Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment after installing 5100's

Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment after installing 5100's

Got alignment done after I installed 5100's set at 2.5 with stock springs. According to the print out it seems that they were able to get the alignment within stock specs...

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
It's not good. Look at the red indicator for caster. Didn't they discuss that with you? It's gotta wander like a mother. Maybe have them lose some camber to get more caster? Install aftermarket UCAs? You should have read here that you cannot jack up the 5100s to 2.5 without some kind of mod.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Apparently you can, but just with a lot of caster
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
It's not good. Look at the red indicator for caster. Didn't they discuss that with you? It's gotta wander like a mother. Maybe have them lose some camber to get more caster? Install aftermarket UCAs? You should have read here that you cannot jack up the 5100s to 2.5 without some kind of mod.
It doesn't wander, drives straight, yes I do need UCA's...

The good news is that camber is within specs and my tires shouldn't wear funny...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
Got alignment done after I installed 5100's set at 2.5 with stock springs. According to the print out it seems that they were able to get the alignment within stock specs...

even without new uca's , the guy who aligned this should have been able to get more caster than that. That is brutal. I have a hard time believing your steering doesnt feel loose. Have you taken your truck on the highway yet? I am guessing your tech set the toe and ignored the rest.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
even without new uca's , the guy who aligned this should have been able to get more caster than that. That is brutal. I have a hard time believing your steering doesnt feel loose. Have you taken your truck on the highway yet? I am guessing your tech set the toe and ignored the rest.
Had it up to 74mph on highway (speed limit is 65 around here), everyone drives 8-10mph over. It feels solid and drives good. I know they moved the LCA bolts. I remember in what position they were, because I installed the 5100's the day before and the easiest way how to swap shocks on Tacoma is to loosen the LCA bolts.

I had it pedal to the metal on local 1/8mile dirt track last night and it felt solid.

At the end of the day I am ok with the alignment as far as the camber is somewhat normal and wont wear my new expensive tires in a weird way...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had it up to 74mph on highway (speed limit is 65 around here), everyone drives 8-10mph over. It feels solid and drives good. I know they moved the LCA bolts. I remember in what position they were, because I installed the 5100's the day before and the easiest way how to swap shocks on Tacoma is to loosen the LCA bolts.

I had it pedal to the metal on local 1/8mile dirt track last night and it felt solid.

At the end of the day I am ok with the alignment as far as the camber is somewhat normal and wont wear my new expensive tires in a weird way...
If you are happy, and it steers proper that is what matters at the end of the day.
My caster was initially just over 1 after my lift and alignment. There was no doubt that my steering quality had been compromised. Since installing my more adjustable uca's my caster is at 2.4 and I am can essentially keep the truck steady with one finger if I choose.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
If you are happy, and it steers proper that is what matters at the end of the day.
My caster was initially just over 1 after my lift and alignment. There was no doubt that my steering quality had been compromised. Since installing my more adjustable uca's my caster is at 2.4 and I am can essentially keep the truck steady with one finger if I choose.
However I see your point about the caster. I have no choice, but to start saving for UCA's

Hopefully I wont do any permanent damage to the suspension by running it with the caster so out of whack
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
All I know is you did this down the street from me
Lol the shop is by my house... I live by Indian School and 24th st...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hopefully I wont do any permanent damage to the suspension by running it with the caster so out of whack
Low caster won't damage or wear anything. It should make it squirrely as hell on the freeway is all. If it's not then no harm done. I just don't understand how it can be. Maybe it's your camber plus your tires just happen to hit a sweet spot?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
Low caster won't damage or wear anything. It should make it squirrely as hell on the freeway is all. If it's not then no harm done. I just don't understand how it can be. Maybe it's your camber plus your tires just happen to hit a sweet spot?
Mine seems fine on the highway with a 1.5 caster, but you can tell the wheel is back and it now rubs on a turn over a bump on the cab mount
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Does anyone know if adding a larger tire will throw out the alignment?
No , it won't