1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what route should i go with my lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by evanmb31, Sep 9, 2012.

?

which lift should i get?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2012.
  1. Full OME w/ Dakars and L.R. UCA's +285's

85.0%
  2. adjustable toytec/5100's w/ironman 2" leafs +265's

10.0%
  3. DSM midtravel setup-radflo 2.0 w/ 3 leaf AAL and new UCA's (desert products, icon tubular) +265's

5.0%
  1. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I've been trying to decide want i want to do for a few months now and i can't make up my mind. the truck is a 09 access cab and has less than 25,000 miles on it and it is my daily driver. I only take it off road maybe once every two weeks, and it is pretty light wheeling, which might change once i have better tires and more ground clearance. I've been leaning towards a full OME setup but do i really need to go that big? looking for some opinions or advice, pictures would be appretiated. i need better hauling capicity in the bed so i want a new leafpack or possibly airbags if i go with an add a lead.

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    the ome setup is very popular on this site, are you looking for a 3 inch lift? or do you just want to level? Also what size tires do you wish to run and what is your budget?

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    budget is under 2000 for suspension, and i cant decide between 3 inches or less, also cant decide between 285's and 265's lol. i already have some after market 17's 4.2 inch backspacing so i can go with 285s.

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    from your pole you have up, i would vote for the ome with dakars and LR ucas....

The only thing i would change is i would get uniball ucas like total chaos but thats just personal preference on my part...

And i love my 285's you will lose some mpg's but they look sick IMO :cool:

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    One thing too, if you keep your stock rims you will need to get wheel spacers so you can clear your uca's.

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Thanks, i live within walking distance of the ocean, also in new england and they salt the crap out of the roads in the winter, so i would be a little woried about going with uniballs, maybe if i go with stainless steel i would be alright.

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Just edited my 2nd post in response to you. I have a set of scs f-6's sitting in the garage right now i believe 4.2" backspacing so 285s are an option

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    the stainless will solve that problem :thumbsup:

9. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Or don't put any more money into the truck and save up for one of these hahaImageUploadedByTapatalk1347240646.091591.jpg

10. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    I voted OME dude

For me.....the eibachs looks barely lifted on our trucks and I like the lifted look. Dont think you will "need" mid travel if you are doing light wheeling. Also.....unless you are willing to do stuff over and beyond the stuff like the guys denting up their trucks in the NE thread then the OME will be plenty. Just my 2 cents.

11. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Thanks man, ya i have been leaning towards OME i am just a little worried about power loss with 285's, i wouldnt want to go with anything smaller on a full 3 inch lift. Also a little concerned about cv angles and vibrations because it is my daily driver. And good point about the mid travel, i like to keep my truck clean, i cringe when i drive through branches, i cant imagine banging it off rocks and beating it up bad, in a few years tho hopefully the tacoma will be a designated wheeling truck.

12. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Right on..........I too have the same concerns. I drive my truck alot and my biggest fear is having a vibration I cant get rid of. Hopefully though if I do develope one or more I can knock off the culprits one by one and rectify them if so. Im not too worried about power loss as I have accepted I drive a truck.....and a mid size V6 at that(remember that some mids have V8s.....something we will never know of driving a jap truck) so if I decide to go with 285s thenit will just have to be. I feel like the more I lift my truck the slower I will want to go to not hit curbs and whatnot anyway lol. There are inherent dangers to premature wear and tear on our CVs but you gotta pay to play. Plus so many people on here have lifts and I dont see tons of ripped CV boots and stuff on here. I am already planning my 1" body lift after the suspension lift lol.....TW is addicting!!!:D

13. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I hear ya! Damn you tacomaworld for making me spend all my money haha. Now lets get these CT tacomas lifted! Hopefully we can meet up sometime soon trd6speed to help eachother out.

14. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Looks like OME is taking a slight lead....

15. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Best option out of the two..............seeing that the mid travel is pretty much ruled out. And if you want close to a full 3" then OME is the way to go. Im doing Billies cuz the price couldnt be beat and I like the fact they have extended travel rears so I scooped those but im using the 885s to lift the front.

Only issue I am having really is the leaf pack......I def dont mind some rake so I keep thinking Allpros cuz it says its a 3" pack. The dakars are 2.75". Not a huge difference really but the quarter inch might help keep some rake.

16. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
  17. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Ya.....see Im def doing spacers or doing .85 in the billies. Either gonna get some offset spacers to correct lean or just put both billies to .85 and say screw the lean. I never saw the lean......only know it exists from TW and measuring. Right now my measurments are so close I dont think a lean spacer is even important to me. After seeing this guy with an AC and billies at .85 I think I might just fot that route. Thats why I was considering the Allpro to keep the rake but get that extra lift from the 885s and billie combo. I want as much lift as I can get. If the CV angles and whatnot become an issue then I guess I'll have to lower it but Im going for it and hoping for the best. I'll deal with issues as they arise I guess.

18. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I might be wrong but i think i have heard that the stock suspension compensates for the extra weight on the drivers side, so you might notice more taco lean after lifting. I am not positive about this tho so someone correct me if i am wrong, dont wanna be giving out false info.

19. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Hmmm......I'd like to know that too. Either way I figure I can install the lift.........let it settle for a week or two and then measure. If I go the .85 route I can always get a custom little spacer to correct the lean.....If its a .25" then I'll grab a 1/8" spacer and add it. If the CV angles are too steep I can always drop the billies to 0 and even remove a leaf to lower the rear. So my thoughts is go big on the 1st attempt......see if it rides good and whatnot......then if I have to lower it I can.......it will just give us CT guys more time to wrench! lol:D

20. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Yep i think the taco lean gets worse when you install aftermarket coilovers, just something to consider when ordering parts

Products Discussed in

To Top