Notices

Cheapest, safest way to get a 3" lift?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Avid outdoorsman and occasional mud slinger
intino is on a distinguished road

Name: Jasper
intino's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest, safest way to get a 3" lift?

Okay, so I'm new here and VERY dumb when it comes to mods. I just got a new 2012 Toco 4x4 and am thinking of putting a 3" lift and bigger tires eventually. From what I've read and heard, this could cause some problems with CV joints, etc. So, while I still have this thing under warranty I'll probobly leave it be but when the day comes I need to know what the best option is. Do I go with a body lift and put 33" tires on it? Will that get me a little more ground clearance? Do I go with a suspension lift? Will that require additional mods, altering CV joints, etc to avoid damage? Do I need to get a differential drop kit no matter what lift I go with? Do I have to get a separate lift kit for the front and back? I know there are several threads about this same stuff but I though I'd ask about my specific situation.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension lift all the way. Spend the money and do it right. New coilovers, UCA's and diff spacers (maybe) up front, and new leaf packs and shocks out back. The diff spacers up front should help cut down your CV angles and new UCA's will get your alignment back. I know many TW members (myself included) like the ride better after their lift.
Body lifts require new brake and gas lines and leave a gap between your frame and cab, plus do nothing to get you additional ground clearance, whether you offroad or not.
All that being said, when it comes time to lift, DO NOT take the cheap/easy route. You will regret it. Buying the right parts now saves lots of headaches and regrets later on down the road. Spend about a week straight on Tacoma World and research what parts/ setups other people have done and be informed before you pull the trigger.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
OME. Diff drops are junk.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

intino's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info so far. Another dumb question- I know I'll have to do like you said and really research what I want to do but about how much would something like that cost in the end? Also, if I do all that and put say 33's on it, how much more ground clearance am I gonna get? I'm maily doing it for looks but I think it looks pretty good as is. Don't want to go broke over looks!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by intino View Post
Thanks for the info so far. Another dumb question- I know I'll have to do like you said and really research what I want to do but about how much would something like that cost in the end? Also, if I do all that and put say 33's on it, how much more ground clearance am I gonna get? I'm maily doing it for looks but I think it looks pretty good as is. Don't want to go broke over looks!!!
If your going to lift it, I agree with the above, do it right. My truck already has a spacer lift (cheap)on it from the previous owner and the ride is horrible. I am saving up for proper suspension now. For what you want you could probably get away with spending 800-1200 all said and done? (I have no idea how much things will cost for you exactly because everything here in Canada is two hundred times more expensive .) To figure out your ground clearance just add up your lift. If you put a 3" lift on the truck plus add 33" tires (~2" in diameter larger than stock so 1" of height gain) so you would gain around 4" of height from where you are now. ( someone correct me if that is incorrect. I shut my brain off once I leave work most days)

Bottom line. If you want to lift, spend the money. If you don't want to spend the money, don't lift the truck. Or go with a smaller lift with some 5100's and go to a 265/75 size tire and save a few hundred bucks.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #6

intino's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, what are 5100's and if I went with a smaller lift and everything mentioned above would I still have to worry about my CV joints and all that?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW and the suspension section.

have a look around. All these questions have been answered before and you can probably find them in here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

@2.5" lift or less you dont "need" UCA's and you wont have to really worry about your CV's
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, op, if you are just going for the looks now, and sure that you wouldn't want more, then just get a spacer lift. I think Revtek lifts are about $200 and if you are mechanically inclined can install yourself. Same with the rear, just get blocks, and same for the install.
Most people tend to claim that the ride quality is shit with spacer lifts, while in reality they haven't even rode a taco with better suspension lifts. They would try to back it up, by saying i know a guy did this and that, and this happened or that happened but its all BS. I am not arguing whether spacer lifts are good or bad, but for what you are going for, it seems to be the best option (Just in my honest opinion). The truck is still drivable, and has a better look.
Many people i know have spacer lifts do not have after market control arms, but the alignments are just fine, the tires are wearing even. For me it has been fine for about 20000 miles but recently i drove about 2000 miles with bad alignment (my fault for not checking my alignment, and not getting one done) and the tires are ruined. So it is up to you, whether you want to spend the extra on UCA. I think LR had a GB for UCA, and they were going for about $350 shipped. That may be over (correct me someone if i am wrong). Do research on it, that would bring your original alignment back, almost guaranteed.
As far as bump steer i think most tacos suffer from this, but not too sure if the spacer lift is the cause of this, maybe someone could chip in on this. BTW, spacer lift is suspension lift so you would get the extra clearance, but not the wheel travel, and you can fit the 33s that you want. Anything you choose to go with, good luck OP. Hope my 2cents was helpful.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
Also, Welcome to TW, and enjoy the many years you would spend with the new beauty of yours.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by intino View Post
Okay, so I'm new here and VERY dumb when it comes to mods. I just got a new 2012 Toco 4x4 and am thinking of putting a 3" lift and bigger tires eventually. From what I've read and heard, this could cause some problems with CV joints, etc. So, while I still have this thing under warranty I'll probobly leave it be but when the day comes I need to know what the best option is. Do I go with a body lift and put 33" tires on it? Will that get me a little more ground clearance? Do I go with a suspension lift? Will that require additional mods, altering CV joints, etc to avoid damage? Do I need to get a differential drop kit no matter what lift I go with? Do I have to get a separate lift kit for the front and back? I know there are several threads about this same stuff but I though I'd ask about my specific situation.

In 3 years or 36,000 miles if you haven't been able to find the info on your own ask again because by then things may have changed.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
If u wanna be cheap and don't do much offroading a top hat spacer will work and can give u 3 inch of lift and will work off road(no revtek type spacer that stiffens ride) and dealer said won't void warranty with a bolt on spacer but I didn't like the fact offroad the rear and front was too soft would bottom out on uneven ground now I run full Coilovers up front with uca and sway bar and rear I have aal and block which I will be getting rid of some day with also get new fox shocks
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
If u wanna be cheap and don't do much offroading a top hat spacer will work and can give u 3 inch of lift and will work off road(no revtek type spacer that stiffens ride) and dealer said won't void warranty with a bolt on spacer but I didn't like the fact offroad the rear and front was too soft would bottom out on uneven ground now I run full Coilovers up front with uca and sway bar and rear I have aal and block which I will be getting rid of some day with also get new fox shocks
Suspension lift won't void warranty either unless dealer can prove the lift was the reason of some other failure to your truck. OP, no offense but if you got the money to buy a 2012, then you should be well enough off to put the right lift on your truck. All lifts alter ride, but spacer lifts decrease range of motion in your shocks up front, making it more likely to bottom out or blow a shock, and can cause axle wrap in back. Suspension lifts with new coils, shocks, and springs can increase towing capacity, and tire travel, and I like the ride BETTER than stock.

Everybody comes to the decision between spacers or suspension and my deciding factor was to do it right the first time rather than have a "quck-fix" spacer lift, no matter what kind of terrain my truck saw on the weekends.

New coils, 5100's (front and back shocks) and an AAL (add a leaf) will set you back about $700 which will increase quick if you want complete new leaf packs or adjustable coilovers (not necessary depending on your uses). UCA's are $400-$500. Wheels and tires? ~$1500

It adds up quick but can be worth it in the end. I know it's temping to ask for answers in your own thread but these questions have been answered thousands of times on here, it just might take a while to find good luck