.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
If you ganna do a 3", you gotta do a diff. drop in the front, if 4x4. So that you get the angle of your joints down, so that you dont have issues. I had the same thing going on with my truck, After the diff. drop it went away somewhat, but every now and then mostly around 40-45 mph I feel the rubbing in the floor board. But the diff. drop will def. help.