Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Maxtrac 4" spindle 5100s and AAL??

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
Maxtrac 4" spindle 5100s and AAL??

So before I get made fun of for asking stupid questions I am new, just bought my 06 DC Pre runner TRD sport about a month ago from the dealer...everything is stock and I was looking into the spindle 4" lifts... As much as I would love to go with camburg: #1 I won't be doing off roading #2 I don't want to spend money where I won't neccessarily need it... I've been reading up on the Maxtrac 4" spindles and they seem to be a good fit for some one like me who is new to trucks and lifts, keep in mind also I am lifting for 90% look purposes as well as being able to put some bigger tires... Few questions for y'all 1. If I go with the Maxtrac 4" spindle, could I be able to run that with my Stock shocks and springs?
2. Would it be wise to upgrade my shocks to billies? If so, in front? Back? Or both? (only what's necessary)
3. Could I get away with using my stock coils?
4. Are spacers necessary?
5. For the rear should go with an AAL? 2.5"?

I figured so far, by my limited amount of knowledge and research, that this route would be the best considering I don't wanna blow a couple grand on some crazy shit when I dont even off road and these spindles seem to be pretty damn heavy duty and hold up... I don't want shitty ride quality, but it does t have to be the best either, for my first truck and lift, looking for something in the middle range that's dependable and would look sick... ALL input will be well considered nd appreciated!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
superman2481 is on a distinguished road
superman2481's Tacoma Gallery
i wanna know as well
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradicus8 View Post
So before I get made fun of for asking stupid questions I am new, just bought my 06 DC Pre runner TRD sport about a month ago from the dealer...everything is stock and I was looking into the spindle 4" lifts... As much as I would love to go with camburg: #1 I won't be doing off roading #2 I don't want to spend money where I won't neccessarily need it... I've been reading up on the Maxtrac 4" spindles and they seem to be a good fit for some one like me who is new to trucks and lifts, keep in mind also I am lifting for 90% look purposes as well as being able to put some bigger tires... Few questions for y'all 1. If I go with the Maxtrac 4" spindle, could I be able to run that with my Stock shocks and springs?
2. Would it be wise to upgrade my shocks to billies? If so, in front? Back? Or both? (only what's necessary)
3. Could I get away with using my stock coils?
4. Are spacers necessary?
5. For the rear should go with an AAL? 2.5"?

I figured so far, by my limited amount of knowledge and research, that this route would be the best considering I don't wanna blow a couple grand on some crazy shit when I dont even off road and these spindles seem to be pretty damn heavy duty and hold up... I don't want shitty ride quality, but it does t have to be the best either, for my first truck and lift, looking for something in the middle range that's dependable and would look sick... ALL input will be well considered nd appreciated!
Maxtracs are made to run with stock shocks and coils.

No spacers required.

go with a 2" AAL if you want it level.

This setup will give you a level 4" lift. And will ride just a good as stock.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Maxtracs are made to run with stock shocks and coils.

No spacers required.

go with a 2" AAL if you want it level.

This setup will give you a level 4" lift. And will ride just a good as stock.
thanks a lot man that answered all my questions!!!! going to pick the spindles up in anaheim right now!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
When you are asking about spacers are you speaking of wheel spacers? If your truck came with the stock rims then yes you will need the spacers
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
When you are asking about spacers are you speaking of wheel spacers? If your truck came with the stock rims then yes you will need the spacers
ya i was talking about wheel spacers, and i found out last night that i will need those bc i will be running stock rims with 285/70's... spidertraxx are probably goin in
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ya i was talking about wheel spacers, and i found out last night that i will need those bc i will be running stock rims with 285/70's... spidertraxx are probably goin in
Might want to pick up 2 more for the rear. The spindles will already push them out about 3/4" before wheel spacers
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Might want to pick up 2 more for the rear. The spindles will already push them out about 3/4" before wheel spacers
would this give me that pushed out wide look? to be honest i dont want my tires way the hell out there, i DO like a little bit, but sometimes i see pre runner with spindles and the tires are sticking out waay to far, is the spidertraxx 1 1/4" the smallest spacer i can get? i would want to make it as close as i can
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you plan to run bigger tires, you should really consider a set if wheels with 4.5" backspacing. For only slightly more expensive then a set of 4 spidertrax, you could get a set of wheelers off-road steel black bullet hole wheels brand new. They are made with the right backspacing for these trucks and look great!

I ran wheel spacers at first, until I could afford a nice set of wheels. Never felt comfortable about using them. Seen a couple people have a wheel fall off do to wheel spacers.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
All go, No show

Quote:
would this give me that pushed out wide look? to be honest i dont want my tires way the hell out there, i DO like a little bit, but sometimes i see pre runner with spindles and the tires are sticking out waay to far, is the spidertraxx 1 1/4" the smallest spacer i can get? i would want to make it as close as i can
The maxtracs will make the front end approximately 2" wider then the rear on each side. When I got new wheels, I still ran 1.25" spacers in the rear/none in the front and the front still stuck out a little further.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Quote:
If you plan to run bigger tires, you should really consider a set if wheels with 4.5" backspacing. For only slightly more expensive then a set of 4 spidertrax, you could get a set of wheelers off-road steel black bullet hole wheels brand new. They are made with the right backspacing for these trucks and look great!

I ran wheel spacers at first, until I could afford a nice set of wheels. Never felt comfortable about using them. Seen a couple people have a wheel fall off do to wheel spacers.

Ok I'm checkin them out right now, should I get the 15" or 16"? And as far as the spacers you ran, how long did u run them for? Did u off road with them? Cuz I will not be off roading, mall crawlin and daily driver, any problems with those that u had personally? I was more leaning towards painting the stock rims black and running spidertraxx spacers
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
All go, No show

Quote:
Ok I'm checkin them out right now, should I get the 15" or 16"? And as far as the spacers you ran, how long did u run them for? Did u off road with them? Cuz I will not be off roading, mall crawlin and daily driver, any problems with those that u had personally? I was more leaning towards painting the stock rims black and running spidertraxx spacers
If you have a second gen Tacoma, the smallest wheel you can run is a 16" wheel.

Wheel spacers work, just require attention. Thise who have had problems, didnt follow the rules with wheel spacers.

When installing wheel spacers, you tighten all the bolts to spec. You then drive the truck about 10 miles, then pull the tires back off to check the bolts to make sure none have loosened up. If any of them have, tighten them again. Then drive about 10 more miles. Come home, remove the tires again and check all of the wheel spacer bolts. If any are loose, repeat the steps until all are tight.

After that, periodically check all the bolts. I checked mine every couple thousand miles once they appeared to be staying. I would have to tighten one here and there, every once in a while for the duration that I had them.

Most hated part of my truck.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Quote:

Wheel spacers work, just require attention. Thise who have had problems, didnt follow the rules with wheel spacers.

When installing wheel spacers, you tighten all the bolts to spec. You then drive the truck about 10 miles, then pull the tires back off to check the bolts to make sure none have loosened up. If any of them have, tighten them again. Then drive about 10 more miles. Come home, remove the tires again and check all of the wheel spacer bolts. If any are loose, repeat the steps until all are tight.

After that, periodically check all the bolts. I checked mine every couple thousand miles once they appeared to be staying. I would have to tighten one here and there, every once in a while for the duration that I had them.

Mmm I see... For that reason alone I would like to stay away from spacers... Lol how much back space would I need to run these spindles? May just pick up some good condition used black wheels from a TW member
Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What kind of lug nuts are you running on your wheels spacers??? If you are running regular size lug nuts you may want to look into the All Pro E.T. Lugnuts for your spacers. They are a little longer so you have extra thread to grab onto and they won't loosen.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #15
All go, No show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo02cop View Post
What kind of lug nuts are you running on your wheels spacers??? If you are running regular size lug nuts you may want to look into the All Pro E.T. Lugnuts for your spacers. They are a little longer so you have extra thread to grab onto and they won't loosen.
I was using the ET lugs. Purchased at a local wheel shop though.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Celtaco808 is on a distinguished road
Celtaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Myself picking up a 2009 prerunner and by going through this fantastic forum, I decided to also go with Maxtrac spindles and a set of bilstein 5100's. This prerunner has 25,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change out my front springs also. Thinking of getting eibachs. What you guys think? Where can I get 3" aal for cheap?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
2 4 LIFE!!!
TuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuFerLife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TuFerLife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtaco808 View Post
Myself picking up a 2009 prerunner and by going through this fantastic forum, I decided to also go with Maxtrac spindles and a set of bilstein 5100's. This prerunner has 25,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change out my front springs also. Thinking of getting eibachs. What you guys think? Where can I get 3" aal for cheap?
If you're gonna do a 3" AAL, you should prolly just buy a new all pro leaf pack... That will give you 3"
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Celtaco808 is on a distinguished road
Celtaco808's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked up the cost of the 3" aal and shit, didn't realize how much it cost. Looking to spend less than $200 for the rear. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question. The maxtrac spindles are better than stock spindles for off roading right? Because it almost sounds like every one is meaning they are no good for off road.