1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheapest, safest way to get a 3" lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by intino, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    intino

intino [OP] Picker, grinner, lover, sinner

Member:
    Magnolia, Ar
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Stormtrooper
    Okay, so I'm new here and VERY dumb when it comes to mods. I just got a new 2012 Toco 4x4 and am thinking of putting a 3" lift and bigger tires eventually. From what I've read and heard, this could cause some problems with CV joints, etc. So, while I still have this thing under warranty I'll probobly leave it be but when the day comes I need to know what the best option is. Do I go with a body lift and put 33" tires on it? Will that get me a little more ground clearance? Do I go with a suspension lift? Will that require additional mods, altering CV joints, etc to avoid damage? Do I need to get a differential drop kit no matter what lift I go with? Do I have to get a separate lift kit for the front and back? I know there are several threads about this same stuff but I though I'd ask about my specific situation.

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    bjhn83

bjhn83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DCSB Grandpa Shell
    3" Toytec lift, 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's on Pro Comp 7089's, Yellow fog lights, Satoshi
    Suspension lift all the way. Spend the money and do it right. New coilovers, UCA's and diff spacers (maybe) up front, and new leaf packs and shocks out back. The diff spacers up front should help cut down your CV angles and new UCA's will get your alignment back. I know many TW members (myself included) like the ride better after their lift.
    Body lifts require new brake and gas lines and leave a gap between your frame and cab, plus do nothing to get you additional ground clearance, whether you offroad or not.
    All that being said, when it comes time to lift, DO NOT take the cheap/easy route. You will regret it. Buying the right parts now saves lots of headaches and regrets later on down the road. Spend about a week straight on Tacoma World and research what parts/ setups other people have done and be informed before you pull the trigger. :D

wuttheheeck likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    intino

Member:
    Magnolia, Ar
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Stormtrooper
    Thanks for the info so far. Another dumb question- I know I'll have to do like you said and really research what I want to do but about how much would something like that cost in the end? Also, if I do all that and put say 33's on it, how much more ground clearance am I gonna get? I'm maily doing it for looks but I think it looks pretty good as is. Don't want to go broke over looks!!!

4. Sep 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    barker14

barker14 sexual ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Complete OME suspension with Dakar leaf pack. Clarion touch screen Sport hood Tri fold Tonneau cover
    If your going to lift it, I agree with the above, do it right. My truck already has a spacer lift (cheap)on it from the previous owner and the ride is horrible. I am saving up for proper suspension now. For what you want you could probably get away with spending 800-1200 all said and done? (I have no idea how much things will cost for you exactly because everything here in Canada is two hundred times more expensive :( .) To figure out your ground clearance just add up your lift. If you put a 3" lift on the truck plus add 33" tires (~2" in diameter larger than stock so 1" of height gain) so you would gain around 4" of height from where you are now. ( someone correct me if that is incorrect. I shut my brain off once I leave work most days)

Bottom line. If you want to lift, spend the money. If you don't want to spend the money, don't lift the truck. Or go with a smaller lift with some 5100's and go to a 265/75 size tire and save a few hundred bucks.

5. Sep 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    intino

Member:
    Magnolia, Ar
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Stormtrooper
    Okay, what are 5100's and if I went with a smaller lift and everything mentioned above would I still have to worry about my CV joints and all that?

6. Sep 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  7. Sep 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    To be honest, op, if you are just going for the looks now, and sure that you wouldn't want more, then just get a spacer lift. I think Revtek lifts are about $200 and if you are mechanically inclined can install yourself. Same with the rear, just get blocks, and same for the install.
    Most people tend to claim that the ride quality is shit with spacer lifts, while in reality they haven't even rode a taco with better suspension lifts. They would try to back it up, by saying i know a guy did this and that, and this happened or that happened but its all BS. I am not arguing whether spacer lifts are good or bad, but for what you are going for, it seems to be the best option (Just in my honest opinion). The truck is still drivable, and has a better look.
    Many people i know have spacer lifts do not have after market control arms, but the alignments are just fine, the tires are wearing even. For me it has been fine for about 20000 miles but recently i drove about 2000 miles with bad alignment (my fault for not checking my alignment, and not getting one done) and the tires are ruined. So it is up to you, whether you want to spend the extra on UCA. I think LR had a GB for UCA, and they were going for about $350 shipped. That may be over (correct me someone if i am wrong). Do research on it, that would bring your original alignment back, almost guaranteed.
    As far as bump steer i think most tacos suffer from this, but not too sure if the spacer lift is the cause of this, maybe someone could chip in on this. BTW, spacer lift is suspension lift so you would get the extra clearance, but not the wheel travel, and you can fit the 33s that you want. Anything you choose to go with, good luck OP. Hope my 2cents was helpful.
    :)

8. Sep 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Also, Welcome to TW, and enjoy the many years you would spend with the new beauty of yours.

9. Sep 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

In 3 years or 36,000 miles if you haven't been able to find the info on your own ask again because by then things may have changed.

10. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    bjhn83

bjhn83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DCSB Grandpa Shell
    3" Toytec lift, 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's on Pro Comp 7089's, Yellow fog lights, Satoshi
    Suspension lift won't void warranty either unless dealer can prove the lift was the reason of some other failure to your truck. OP, no offense but if you got the money to buy a 2012, then you should be well enough off to put the right lift on your truck. All lifts alter ride, but spacer lifts decrease range of motion in your shocks up front, making it more likely to bottom out or blow a shock, and can cause axle wrap in back. Suspension lifts with new coils, shocks, and springs can increase towing capacity, and tire travel, and I like the ride BETTER than stock.

Everybody comes to the decision between spacers or suspension and my deciding factor was to do it right the first time rather than have a "quck-fix" spacer lift, no matter what kind of terrain my truck saw on the weekends.

New coils, 5100's (front and back shocks) and an AAL (add a leaf) will set you back about $700 which will increase quick if you want complete new leaf packs or adjustable coilovers (not necessary depending on your uses). UCA's are $400-$500. Wheels and tires? ~$1500

It adds up quick but can be worth it in the end. I know it's temping to ask for answers in your own thread but these questions have been answered thousands of times on here, it just might take a while to find :) good luck

11. Jul 9, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    Tony V

Tony V Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony V
    south Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trd Off Road
    Got the Revtec 3" lift can I get coilovers and uca;s and leave the Revtec on?

12. Jul 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    At The Helm

At The Helm ATH Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Gardnerville, NV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 4x4 TRD OR & 2019 T4R
    Kings, TC UCAS, SCS SR8's, ATH bumpers
    No. Take off the Revtec spacers and adjust the coilovers to 3".
    You can over compress and destroy your shocks by having both on, unless you extend the bumpstops.

13. Jul 9, 2015 at 11:28 PM
    Tony V

Tony V Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony V
    south Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trd Off Road
    Dang. Should have done that in the first place. what about the rear remove that also. and get shocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top