Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do you have to use the rear overload leaf?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have to use the rear overload leaf?

I just bought a set of rear leaf springs (Pro Comp 33211 models) from a guy on Craigslist. He said he put them on his tacoma but they lifted his vehicle too much so he went with "factory" leafs. I looked at the specs on the leafs from the manufacturer and it said they give 3-5” of lift. Thats a lot.

If I find that they lift the rear too much, could I remove the overload leaf?

I don't do much hauling but do have a camper shell on my truck bed.

Would removing the overload leaf be a good or bad idea?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
You should have no problems removing the over load leaf. It should then only lift about 2-2 1/2 inches and still give you good hauling capability if needed.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
As far as I know the overload has no effect on actual lift.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Sort of, they provide whatever thickness the overload leaf is of lift. They don't cause any lift due to any arch in the leaf pack though.
Thought so.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Now that I am thinking about it......how could a leaf give 3-5" of lift?
The only thing I can think of is that it is a longer leaf.

Does anyone have the specs for the rear leaf for a 95-97 Tacoma so that I can compare?

PRO COMP LEAF SPRING, PROGRESSIVE RATE
51.96 in. flat length;
74.12 in. free length;
9.44 camber;
60 mm leaf width;
162/340 lbs./in. spring rate;
4 leaves;
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
What if you take out the bottom curved one and leave the overload in?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I just bought a set of rear leaf springs (Pro Comp 33211 models) from a guy on Craigslist. He said he put them on his tacoma but they lifted his vehicle too much so he went with "factory" leafs. I looked at the specs on the leafs from the manufacturer and it said they give 3-5” of lift. Thats a lot.

If I find that they lift the rear too much, could I remove the overload leaf?

I don't do much hauling but do have a camper shell on my truck bed.

Would removing the overload leaf be a good or bad idea?
You can remove the overload, that ridiculously thick slab of steel
is about an inch thick meaning you could eliminate roughly an inch of lift,

Example: I've got 3" lift in back & last time i went to recycler with a load of steel I had 1340lbs (a little over the rated half tonI know) & still had positive ARC in springs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
As far as I know the overload has no effect on actual lift.
It sits on bottom of leafpack which it all sits on axle so remove the OL remove 1" of lift