1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worry-free Suspension setup...is this it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by azonicbruce, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sep 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    azonicbruce

azonicbruce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    Ok, I apologize in advance as I've been reading for weeks now and searching the forums regarding the do/dont's, but I just want to double check here one last time before I do this. Here is what I'd like to do:

2012 DCSB 4x4 SR5

I want to level the truck, and upgrade the suspension to similar to what the TX Baja editions have, if not better. I also want to make sure that I don't have any long-term reliability issues such as bearings, joints, differentials wearing out prematurely due to bad angles/geometry due to the modifications. I want the solution to be a complete bolt-on solution that will not require any permanent modification to the truck.

So, based of what I've read here and other research, here is what I'm looking at to accomplish this:

Icon System Stage 1 System

[​IMG]

A few questions I still have are:

1. How much will the front need to be adjusted to get it level? Most of what I've read here states around 1.75"
    2. Would it still be a good idea to get a UCA like Total Chaos, even though most say you don't need it unless you're going over 2"?
    3. What should my alignment "numbers" be when I get everything on and have the alignment done?

Other items I will be adding:
    Tires - Toyo Open Country AT2 - 265/75R16
    Wheels - Method Double Standard 16x8

Anyone see any issues with the proposed setup?

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    GREAT set up man......def better than the Baja edition!

The front is pre-set around 2" so I'd see what you get and just lower a little if needed, they will ride smooth as hell at that height.

UCA shouldn't be needed below 2.5" and as long as they're not the ext travel version.

Spec alignment is fine but you'll want as much caster as poss and lose it the higher the truck is lifted. UCA have 2'ish degrees of caster built in making alignments easier. Again, under 2.5" I was fine with stock UCA and only when I went higher did I have issues.

Check these out....http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...eler-icon-ext-travel-cos-total-chaos-uca.html

3. Sep 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    On alignment, I found one thread that said it should be the following:
    Toe - 0deg
    Camber - 0deg
    Caster - 3deg

Is this right?

Regarding the UCAs, so I guess it I don't NEED to have them, but would it be a good idea anyway? Would I gain any more flexibility for adjustment, and/or long-term reliability by using them? More important will it affect anything NEGATIVELY if I use them on a leveling setup like I'm going do, which that's LESS than 2.5" threshold?

4. Sep 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    I'm rocking the stage II and love it!

5. Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    I'm putting this exact suspension on this weekend. I went with LR UCA's.

6. Sep 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    I notice that none of the ICON kits have instructions with them (at least on their website). Anyone know where these can be found?

7. Sep 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    The kits will come with instructions but can get info by researching TW about installing lift kits, not much to it.

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    Does the Stage 2 AAL lift the rear any? How much of a ride improvement is it over the stock springs?

Also, let me see if I have this correct. When people here refer to TSB springs, they're referring to the 3 leaf+ Overload bar? I'm assuming new ones come with that already, so they're now the "stock" ones, correct? Mine has the 3+1 setup.

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    radiagojr

radiagojr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Hayward,Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4
    Tire 265/75/17 HD series rims Icon extended travel coil over icon add a leaf camburg uca painted all emblems and grill black
    [​IMG][​IMG]i just installed icon coilover extended travel with camburg uca and icon aal.icon says that the aal lift it 1 1/2 inches and the extended travel is set at 2' higher from icon.my question if anyone could help out is how hight more should i go to come close to level her w/o sacrificing ride and performance in the front since i still need 1 1/4 to level the front end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  10. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    radiagojr

radiagojr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Hayward,Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4
    Tire 265/75/17 HD series rims Icon extended travel coil over icon add a leaf camburg uca painted all emblems and grill black
    [​IMG]/www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/image152.jpg[/img][/IMG]i just installed icon coilover extended travel with camburg uca and icon aal.icon says that the aal lift it 1 1/2 inches and the extended travel is set at 2' higher from icon.my question if anyone could help out is how hight more should i go to come close to level her w/o sacrificing ride and performance in the front since i still need 1 1/4 to level the front end.

11. Oct 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Take measurements? I personally have mine at 2.5" lift just to keep the ride smoother and I have AP 3" leafs. You should prob be around 38" from the ground for 2.5-3" of lift (depending on tire size, I have 285's).

12. Oct 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    radiagojr

radiagojr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Hayward,Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4
    Icon come with 2" set up from factory.thinking about putting back my 1" spacer that I had to level the truck before so that way I don't have to crack up my icons up to a total of 3 1/2 total that I need to level.maybe I will get a better ride since the coils are not to compress.thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top