Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

buying this lift setup.. HELP before I do something stupid

Old 09-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
buying this lift setup.. HELP before I do something stupid

ok, so far ive decided on going with maxtrac 4" spindles and wheelers progressive AAL which are 1.5" lift in the rear, and im planning on sticking with the stock shocks and coils for as long as I can, I was told I would be fine doing this... does this sound ok? or is there anything that im missing that I absolutely need? and also, will this give me a level lift?(crucial,no bro) help out this newbie!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What year is the truck, how tired is the stock leaf pack? With the 3-leaf AAL, you get 1.5" of lift by throwing the AAL in and removing the overload leaf. You can then gain another 1/2" by putting the overload leaf pack in which will put you at 2" of lift for the rear. Measure from hub to fender both front and back as your truck sits now. Add 4" to the front and 2" to the rear and see where you're at. The variable will be how your leaf pack is holding up. Are you replacing the rear shocks also?

Also, talk to the other prerunner guys running with the Maxtrac spindles. I'm not sure if they require extended length brake lines.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What year is the truck, how tired is the stock leaf pack? With the 3-leaf AAL, you get 1.5" of lift by throwing the AAL in and removing the overload leaf. You can then gain another 1/2" by putting the overload leaf pack in which will put you at 2" of lift for the rear. Measure from hub to fender both front and back as your truck sits now. Add 4" to the front and 2" to the rear and see where you're at. The variable will be how your leaf pack is holding up. Are you replacing the rear shocks also?

Also, talk to the other prerunner guys running with the Maxtrac spindles. I'm not sure if they require extended length brake lines.
its an '06 TRD sport model, and the dealership did say the previous owner who put 60,000 miles on it was a middle aged cleaning lady and used it for work purposes; I know that doesnt mean anything BUT at least it wasnt some kid my age running it into the ground so i would assume they are ok
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
and since the sport model pre runners have billies on them already? (correct me if im wrong) i think im going to ride these stock coils and shocks as long as i can... so far on TW i notice a lot of socal guys run maxtrac and they seem to be pretty heavy duty
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradicus8 View Post
and since the sport model pre runners have billies on them already? (correct me if im wrong) i think im going to ride these stock coils and shocks as long as i can... so far on TW i notice a lot of socal guys run maxtrac and they seem to be pretty heavy duty
I haven't heard anything bad about Maxtrac but admittingly, I haven't done much research on them since I'm 4wd. The only thing I'd make sure of is the extended brake lines. You might not need them, I'm really not sure.

As for the rear, you're stiffening up the rear leaf pack by throwing an AAL in there. People have run the stock leaf pack with an AAL on the stock shock however I feel it doesn't adequately dampen the ride and can make it feel sort of bouncy. For a short period of time I'm sure it would be fine, just try to avoid harsh top outs but you'll probably want to upgrade the rear shocks in the semi-near future.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Quote:
I haven't heard anything bad about Maxtrac but admittingly, I haven't done much research on them since I'm 4wd. The only thing I'd make sure of is the extended brake lines. You might not need them, I'm really not sure.

As for the rear, you're stiffening up the rear leaf pack by throwing an AAL in there. People have run the stock leaf pack with an AAL on the stock shock however I feel it doesn't adequately dampen the ride and can make it feel sort of bouncy. For a short period of time I'm sure it would be fine, just try to avoid harsh top outs but you'll probably want to upgrade the rear shocks in the semi-near future.
sounds good, and i do believe i can buy the spindles and they come with extended brake lines... another question for you: since i have a warranty on it, would it be worth it to get it all installed through the dealer? or could I have it done elsewhere, I feel like toyota is gonna rape me for installation, but idk if its recommended through them?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the Maxtrac spindles and stock TRD springs with stock billies on my 2011 Double Cab. Absolutely no issue and I LOVE the ride. Stock ride with 4" lift! They come with longer front brake lines. If you have general mechanical knowledge, you can install it yourself. Dealer will probably rape you on installation. Check your local CA forums or come to AZ and I'll help you install.....
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
No need to have the dealership install them for warranty purposes. Installing a lift, or any aftermarket accessory, will not void your warranty unless the aftermarket part causes a warrantied part to fail.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
I am running the Maxtrac spindles and stock TRD springs with stock billies on my 2011 Double Cab. Absolutely no issue and I LOVE the ride. Stock ride with 4" lift! They come with longer front brake lines. If you have general mechanical knowledge, you can install it yourself. Dealer will probably rape you on installation. Check your local CA forums or come to AZ and I'll help you install.....
Dude that's awesome! I'm definitely pulling the trigger on those then! What do u have for your rear lift?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Quote:
No need to have the dealership install them for warranty purposes. Installing a lift, or any aftermarket accessory, will not void your warranty unless the aftermarket part causes a warrantied part to fail.
Ok that makes sense! That will save me a lot of money!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Right now I am running the non_TSB leaf pack with an AAL and 2" block. I will eventually replace the leaf pack as money/time permits...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Where are u ordering the spindles from?? How much u paying?? Getting ready to order some myself. Just waiting for a coupon or sale from All Pro Offroad!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
Right now I am running the non_TSB leaf pack with an AAL and 2" block. I will eventually replace the leaf pack as money/time permits...
Ok, I have a buddy who runs that and the 2" blocks also, I hear a lot of negatives about those when it comes to the stiff ride quality tho, is it really that bad? How would blocks compare to the wheeler progressive AAL? Higher lift? Stiffer?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo02cop View Post
Where are u ordering the spindles from?? How much u paying?? Getting ready to order some myself. Just waiting for a coupon or sale from All Pro Offroad!!!
And that's a great question cuz I found em on eBay with extended brake lines(which u will need) for 550$ I think? But all pro offload does sales on those??
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradicus8 View Post
Ok, I have a buddy who runs that and the 2" blocks also, I hear a lot of negatives about those when it comes to the stiff ride quality tho, is it really that bad? How would blocks compare to the wheeler progressive AAL? Higher lift? Stiffer?
the wheelers 3aal pack is smooth like butter. I would go that route
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
the wheelers 3aal pack is smooth like butter. I would go that route
Nice, I was planning on it, they aren't to expensive either which is great... So I just take out the overload an slap those on?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
The only thig tho, is I'm guessing that with only 1.5" lift with those AALs I'm not gonna b level or close to level with that 4" spindle... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to b level or close to level at least, would the AAL progressive do it? Or do I need to put a small block in the rear also?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
leave the OL leaf in place so you will get 2" of lift in the rear.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^This. Leaving the overload in place does not affect day to day driving either. It will still ride nice. As far as lift, do what I mentioned earlier and measure from hub to fender both front and back. Add 4" to the front number and 2" to the rear number. That will tell you roughly what your final stance will be.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
Quote:
Sounds good! When do u think I should replace my shocks and coils? They got 62,000 miles on em but I looked at em today and they look pretty solid... I was thinkin icon coil overs when I do