Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

trying to decide on a lift

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
trying to decide on a lift

after spending several months researching nightly on this site... i've boiled my lift decision down to three different set ups. My truck is a 2012 DCSB TRD sport with 4 leaf's per side in the rear from factory

my goal is to
-run 265/75/16's on ATX mojave 16x8 4.5in backspacing (so i dont need to regear and wont lose much power or mpg)
-have a little more ground clearance for MILD offroading
-have the ride and handling be the same as stock. or better. dont want it to ride like a skateboard
-keep cost down.. not require new UCA's

lift 1
-5100's front/rear set to 1.75 with factory TRD sport springs (with taco lean shim on drivers side)

lift 2
-5100's front/rear set to no lift with OME 885 coils (with taco lean shim on drivers side).

lift 3
-Full OME lift with 885's and dakar leaf's (with taco lean shim on drivers side)

i've had OME springs before and they were great.. but that was on a completely different vehicle. I'm leaning towards lift 2 but lift 1 would be nice to keep cost down. How much better are the OME coils with 5100's then TRD stock coils set at 1.75? Do you need UCA's with the full OME lift since it's close to 3in? Will i get vibes with any or all of those lifts? Thanks in advance!

all parts would be coming from here. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm best place i've found unless someone says different

will be going on this.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I vote option 3. I just ordered a full OME kit, couldnt tell you much about it because its not on yet. Oh and not sure you need the drivers side spacer if you use stock coils, iirc the stock coils are longer on the driver side to compensate for the added weight, not sure if this would matter or not with 5100s, maybe ask someone who has that setup, nice truck by the way.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Laplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant futureLaplataninja has a brilliant future
Laplataninja's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with lift #3 i did the ome lift kit on my 12 rides nice
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
VTTACOMA is on a distinguished road

Name: Benj
VTTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I would go option 3. I think the Dakar springs are the way to go for a better long term ride. I just ordered the Ultimate w/ Dakar rear leafs from Toytec. I did do the UCA from Icon, once again better fro long term. Longer life on tires etc...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Go with option 3
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
after spending several months researching nightly on this site... i've boiled my lift decision down to three different set ups. My truck is a 2012 DCSB TRD sport with 4 leaf's per side in the rear from factory

my goal is to
-run 265/75/16's on ATX mojave 16x8 4.5in backspacing (so i dont need to regear and wont lose much power or mpg)
-have a little more ground clearance for MILD offroading
-have the ride and handling be the same as stock. or better. dont want it to ride like a skateboard
-keep cost down.. not require new UCA's

lift 1
-5100's front/rear set to 1.75 with factory TRD sport springs (with taco lean shim on drivers side)

lift 2
-5100's front/rear set to no lift with OME 885 coils (with taco lean shim on drivers side).

lift 3
-Full OME lift with 885's and dakar leaf's (with taco lean shim on drivers side)

i've had OME springs before and they were great.. but that was on a completely different vehicle. I'm leaning towards lift 2 but lift 1 would be nice to keep cost down. How much better are the OME coils with 5100's then TRD stock coils set at 1.75? Do you need UCA's with the full OME lift since it's close to 3in? Will i get vibes with any or all of those lifts? Thanks in advance!

all parts would be coming from here. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm best place i've found unless someone says different

will be going on this.

Where are you getting your lean shim from?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
I have option 3, its a good choice, but you will want new uca's with it. (not critical but advised) Youll prolly want bigger tires than that tho or it will look funny. Have a look at my build thread to see what #3 looks like for before and after.

You have a 50/50 chance of getting vibes after any lift really. If you cheap out, you get cheap results tho, so bear that in mind.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
I have option 3, its a good choice, but you will want new uca's with it. (not critical but advised) Youll prolly want bigger tires than that tho or it will look funny. Have a look at my build thread to see what #3 looks like for before and after.

You have a 50/50 chance of getting vibes after any lift really. If you cheap out, you get cheap results tho, so bear that in mind.
i checked out your build... the stance looks perfect and im sure it rides like a dream.

the reason i was leaning towards option 2 was to keep the cost down.. it wouldnt look dumb with 265's.. wouldnt need UCA's.. and since i'd have OME springs on the front it might ride alright.

i'll be doing the install myself
Lift 1 = $315 without shipping (5100s front/rear) front lift/level only
Lift 2 = $483 without shipping (5100's front/rear with 5mm shim and OME 885 springs) front lift/level only
Lift 3 = $1817 without shipping (full OME with dakar's with 5mm shim and Total Caos UCA's) full front and rear lift

the price of UCA's pretty much puts the 3rd option out of reach... if i was going to spend that much on a lift it would be the RCD 4.5in for $1800

does anyone have direct experience with the 5100's and OME springs? or the 5100's and 1.75in with stock TRD sport springs?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I got 885s & Dakars and love them. For me 3" front & rear. With stock UCAs castor is not quite in specs but drives fine.
Or if you go #2 get the OME shocks in stead of the Billies
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i checked out your build... the stance looks perfect and im sure it rides like a dream.

the reason i was leaning towards option 2 was to keep the cost down.. it wouldnt look dumb with 265's.. wouldnt need UCA's.. and since i'd have OME springs on the front it might ride alright.

i'll be doing the install myself
Lift 1 = $315 without shipping (5100s front/rear) front lift/level only
Lift 2 = $483 without shipping (5100's front/rear with 5mm shim and OME 885 springs) front lift/level only
Lift 3 = $1817 without shipping (full OME with dakar's with 5mm shim and Total Caos UCA's) full front and rear lift

the price of UCA's pretty much puts the 3rd option out of reach... if i was going to spend that much on a lift it would be the RCD 4.5in for $1800

does anyone have direct experience with the 5100's and OME springs? or the 5100's and 1.75in with stock TRD sport springs?
Looks like this guys has 5100s and 885s maybe ask him http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...acs-build.html
I went with option 3 and spent a little less than that, full OME from downsouth motorsports $1150 shipped and light racing UCAs from headstrong $355 shipped so im at $1505
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
MMAN412 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
MMAN412's Tacoma Gallery
What do yall think about the ready lift 3in kit?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
With the 885's only giving maybe 2 inches of lift I don't think you will need new UCA's. I coulb be wrong. If it was me with that truck I would get the full OME kit. Yes it will be more money in the end but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #13

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Looks like this guys has 5100s and 885s maybe ask him http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...acs-build.html
I went with option 3 and spent a little less than that, full OME from downsouth motorsports $1150 shipped and light racing UCAs from headstrong $355 shipped so im at $1505
good information.. thank you. i may end up going that route since that's what everyone is suggesting. The only snag now is tire size... 265/75/16's will look real small with the OME complete lift... and i dont want to regear to go to 285's especially living in the hills of WV.

commented on his build about his ride/opinion.. good reference.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
good information.. thank you. i may end up going that route since that's what everyone is suggesting. The only snag now is tire size... 265/75/16's will look real small with the OME complete lift... and i dont want to regear to go to 285's especially living in the hills of WV.

commented on his build about his ride/opinion.. good reference.
Alot of people run 285s without regearing, im sure you will find some more information and be happy with your decision, just keep reading build threads and asking people questions. Most guys will say OME is the best bang for your buck but really whatever fits your needs will be the best for you. Personally i justify spending the extra cash on the OME because my leafs are shot and i haul and tow alot so i need the beefy rear setup, also i just dont like the idea of preloading coils, its not the best choice if you want your suspension to perform well offroad.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Alot of people run 285s without regearing, im sure you will find some more information and be happy with your decision, just keep reading build threads and asking people questions. Most guys will say OME is the best bang for your buck but really whatever fits your needs will be the best for you. Personally i justify spending the extra cash on the OME because my leafs are shot and i haul and tow alot so i need the beefy rear setup, also i just dont like the idea of preloading coils, its not the best choice if you want your suspension to perform well offroad.
i agree... which is why i was thinking OME coils on the 5100's instead of preloaded the stock coils.

how many miles did you have when the stock leaf's broke down? did you have the TSB? mine has 2600 miles so it'll be a while till stock suspension breaks down.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #16

I dont have the tsb, and i have 25,000 miles and my leafs have negative arch, i started noticing it getting bad around 18,000 probably. I have a constant 150 lbs in the bed, and i haul tools and lumber almost everyday, plus i tow my friends trailer (4,500 lbs.) i have also overloaded it a few times...18 bags of concrete and a few hundred pounds of 2x12s on the racks ...whoops, 6 squares of shingles and tools...whoops. Sometimes i think i should have gotten a full size truck. If the dakars cant handle what im hauling and towing im thinking ill get airbags also.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #17

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know what the amount of lift will be from 5100's set to 0 with OME885 coils?

will the 5100's with OME 885 coils be level or nose high... with factory 4 leaf in the rear.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
885s on OME shocks with the 13mm spacer will give you 3" of lift. Mine was 3 1/4" before it settled. It's worth the money to buy the OME setup. PM Marco at DSM. Hell hook ya up. Should be lookin at around $1300 til you buy the spacers and leaf bushings plus freight on the leafs
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
doesnt matter what we tell you, in the end you will go for #3......today or someday and wish you started there lol. We all did it. You also dont have to regear with 285s if you get P rated. Just did today with my 4 banger and its fine
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
does anyone know what the amount of lift will be from 5100's set to 0 with OME885 coils?

will the 5100's with OME 885 coils be level or nose high... with factory 4 leaf in the rear.
yes. That gives you close to a full 3" lift. you would need either the AAL or full pack