Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help Need To Remove Lift

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon
silverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant future

Name: SlickRick
silverbullet05's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Help Need To Remove Lift

I want to get a new Taco but the only stealership that was willing to swap my lift over for me was trying to be shady with their pricing. These guys wouldn't tell me any numbers just payment amount and length. Trying to give me a rate of 7.2 I have a high credit score I think I can do better. Anyways I need to pull of my lift so I can trade in my old truck. I just worry about getting on the old parts back on. Is this a difficult task? Is their any instruction on this sort of thing? I got Icon coilovers, TC upper control arms, Icon rear shocks, and a aal. Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet05 View Post
I want to get a new Taco but the only stealership that was willing to swap my lift over for me was trying to be shady with their pricing. These guys wouldn't tell me any numbers just payment amount and length. Trying to give me a rate of 7.2 I have a high credit score I think I can do better. Anyways I need to pull of my lift so I can trade in my old truck. I just worry about getting on the old parts back on. Is this a difficult task? Is their any instruction on this sort of thing? I got Icon coilovers, TC upper control arms, Icon rear shocks, and a aal. Any help would be appreciated
do you still have all the stock parts?

if so it should be a fairly simple and straightforward process you can do in your driveway with basic hand tools and a good jack/jack stands
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon
silverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant future

I saved the stock stuff. and have tools jackstands and a floor jack. I would realyy like to do this so I can re install the lift on my new truck and save the cost
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I saved the stock stuff. and have tools jackstands and a floor jack. I would realyy like to do this so I can re install the lift on my new truck and save the cost
it shouldnt be a problem them...everything is pretty much a bolt on procedure...the aal can be a bit tricky as can the UCAs...but wait for chris4x4 to see this thread tomorrow and he can tell you exactly how
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
just like Tigerfan said. Its a pretty straight forward RR. If you want to come out here, I'll swap the stuff for ya. Should only take a few hours.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Just don't ask Chris to light your cigarette......
Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictacoma View Post
just don't ask chris to light your cigarette......
bah! :d
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Thanks chris4x4 and tigerfan.
Hopefully the shop put all the original parts in the box.
I need to go pick up the haynes book on 2nd gen tacos.
Will I need a torque wrench?
Will I need a extra set of hands or is this easy for a one person to accomplish?
Any books or online write ups would be welcomed.
I will take pics so I can put up a tutorial on the subject.
It will also be easier for folks to help if the can see what I do wrong.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks chris4x4 and tigerfan.
Hopefully the shop put all the original parts in the box.
I need to go pick up the haynes book on 2nd gen tacos.
Will I need a torque wrench?
Will I need a extra set of hands or is this easy for a one person to accomplish?
Any books or online write ups would be welcomed.
I will take pics so I can put up a tutorial on the subject.
It will also be easier for folks to help if the can see what I do wrong.
A torque wrench is a great idea and offers piece of mind that you've tightened things up how they should be.

You probably "could" do it yourself, but an extra pair of hands would make it a lot easier. I've taken off my coilovers by myself and will say that, while I got the job done, more hands would have made it easier and faster.

Good luck! And if you run into issues once you've gotten started, keep a digital camera handy and take/post pictures and questions here. You'll usually have an answer in about 10 minutes. It's what I did when I installed my lift (with no prior mechanical experience) and it turned out great!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Did you have a manual or anything?
I just looked and couldn't find a Haynes book for the 2ndgen tacos.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

great link. thanks a lot. that's really going to help me.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Ok I am getting started. I got the truck on stands and the wheels off. I am posting some photos so the next guy can have a good reference. Looks straight forward like four bolts on the coilover. three up top and on down low. First I got to pull of the uca's. Using the install write up that's stickied in the suspension thread. I hope this goes well any input is welcomed.

couple of quick questions:
Do I need to disconnect the battery?
Is their a right and left shock or can the be put on in any configuration?

ok here is what I have for parts:

Here is a look under her skirt

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Ok so I managed to get the ucs off. My only problem is a little sleeve where the ball connects. The last pic in the post is the part i need to convince.
first I undid the bolt at the ball joint.

Then I removed the long bolt on top. Wish the shop had put it back in like chris4x4 did. I t was a pain getting it out. I will definitly put it back in backwards.

Lastly the problem child sleeve.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

yeah its really in there. I just tried tappping it with a little hammer but it didnt budge. I couldn't really get a good swing cuz of some stuff below it.
Did yours just pop out? Thats right you would of put it in and not needed to remove it. I hope it doesnt require a press
Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

have you soaked in in PB Blast or wd-40 or anything like that?

try soaking it real good and hitting it with a rubber mallet...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

will do.