1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice before I go to the shop

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JAK, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    JAK

JAK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    Alright, so I've been researching this forum for at least 2 months learning about lifts and whatnot. I got my 2011 TRD sport 4x4 about a month ago and today I called a local truck shop about getting a small lift.

I told him I was looking at lifting her 2.5-3 inches and I told him that the previous owner had already thrown on some big tires (265/70R17 cooper discoverer stt). He replied that with tires that size, the first owner had most likely also installed a leveling kit because I told him I had no rubbing issues. I have no idea if my truck has a leveling kit or not (again, I don't know anything about this stuff).

The issue here is that the guy told me I had limited options with a 2011 tacoma. He told me other than a leveling kit, I would be looking at an expensive suspension set up, something I don't need nor want. I'm willing to spend $800-$1000 on this. After all the reading on this forum, I was looking at getting 5100s on the front and add a leaf to lift the rear because it seems like everyone on here recommends that set up.

Basically, I wanted any input ya'll might have before I go to the shop on saturday so they can at least take a look at it. I plan on asking about the 5100s and rear aal to see what he says.

Here's a picture of my truck for reference.
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Take a peek and a pic of front coilovers and rear leef pack at the axel, then we can tell if it has been altered.
    Looks stock from the stance.

3. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Looks stock to me. And if there is any cheapo kit in there just ask them to take it out when they install the 5100s and AAL.

4. Oct 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  5. Oct 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    With a budget of $1000 and paying a mechanic to install it, just get this and call it a day: Don't need the diff drop kit and don't need the top plate spacers. Stay below 2.5" lift else you will need aftermarket control arms (extra $600-$800) to achieve correct alignment.

[​IMG]

6. Oct 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    If I were spending 1000 I would do exactly what I did to mine this month.
    1- 5100 front and back 300-400
    2 Eibachs/OME coils depending on what you like - 160
    3 - Rear AAL - 100
    4 - Light Racing UCAs - 375
    -----
    Thats about 1000 bucks and you will get 2.5-3 " front depending on if you go eibach or OME, and another 1.5-2" rear and have perfect alignment with the UCAs
    -
    EDIT - pretty much that same kit the guy above me said, just seen it now. But I would always go for the UCA upgrade and especially right now where you can get the super cheap from a few people, because people who say they dont need them have never driven with them and dont know how smooth a ride you get after

7. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM
    JRod4928

JRod4928 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Antenna X Black Mesh Grillcraft with Tacoma Badge (Upper) and Cross (Lower) 18" BMF Wheels / Cooper 31.5" Tires 2" Leveling Kit

That tire size is right on the edge of fitting without trimming as long as you have stock rims, which it appears you do. If you get rims with less backspacing (rims that stick out farther), you'll need a lift to avoid trimming.

What do you do with your truck? do you go off-roading, ever? or is it a street queen? I know the general consensus is to get a true suspension lift, and for the most part, theyre right. but if your driving is 99.99% on pavement, and you don't jump speed bumps at the mall. You might be fine with a spacer lift and AAL.

Products Discussed in

To Top