Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear shock recommendations OTHER THAN Bilstein!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Rear shock recommendations OTHER THAN Bilstein!

Going to relocate my rear shocks. While I love the OME shocks I have and haven't had any problems with them, they simply aren't long enough. I've seen/heard of too many cases of Bilsteins leaking so does anyone have any shock recommendations other than Bilsteins?

I'm looking for shocks that are most importantly robust/reliable over ones that are 'high performance'.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I haven't seen a leaky correct Billy yet. By correct I mean correct for the lift the truck has.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Used kings/foxs/SAW just find out the length you need and either buy new or used. If you buy used you can always rebuild them. Or find some bilstein 7100 there rebuildable and the just like the 5100 and 5125 but with a resi
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help

Slodgetto just found out his Billies are leaking, Blackdawg says his leaked because he didn't have the proper bump stop height but neither do I and I've abused the hell out of the OME shocks with no problems. I also had deal ready on TTORA where I was gonna swap shocks with someone until he found out his Billies were leaking. Plus a few other instances I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
http://offroadwarehouse.com/products...roductID/56217

Or is it worth the extra $36 or whatever for chrome finish over zinc?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
I like Icons new VS series shocks, the aluminum body is a big selling point I think, no corrosion.
Just threw a set on my buddies truck, they look nice. We also threw on on some pro-comp shock boots to prevent grime buildup on the shaft and subsequent seal failure.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Thanks for the help

Slodgetto just found out his Billies are leaking, Blackdawg says his leaked because he didn't have the proper bump stop height but neither do I and I've abused the hell out of the OME shocks with no problems. I also had deal ready on TTORA where I was gonna swap shocks with someone until he found out his Billies were leaking. Plus a few other instances I can't remember off the top of my head.
Bilstein uses a weeping seal. So some fluid on the shaft is normal. Keeps the seal lubricated to prevent squeaks and the seal from drying out and cracking. If the shocks is dumping fluid, then yes it would be leaking.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
king oem replacements