Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

valving

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
valving

Im about to order my Bilstein 5150 cross flows from Downsouthmotorsports.com. For a shock with 10'' of travel, what valving would be a good match for my Icons up front/good balance?
Or...... Are the RR Dr series Icon shocks for the rear really worth the $600? I would like matching brands, But don't want to shell out the cash is the Bilsteins are just as good.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Only time I can think of needing resivoir shocks is if raceing. I have run my truck pretty hard, and on a 100*+ day of off roading, my shock temps were around 140* to 150*.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whats the valveing of the Icons?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
What ever they come as from Icon....? Rides great. At first I was going to order those Bilstein 5150s. On Downsouthmotorsports.com they ask you what travel and valving rate you want them to come set at. I know I want 10'' of travel. I just don't know what the valving should be set at. But now I think Im back to what brand/sereis I should go with. Like I said, my truck is my baby. I don't want to go with just "what will do." I want to get the best I can without getting what I don't need. Did that even make sense? idk. You know what I mean.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #6

I belive the valveing you want is 255/70. You want more rebound dampning than you do compresion. I "THINK" the Icons are a 265/70, but I cant remember.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you call them....they are supposed to be the experts and do come on here telling people to call them tell them their setup...then they'll suggest valving for you....its what they do, let them do their job. If you don't like it the first time, they'll re-do it for free, thats what their website says...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Taconator will become famous soon enough
Taconator's Tacoma Gallery
Chris or DownSouth(if they're listening) - I've never heard of shock valving being quantifyed with numbers be for. What do those numbers mean? And wouldn't rebound need to be ballenced against the spring rate being used?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Why don't you call them....they are supposed to be the experts and do come on here telling people to call them tell them their setup...then they'll suggest valving for you....its what they do, let them do their job. If you don't like it the first time, they'll re-do it for free, thats what their website says...
I have asked Downsouth Motorsports about the valving rates that they use, and their spring rates, and I get no answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taconator View Post
Chris or DownSouth(if they're listening) - I've never heard of shock valving being quantifyed with numbers be for. What do those numbers mean? And wouldn't rebound need to be ballenced against the spring rate being used?
The numbers represent the force being used to control the spring. The First number is rebound dampning, and the second is compresion dapning. Generally, for an off road vehicle, you want less compresion dampning, so the spring soakes up the bump without transfering the force of the bump to the vehicle. You want more rebound dampning to avoid the bouncing (popgo stick) affect from when the spring is extending. This is also dependant of the type of off roading you do. I mainly do fast fire roads, and desert running. Look at the way the suspension works on a Class 7 race truck. When they take a jump, the suspension compresses quickly opon hitting the jump, then extends slowly when they catch air.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Thanks a lot Chriss, You are truly a weth of information - Really!

But do these numbers have any units, such as newton meters ergs/kilo slug, or something.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks a lot Chriss, You are truly a weth of information - Really!

But do these numbers have any units, such as newton meters ergs/kilo slug, or something.
I think the rateing is Newtons. I cant remember.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
I found this
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORgd.asp?Manf=All#Ratings
Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Very good find!

I was right! My memory is working today.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #15