Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Opinions on Tuff Country lift kits?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
TacomaTRD08 is on a distinguished road

TacomaTRD08's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on Tuff Country lift kits?

Hey just wondering who here has a tuff country lift in their truck and how do u like it??
Old 01-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Bighit is on a distinguished road
Bighit's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the 3" lift with AAL rear. The AAL rear is close to 2" but will probably settle a bit. So far I love it. It stiffened things up slightly, which the truck really needed. I've only had it on for 3 months so I can't give a long term review, but I don't foresee any problems. I am still running stock wheels and tires but will go to 285/70/17 with new wheels when stock tires wear down.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
TacomaTRD08 is on a distinguished road

TacomaTRD08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighit View Post
I've got the 3" lift with AAL rear. The AAL rear is close to 2" but will probably settle a bit. So far I love it. It stiffened things up slightly, which the truck really needed. I've only had it on for 3 months so I can't give a long term review, but I don't foresee any problems. I am still running stock wheels and tires but will go to 285/70/17 with new wheels when stock tires wear down.
so how does it drive down roads?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Bighit is on a distinguished road
Bighit's Tacoma Gallery
It's great. Very slightly stiffer. I would call it a bit "truckier" and I actually prefer the slightly stiffer ride. None of my family have noticed a signifcant difference. The truck tracks straight and handling is responsive.
Before I purchased it, I talked to a local tire dealer who bad mouthed it and said they had seen some real messes and bad wear problems. They don't carry Tuff Country. I did a bunch of searches and couldn't find any complaints on line. One thing you can pretty much count on, is that there will be online complaints and discussions about a product that really sucks. I chalked it up to sour grapes and went for it. One thing I was pleasantly surpised with, is that the truck was actually a bit higher than I expected. It came out over 3" front and 2" rear. I hope it settles a bit in the rear as I want it level and it is still slightly high in the back. So far I am very pleased.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
My local dealer quit carrying Tuff Country for the same reason as post #4 mentioned. I actually installed a 3" TC lift on a Jeep Wrangler. It made the ride unbearable and never tracked right again. The jeep would dive to the LEFT if you let go of the wheel. They tried and tried moving shit around to make it work and it just failed. I ended up having to sell the Jeep and move on.

Could have been the shop, could have been the lift, could have just been my luck. But I couldnt bring myself to try another one. So I can attest for one complaint.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Had a TC 5.5" lift on my Durango 4x4 -- It worked well.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Freestyler is just really niceFreestyler is just really niceFreestyler is just really niceFreestyler is just really niceFreestyler is just really nice

Freestyler's Tacoma Gallery
i just got a TC 3 inch lift on my 05 tacoma, and loving it.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
mauitaco_03 is on a distinguished road
Army: SGT delta company 1-58th avn reg.
mauitaco_03's Tacoma Gallery
N E one have a 3" tuff country lift on a 05+ prerunner??? will it work on a prerunner??
Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
adamrsu is on a distinguished road
adamrsu's Tacoma Gallery
They claim it works fine on a Prerunner. I just ordered one for my 07 TRD. We'll see how she rides.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Any further updates on these kits? I am considering one for my 04 4x4.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Lets revive this thread!!!!!!!!

I am buying one off Craigslist....its new in box with rear shocks......for $125

Its a great price, I cant pass it up.....But im worried about how it will affect my remaining components(suspension)

Will I have to have the front end realligned.....? rear too???
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TRD View Post

Its a great price, I cant pass it up.....But im worried about how it will affect my remaining components(suspension)

That. is. cheap.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TRD View Post

I do beleive you'll have to reallign the front.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
AZTacoma19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Hunter
AZTacoma19's Tacoma Gallery
I got a 05 prerunner. Looking at 3in TC. Let me know if I should do it or not
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
callahansd is on a distinguished road

Army: 11A
callahansd's Tacoma Gallery
Bringing it back! Continued Question...

Alignment...... Iv been happy with this cheap lift for 6 years now and now I am interested in fixing the alignment issue once and for all...

1. will the Light Racing UCRs be the fix?

2. and will I need to tell the shop they need to adjust them (since they are adjustable)?

3. Will the company alignment specs work with 3in(ish) lift and 33"tires?

thanks boys...
-sean
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
This is what Ive got:
I have a 2010 with the 3" spacer lift. I really liked it at first because it gave me the look I wanted, and the room for bigger tires. Also it was affordable. I did notice it was a bit darty on the road, and I picked up a little vibration. I just figured it was a tire balance issue and kinda learned to live with it. After about two years I finally got fed up with it, and did some research and found that my alignment was maxed out, and this was the cause of the wandering or darting. I changed to Camburg upper control arms, and 3" coilovers. Now this truck drives like a dream! The vibration, which turned into a growl was the added stress of the lift on the needle bearings in the front diff. Toyota will not warranty because of the lift.

I am now gonna put in a front diff form ECGS with a ARB, and 4:88's. Do a search on this site and you'll learn a wealth of information, and the reasons guy don't like the spacer lifts. I think most of us have done and learned the harder way, and are just trying save others from doing the same. With that some are happy with it, and it fits their needs. Just my two cents.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
billyrayaf is on a distinguished road
Air Force: currently in 5th security forces
Name: billy
billyrayaf's Tacoma Gallery
TC lifts are all crap ive had one since 09 and cant wait to get rid of it. i put the 6inch on it and the front sunk to around 3 inches
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
johnnygolucky is on a distinguished road
johnnygolucky's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so I thought I'd bump this old thread. Been a stalker for quite some time and it's time to show my balls to the world and ask a question.

Head gasket on my 1994 finally said F.U. JGL!!! Being she was from Wisconsin, the bottom of the truck was more rust than not, so not worth putting cabbage into it. Off she goes to a new home, probably to be built as some ridiculous monster mudder. Sad to see old red go.

But nice to see the new White Steed! Picked up a 2008 Access Cab 4x4 V6 manual with only 29K last week in mint shape for a song and a dance. Love it is an under statement. So now the Visa is saying, "Johnny, let's go shopping!"

Being that I have some almost new 265 Toyo's on her I'll hold off on getting 285's till it's time. But still want to get a 3" lift and have been looking at the Tuff Country that Les Schwabb would instal for a fair price. Also getting some 16" Pro Comp 7089's as I've read the 16's do indeed fit pass the calipers.
I'm not wheeling, not doing the Runicon or planning a Coupe De Grace on some foreign land. Just fire and forest roads, trips up the Cascades to go skiing and eventually want the 285's.

Knowing that my daily driving doesn't entail wearing Viking horns or shooting flames out my rear-ed while yelling "whoot whoot give'er!", how do people like the Tuff Country 3" lift on the Taco? Any problems? Any suggestions?

Appreciate all the insight.