Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Differential Leak after Lift Blocks Install

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Hilts is on a distinguished road
Hilts's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Differential Leak after Lift Blocks Install

hi, i own a 2004 TRD Tacoma. i installed a 1.5" lift block kit to level it, on the rear axle last week and the ride has been more harsh. maybe i need an alignment?

so i've also been hearing a clunk sound every time i go in reverse out of the driveway, which i understand might be the slip yoke needing to be regreased. but i just noticed that a small oil stain on the front of the rear differential has appeared and now i'm a little worried cause she has never leaked anything in her 150k and i'm worried maybe the lift blocks were a bad idea.

my question is do you think i should get rid of the lift blocks and if so why did the rear differential start to leak all of a sudden? thankx for any help,
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The clunk may be due to the u-bolts not tight enough, re-torque them.

Don't know how the lift would cause a small leak. Did the blocks cause the front of the differential to tilt up or down? Some blocks have a slight angle to them.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Re-torque the u-bolts as mentioned above and also check for plan in the u-joints on the drive shaft for the clunk.

Blocks wouldn't cause a differential to leak. It might have exaggerated an existing problem or, by changing the angles of the axle to the drive shaft, caused the front seals to leak but that would mean the seals were going out anyways. Are you actually losing any oil or is there just a little oil staining on the front of the diff? If you park in the same spot every night, start looking under the truck for oil on the ground. That stain on the differential might be 50k miles old.