Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Changing UCA's question

Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Changing UCA's question

I'm doing my LR UCA swap tonight and tomorrow. I need to know how to separate the ball-joint shaft from the spindle? I would prefer not to use a fork and tear up the boot. I called to AutoZone but they said all they had was the pickle fork. I know there is a tool that pushes the shaft up through the spindle but I cant think of the name of it. Or if any one has an idea please speak up.

Also any pitfalls I should look out for while doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ball joint seperator.

This
http://www.autopartsandstuff.com/wil...ointsepar.aspx
Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
hammer
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Hammer.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...i_kw={keyword}
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
I'm doing my LR UCA swap tonight and tomorrow. I need to know how to separate the ball-joint shaft from the spindle? I would prefer not to use a fork and tear up the boot. I called to AutoZone but they said all they had was the pickle fork. I know there is a tool that pushes the shaft up through the spindle but I cant think of the name of it. Or if any one has an idea please speak up.

Thanks in advance.

This

loosen nut but don't remove
hammer on the spindle
if that doesn't work

remove nut
put nut on upside down and level with BJ bolt
tap upwards
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
I put in mine 2 days ago, just hammer it carefully it should come right off.

Also any pitfalls I should look out for while doing this. YES

BE SURE to hold onto the spindle while your doing it tho, or it could mess up the abs data cable thats attached to it if it falls freely after you seperate the stock uca. You need to unbolt the bracket on the uca that is holding it and then carefully pry the cable out of the bracket so you dont let it bend sharply while your doing the swap, cause it will be under some tension.

getting the long bolt out was the ruff part tho.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post

Thanks in advance.

This

Ask for this: Pitman arm puller.

They have it for rent.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
loosen nut but don't remove
hammer on the spindle
if that doesn't work

remove nut
put nut on upside down and level with BJ bolt
tap upwards
Thanks for all the replies this is actually what ended up working the best- hitting the spindle with a hammer. Leaving the nut on is key.

The only thing was the amount I had to bend on the passenger side inner fender. I really had to bend it a significant amount it looked like $h!t especially knowing my truck hasn't even had its first oil change. Either way it wasn't hard it did take me about 3 or 4 hours doing it by my self in my garage.