1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Need To Remove Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by silverbullet05, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM
    silverbullet05

silverbullet05 [OP] OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 09 DC 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Icon Coilovers, Icon Rear Res. Shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Fabtech AAL, TRD CAI, KMC XD Enduros, 285's BFG KM2; Demello Sliders, Full Budbuilt Skid Set
    I want to get a new Taco but the only stealership that was willing to swap my lift over for me was trying to be shady with their pricing. These guys wouldn't tell me any numbers just payment amount and length. Trying to give me a rate of 7.2:eek: I have a high credit score I think I can do better. Anyways I need to pull of my lift so I can trade in my old truck. I just worry about getting on the old parts back on. Is this a difficult task? Is their any instruction on this sort of thing? I got Icon coilovers, TC upper control arms, Icon rear shocks, and a aal. Any help would be appreciated :help:

2. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    do you still have all the stock parts?

if so it should be a fairly simple and straightforward process you can do in your driveway with basic hand tools and a good jack/jack stands

3. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coilovers, Icon Rear Res. Shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Fabtech AAL, TRD CAI, KMC XD Enduros, 285's BFG KM2; Demello Sliders, Full Budbuilt Skid Set
    I saved the stock stuff. and have tools jackstands and a floor jack. I would realyy like to do this so I can re install the lift on my new truck and save the cost

4. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it shouldnt be a problem them...everything is pretty much a bolt on procedure...the aal can be a bit tricky as can the UCAs...but wait for chris4x4 to see this thread tomorrow and he can tell you exactly how

5. Jan 16, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    How about i do it for you.....and you make me a really good deal on your suspension. Then you could go buy a new lift! sounds like a great idea!:D

6. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    just like Tigerfan said. Its a pretty straight forward RR. If you want to come out here, I'll swap the stuff for ya. Should only take a few hours.

7. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Just don't ask Chris to light your cigarette......

8. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    bah! :d

9. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks chris4x4 and tigerfan.
    Hopefully the shop put all the original parts in the box.
    I need to go pick up the haynes book on 2nd gen tacos.
    Will I need a torque wrench?
    Will I need a extra set of hands or is this easy for a one person to accomplish?
    Any books or online write ups would be welcomed.
    I will take pics so I can put up a tutorial on the subject.
    It will also be easier for folks to help if the can see what I do wrong.

10. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    A torque wrench is a great idea and offers piece of mind that you've tightened things up how they should be.

You probably "could" do it yourself, but an extra pair of hands would make it a lot easier. I've taken off my coilovers by myself and will say that, while I got the job done, more hands would have made it easier and faster.

Good luck! And if you run into issues once you've gotten started, keep a digital camera handy and take/post pictures and questions here. You'll usually have an answer in about 10 minutes. It's what I did when I installed my lift (with no prior mechanical experience) and it turned out great!

11. Jan 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Did you have a manual or anything?
    I just looked and couldn't find a Haynes book for the 2ndgen tacos.:mad:

12. Jan 17, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Nope, didn't have a manual, just this site... :)

Check out this link though. It has the complete 05+ FSM for the Tacoma.

13. Jan 17, 2009 at 10:56 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    great link. thanks a lot. that's really going to help me.

14. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok I am getting started. I got the truck on stands and the wheels off. I am posting some photos so the next guy can have a good reference. Looks straight forward like four bolts on the coilover. three up top and on down low. First I got to pull of the uca's. Using the install write up that's stickied in the suspension thread. I hope this goes well any input is welcomed.

couple of quick questions:
    Do I need to disconnect the battery?
    Is their a right and left shock or can the be put on in any configuration?

ok here is what I have for parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a look under her skirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    No, you don't need to disconnect the battery. But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead. Takes 10 seconds.

There is no left/right coilover, but depending on how many miles you had on the stock parts before changing them out, one might be a little more "broken in" than the other due to the "taco lean", but probably would be barely noticeable at all.

16. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I managed to get the ucs off. My only problem is a little sleeve where the ball connects. The last pic in the post is the part i need to convince.
    first I undid the bolt at the ball joint.
    [​IMG]
    Then I removed the long bolt on top. Wish the shop had put it back in like chris4x4 did. I t was a pain getting it out. I will definitly put it back in backwards.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly the problem child sleeve.
    [​IMG]

17. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    So, can you not get it out? Is that the problem?

18. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    yeah its really in there. I just tried tappping it with a little hammer but it didnt budge. I couldn't really get a good swing cuz of some stuff below it.
    Did yours just pop out? Thats right you would of put it in and not needed to remove it. I hope it doesnt require a press:(

19. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    have you soaked in in PB Blast or wd-40 or anything like that?

try soaking it real good and hitting it with a rubber mallet...

20. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top