Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

best way to get a lift

Old 01-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
best way to get a lift

i have the adjustable 5100's set to 1.75 right now.

i want to be able to get about a 3 or 4 inch lift on my truck.

can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhi View Post
i have the adjustable 5100's set to 1.75 right now.

i want to be able to get about a 3 or 4 inch lift on my truck.

can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this?
new set of coils for the front, and aal's for the rear.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
My other ride Hovers
Alaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Helicopter Flight Mechanic
Alaskaflyer's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec sells a coilover kit for your shocks that would give you up to 3.5" of lift and a AAL in the back would do you just fine. if you plan on going higher I would go with some new UCA's as well.

Gary
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Toytec sells a coilover kit for your shocks that would give you up to 3.5" of lift and a AAL in the back would do you just fine. if you plan on going higher I would go with some new UCA's as well.

Gary
do u think u can give me a link to those.

would the shocks be set at 2.5? and then coil overs add another lift?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
do u think u can give me a link to those.

would the shocks be set at 2.5? and then coil overs add another lift?
no.......you will not need to preload the coils. set the shocks back to the stock setting when you use the new coils..............the coils will give the lift.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
so i would get this right?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

why not just set the shocks to stock height and get this

Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
so i would get this right?

why not just set the shocks to stock height and get this

the second link will be fine.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
My other ride Hovers
Alaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura about

You could go either way, they will both achieve the amount of lift you are looking for, one has the option of being adjustable. I am going with the 885 coils myself, got them sitting in the garage right now, just need to get my TC UCA's and I'll be ready to go!

Gary
Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
heres the thing.
i could adjust my shocks to 2.5 and get it aligned for like 100- dollars.

or i could get the 2nd kit and get .5 inches more for 300 dollars.

what would you guys suggest?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Just have your shocks moved up to the top setting
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
My other ride Hovers

If it were me it would depend on how your truck rode with the shocks adjusted all the way up. If it rides to your liking and you can fit the size tires you want just stick with your current set up. A lot of people run the 5100's and are very happy.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
if i went to a shop and had them extend the shocks to the max what else what i need besides alignment
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
My other ride Hovers

I'm pretty sure that would be it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #14
My other ride Hovers

How do you like your Magnaflow exhaust? I just got one but haven't installed it yet.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
what kind do u have?
the one im using is a signature ivan stewart series.
im sure theres no difference then the normal cat back.

but i love it.

it sounds great and fits the trucks personality/style.

not extremely low. but has a great classy tone and still makes people turn heads
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
oh ya.
and do u think 2.5 shocks. and some spacers would work?

or do the shocks have to be all the way down
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
My other ride Hovers

I just got the cat back, if it's like yours then it sounds like what I was looking for. I would avoid a spacer. if you want to go higher than what your shocks will give you, you will have to get some springs up there. The 885 kit from Toytec is an affordable way to go, spacers give an extremely harsh ride among other issues. It's an expensive addiction but with the model truck you have I wouldn't skimp.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery

like this?

would i have to put my shocks all the way down
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #19
My other ride Hovers

I believe so. You can call or email doug at Toytec, they should answer all your questions. Also talk to Neubs here on TW he can get you a discount.

Gary
Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #20
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

like this?

would i have to put my shocks all the way down
Yes -- your 5100s need to be at stock setting for those coils.