Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Knowledge For Me

Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
kingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the rough
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Knowledge For Me

jus wanted to start a thread about suspension and etc. so i could post questions and maybe learn a little.

couple questions

1 what is a leaf spring and what does it do?

2 what are spacers?

3 What are all components in the front part of the truck dealing with suspension?

4 what ALL would i need for a 2.5" lift in front and 1.75" lift in rear?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
#3. Shock, Top plate, Spring, Upper control arm, lower control arm, Upper ball joint, lower ball joint, sway bar, Tie rods, Spindle.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
kingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the rough
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
1. Leaf springs are the bow shaped peices of steel that sit with the curve down on your axle in the back. Look behind the rear tires... see the long peices of steel? Those are leaf springs. They set the ride height and allow weight to be added to the bed without causing the bed to sit down on the axle = rough ride.

2. spacers are peices of billet aluminum (usually) that sit on top of the top peice of the coil that add space between that and the frame... I.E. It lifts the truck.

3. Unk

4. If you were doing a spacer lift - all you'd need is a spacer for the front and a rear AAL (Add-a-Leaf) + applicable hardware (bolts etc). If you were doing a more complex suspension upgrade, I wouldn't be the guy to talk to...
thanks for all that, makes sense too. Well for my lift the only part i know i wants in the front is camburg coilover shocks for the front and i think ill have to buy upper control arms also. And the rear i was jus think bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks and guess you saaid i need a leaf spring (think theres more parts needed for a succesful good lift, jus dont know what)
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate TSS View Post
thanks for all that, makes sense too. Well for my lift the only part i know i wants in the front is camburg coilover shocks for the front and i think ill have to buy upper control arms also. And the rear i was jus think bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks and guess you saaid i need a leaf spring (think theres more parts needed for a succesful good lift, jus dont know what)
Rear 5100s are not adjustable... You can get 5100s for the rear (non adjustable) or 5125s. I would recommend the OME shocks in the rear.

Camburg Coilovers are fantasmic...

And go for the aftermarket UCAs...
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Rear 5100s are not adjustable... You can get 5100s for the rear (non adjustable) or 5125s. I would recommend the OME shocks in the rear.

Camburg Coilovers are fantasmic...

And go for the aftermarket UCAs...
slowly learnin haha, whats OME shocks and aftermarket UCAs?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OME = Old Man Emu
Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #9

UCA's = Upper Control Arms.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
OME = Old Man Emu
guessin thats a joke and i know what UCA is but whats AFTERMARKET
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
guessin thats a joke and i know what UCA is but whats AFTERMARKET
aftermarket means not stock

OME isn't a joke... it really is old man emu... toyteclifts.com sells them... they're great shocks!

and OME is owned by ARB...

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
aftermarket means not stock

OME isn't a joke... it really is old man emu... toyteclifts.com sells them... they're great shocks!

and OME is owned by ARB...

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
oh my bad then chris4x4, thanks...so then the camburg UCAs would be good? and delmarvataco is yours 4x2 or 4x4
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
whats it mean by nitrogen charged gas? do i have to fill and refill?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Mayor of TW

Quote:
oh my bad then chris4x4, thanks...so then the camburg UCAs would be good? and delmarvataco is yours 4x2 or 4x4
I'm a 4x2...

I'm running Camburg Coilovers with Total Chaos (TC) UCAs (see pic above)...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Mayor of TW

Quote:
whats it mean by nitrogen charged gas? do i have to fill and refill?
You personally won't fill them. These coilovers are rebuildable, so you would send them back to Camburg and they would rebuild / recharge the shocks.

Shocks provide resistance by forcing hydraulic fluid (oil) through valves in the piston as it moves up and down. Because the oil cannot be compressed, only a certain amount of fluid can be forced through these valves, which creates resistance to the vehicle movement. Premium shocks and struts are superior to regular hydraulic shocks because air in the shock is replaced by pressurized nitrogen gas. This advancement in technology prevents bubbles from forming in the hydraulic fluid. These bubbles, called foaming, reduces the ability of shocks to provide resistance and prevent bounce. Gas shocks also quicken the response of a shock's movement thereby increasing comfort and control under all conditions.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
appreciate all this explaining guys ...delmarvataco thats all you have? truck looks pretty high
Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Mayor of TW

that's it... and just to review:

Camburg Coilovers set at 2.5"
Swaybar relocation kit (comes with the coilovers)
Total Chaos UCAs
Alcan 2" Add a leaf in the rear with Bilstien 5125 shocks.

that's it...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
Mayor of TW

there aren't any pics in my gallery that show the truck lifted with the Camburgs... all of the lifted truck pics are with my old OME 885 lift.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
there aren't any pics in my gallery that show the truck lifted with the Camburgs... all of the lifted truck pics are with my old OME 885 lift.
what made you get rid of the ome lift?