Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Are new UCAs needed on a lift?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Are new UCAs needed on a lift?

Ok, so Im looking at getting a lift. Interested in coilovers. What is the exact reason of getting new UCAs? Do I need to get them? Obviously Im new to this.
If I didnt get coilovers and went the OME 885 with 5100s, what about the UCAs?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need them but they will help with getting your alinment right. I will be getting some soon. My truck leaks to the right a bit and they told me thats the best they could get it. Also from what i understand the it makes the ride alot better.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have 885's and 5100's for my double cab with Total Chaos UCA's. I got them for that exact reason, to get the alignment right. Rides great!!! No complaints at all!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Check out this thread - Reason for after-market UCAs
Dang you know what, I think my tires rub on my UCA's as well sometimes. I could have sworn this one day when I was washing my truck that there was some black rubber stuck to the UCA's!!! Or am I freaking out?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
What's the backspacing on your rims and what size tires are you running?
Not to sure about the backspacing but they are a -12 offset and I'm running 285/65-18's, NDG's.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So after looking at UCAs what is the difference between total chaos, icon and like the light upper racing UCAs that toytec sells.

Im trying to make this right, but not spend a TON of money.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
So after looking at UCAs what is the difference between total chaos, icon and like the light upper racing UCAs that toytec sells.

Im trying to make this right, but not spend a TON of money.
I was the same way. Everyone pointed me towards the TC UCA's though. I know their pricey but they are worth it!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
TC = sex
New Camburgs = Sex

You don't NEED new UCAs - but I'd recommend them. I drove for 20k miles with a 3" OME coil lift and the stock UCAs.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
TC = sex
New Camburgs = Sex

You don't NEED new UCAs - but I'd recommend them. I drove for 20k miles with a 3" OME coil lift and the stock UCAs.
was that with or without new 5100s?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
was that with or without new 5100s?
actually it was without 5100s -- OME shocks on all 4 corners back then.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
actually it was without 5100s -- OME shocks on all 4 corners back then.
Ok, so heres what Im thinking for the beginning and then getting 5100s later....OME 885s, AAL, TC UCA, diff drop, and 3 degree axle adjustments...does that sound like a good start, then get the 5100s?
Oh, by the way..whats the difference between the 885 and 886?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Ok, so heres what Im thinking for the beginning and then getting 5100s later....OME 885s, AAL, TC UCA, diff drop, and 3 degree axle adjustments...does that sound like a good start, then get the 5100s?
That sounds about right. I have that exact same setup excluding the 3 degree axle adjustments. You don't need the 886's unless you are going to add any more weight to the front of your truck for example, different bumper, wench, bull bars, etc.... The 885's will do just fine.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
^^
What he said and you'll be good
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
That sounds about right. I have that exact same setup excluding the 3 degree axle adjustments. You don't need the 886's unless you are going to add any more weight to the front of your truck for example, different bumper, wench, bull bars, etc.... The 885's will do just fine.
Thanks a lot fellas. I think that I have an understanding about this now...this all stemmed from fiances dad. Has a bad ass jeep (i mean stroker motor, custom axles, air lockers, gears, the whole 9) and we went wheeling on his trails today. Yea, soon to be father in law with his own personal trails hes made...I love it already. +1 to you both
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
885's are a 600# spring rate, while the 886's are a 650# spring rate. Unless you are running extra weight in the front, stick with the 885's.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Thanks a lot fellas. I think that I have an understanding about this now...this all stemmed from fiances dad. Has a bad ass jeep (i mean stroker motor, custom axles, air lockers, gears, the whole 9) and we went wheeling on his trails today. Yea, soon to be father in law with his own personal trails hes made...I love it already.
Nice!! You have to remember though that if your going to do a lot of off-roading, you will need to get the right wheels/tires or else rubbing issues will be a b---h!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #20

Yep..Ive been looking..the tires will come after what I have will be worn out...which arent bad, but well you know...arent what I will need once I have my lift. Im not sure about getting aftermarket wheels. Im looking into 1.25 spacers and just painting the stocks black. I like their look, but want black ones.