Notices

OME with airbag system, will it work?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Imageoguy is on a distinguished road
Name: Antoine
Imageoguy's Tacoma Gallery
OME with airbag system, will it work?

Hi,
I'm planning on buying a long box V6 4 door 2010 or 2011 taco in the next couple months and looking for advice on suspension mods for heavy loads as well as a lift. I'll probably install a sled deck on it for my ATV and my sled (something like the attached pic).
Iíd like to add a 2 inch lift (Standard OME complete kit, OMETAC05LK on the ARB site but Iím open to suggestions) and add the biggest tires that would fit. Would a rear suspension airbag system work with that kit since it provides 2Ē of lift? Iíll be hauling over 1000 lbs at time but mostly a couple hundred pounds which is why I would like to keep a cushy suspension and just add air in the airbags when I have my sled or ATV in the back.
Also, any advice on the taco package I should be looking for (base, SR5 or TRD). I donít care about the bells and whistles. I will be doing a bit of off-road but from what I have researched, if I do the above-mentioned mods, there is nothing else the SR5 or TRD can offer as far as off-road performance. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
OME with airbag system, will it work?-tacoma-deck-009-resized.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Get the DCLB SR5 4x4 if you are planning on changing the suspension anyway

I have the OME kit you are looking at on my DCLB 4x4 Sport , I'm happy with it .

You will see 2 1/2" of front and rear lift with it though , not 2"
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
I'll let you know as soon as UPS gets that 3" spacer to me.

I've got OME 3" installed now on my 2011 DCLB 4x4 and love it. I picked up a Firestone Ride Rite for pretty cheap, and am currently waiting on the 3" spacer to arrive. From what I can see, it looks easy and straightforward, and completely do-able.

This kit requires the bumpstops to be cut down, but I think I'm just going to remove them entirely (loosen the U-bolts and it's just sitting on top of the springs).

Stay tuned.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What 3" spacer are you talking about ^^^ ?

OP , you could also consider Timbrens to work with the Dakars
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What 3" spacer are you talking about ^^^ ?

OP , you could also consider Timbrens to work with the Dakars
Spacer for the RideRites. THe kit I picked up was for stock height. RideRite makes spacers for their bags for all size lifts.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
Spacer for the RideRites. THe kit I picked up was for stock height. RideRite makes spacers for their bags for all size lifts.
Oh , gotcha
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
I didn't know that, thanks! Now all I have to do if find myself a truck!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Got the bags in last week. Turns out the spacer I ordered wasn't needed.
I'll get some pics ...sometime... In the meantime, description:
Turns out that adding airbags to a thicker-than-stock leafpack means the lower mounting plate for the bags does not reach the axle, as it is designed to do. It's about an inch or so short. A couple of solutions I see (neither of which I've yet tried): 1) Call Firestone and ask if they have a mounting plate that reaches lower, maybe for another application (quite likely), or 2) Either fab up your own mounting plate, or weld an extension onto the supplied plate.
All-in-all, yes, it's possible. Yes, you can drive around with the lower plate too short (I am...for now). No, I would not recommend carrying enough weight to require using the airbags until the issue is corrected. Yes, correction is likely to be easy.
One thing that bugs me a bit: The minimum pressure required to be maintained in the bags is 5psi. While this is pretty damn low, it does raise the ass end noticeably when it's empty. Because of that, I am running lower than 5psi, which, considering I removed the bumpstops (rather than cutting them, as the instructions show), may be an issue when I run into a situation when I might normally hit the bumpstops. I'll let you know if this proves to be a problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Thanks Mach375,

I'm getting my 2012 Taco on friday and will be ordering the springs and bags in the next few weeks. I've got a welder so if there are some mods for the bag it shouldn't be a problem. I'll wait and see what firestone has to say about the issue first.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a stock (3 leaf) 2012 OR that'll probably be having the AAL TSB performed soon, since I've already had the rear axle on the bump stops during a trip. I'm considering doing a sub-3" lift next year with OME Dakar rear springs, and I don't want to spend money now, only to find that whatever I add today won't work properly with a lift.

My question is about adding spacer plates to Ride-Rite springs. By adding spacers, won't the Ride-Rites limit rear axle travel and negating some of the value of doing a lift in the first place? If so, would a bump stop upgrade such as the Timbren set Miles installed on one of his Jungle Trucks (photo below) be a better choice for me? While I may haul more weight than the stock springs can support, I think I'll benefit more from rear axle articulation than an increase in load carrying capacity.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Prob with airbags is that they don't stretch enough to the full droop of suspension. I use Timbrens because it's a rubber spring and reduces the jarring ride of bottoming out with heavy loads . The setup above is for heavy load carring on rough roads. I would say Airbags are better on larger trucks.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milowilli View Post
Prob with airbags is that they don't stretch enough to the full droop of suspension. I use Timbrens because it's a rubber spring and reduces the jarring ride of bottoming out with heavy loads . The setup above is for heavy load carring on rough roads. I would say Airbags are better on larger trucks.
You're one of the reasons I have a set of Timbrens to put on tomorrow. I decided to try Wheeler's SuperBumps up front, though. I hope they aren't too soft.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
You're one of the reasons I have a set of Timbrens to put on tomorrow. I decided to try Wheeler's SuperBumps up front, though. I hope they aren't too soft.
They aren't soft
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
They aren't soft
Of course they aren't.

You're one of the reasons I have a set of Wheeler's SuperBumps to put on tomorrow. I decided to try Timbrens on the rear, though. I hope they aren't too hard.