Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I Hate My Alcans!!!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
ckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cam
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
I Hate My Alcans!!!!!

They are so flipping stiff and high!!! I bought them used from a guy who got them from Wheelers Offroad. Supposed to be a 3" lift but it looks like 5-6", rides like it's solid mounted frame to axle. I figured they'd be broken in already but he only used them for 2 months before selling his truck.

Are these just made for a canopy and a bunch of weight? Or will they actually settle? As it stands I'm gonna be pulling a leaf or two out of the pack this weekend. Anyone have a similar situation and what leaf(s) did you pull to soften/lower it?

Truck is a 2001 TRD 4x4 ex cab, Bilstien 5100's, stock front coils set to max setting. I also have an aluminum toolbox and about 120lb of tools, mounted in the front of the box.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Post a pic of them so we can see which ones you bought.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I'd think you could just pull the bottom ones above the overload or maybe pull the overload too if it's that stiff. Get a few sand bags from home depot and flex the springs as much as you can.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Brrap634 is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
Brrap634's Tacoma Gallery
I have some alcan leafs and I love them. I only have the 3'' lift so they are not as high as yours but my perform great and ride good as well...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblum View Post
They are so flipping stiff and high!!! I bought them used from a guy who got them from Wheelers Offroad. Supposed to be a 3" lift but it looks like 5-6", rides like it's solid mounted frame to axle. I figured they'd be broken in already but he only used them for 2 months before selling his truck.

Are these just made for a canopy and a bunch of weight? Or will they actually settle? As it stands I'm gonna be pulling a leaf or two out of the pack this weekend. Anyone have a similar situation and what leaf(s) did you pull to soften/lower it?

Truck is a 2001 TRD 4x4 ex cab, Bilstien 5100's, stock front coils set to max setting. I also have an aluminum toolbox and about 120lb of tools, mounted in the front of the box.
Do they have poly bushings? Did you tighten the shit out of the mounts?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
This too!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
ckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of light
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Yes poly bushings. At first I thought that, loosened them up but they still look kinda squished, but the nuts are almost loose on the lock washers.

They are supposed to be only a 3" lift. My old springs were very saggy so I meant its about 5-6" over that height. I'd say it's about 4" over stock though. I'm going dirt biking this weekend so I'll grab some sandbags and load them up when I'm at the river. How much weight would you guys say to help break these in?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
mine ride like butter, they have the red poly bushings. how tight are you supposed to tighten them? i cranked em pretty good
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes poly bushings. At first I thought that, loosened them up but they still look kinda squished, but the nuts are almost loose on the lock washers.

They are supposed to be only a 3" lift. My old springs were very saggy so I meant its about 5-6" over that height. I'd say it's about 4" over stock though. I'm going dirt biking this weekend so I'll grab some sandbags and load them up when I'm at the river. How much weight would you guys say to help break these in?

1) you need to post center of hub to fender measurements
2) any "breaking in" time is significantly decreased if you do it offroad. 500 miles on road = about 100 off road.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
I wonder if wheelers sent you the correct leaf pack
Bought them used
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATABULLETcom View Post
mine ride like butter, they have the red poly bushings. how tight are you supposed to tighten them? i cranked em pretty good
You replace the nuts with some nylock ones. Just snug... they're supposed to rotate unlike the rubber bushing. I replaced all my hardware with some grade 8 stuff.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You replace the nuts with some nylock ones. Just snug... they're supposed to rotate unlike the rubber bushing. I replaced all my hardware with some grade 8 stuff.
oh k thanx for that info, didnt know that. i need to go replace my nuts and loosen them
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
500 miles on road = about 100 on road.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II View Post

meant "off"

fixed

what beer do you want? I'm not taking no for an answer either MR!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
meant "off"

fixed

what beer do you want? I'm not taking no for an answer either MR!
Oh there is an awesome beer store right next to the beach house so just get when we all get there.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II View Post
Oh there is an awesome beer store right next to the beach house so just get when we all get there.
Done.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Also I found some TRD springs from a 2nd Gen in CL used, about 20-30 000km on them. Does anyone know if the 2nd Gen springs are taller/stiffer and will give me lift? Cause the Toytec Eibachs only lift 2nd Gens 1.5" but lift a 1st Gen 3"???

They are real cheap and so am I right now. Putting money towards shinier, expensive, more important things for now.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also I found some TRD springs from a 2nd Gen in CL used, about 20-30 000km on them. Does anyone know if the 2nd Gen springs are taller/stiffer and will give me lift? Cause the Toytec Eibachs only lift 2nd Gens 1.5" but lift a 1st Gen 3"???

They are real cheap and so am I right now. Putting money towards shinier, expensive, more important things for now.

Like I said at this point you never even measured so please provide us with accurate numbers if you want accurate answers.

Every post in here is pure speculation.

You need to provide data to get data
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Alright here's some measurements, I'm thinking of going with Eibach coils up front so maybe someone could give me that measurement as well as th measurement of their Alcans?

Front centre of hub to fender is 23", stock TRD coils with 5100 on max
Rear centre of hub to fender is 26.5", Alcans 3" (?) springs

Post up your measurements, maybe my fronts are just super saggy,